My second mavic that glitches video everytime I brake!
1136 5 2017-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chirag2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 227785 ft
Germany

Hello good people, I bought my first Dji mavic 3 weeks ago and was very excited to fly the first time but when I returned home to see the footage, I realised that there were certain glitches in the video.

Glitch timings:
1:20,
3:50
4:41
7:39

This was drone number one.

Things I had already done:
Every possible calibration
Latest firmware
Gimbal was placed correctly (w.r.t. tabs)

I contacted DJI request(#508804)
They told me that there was a problem with my mavic "that you won't be able to fix on your own" and that it should be returned to DJI through the dealer. At this point I had only owned the drone for a few days and hard as it was, I returned the drone to the dealer, invoking my 14 day right of return in Germany and informing him of the problem I was facing (he didn't have any other piece left for a replacement and offered a refund instead).

I opted to buy the same drone from a completely different retailer (this time alternate.de) and got another DJI mavic which this time came from a completely different part of the country. I start it up and guess what? Same problem.

Problems:
00:21
01:43
01:50 Also notice at 01:50 how when I go left or right, how the horizon tilts

Again, for this drone as well, things I had already done:
Every possible calibration
Latest firmware
Gimbal was placed correctly (w.r.t. tabs)

I did some extensive testing to isolate the problem and the problem occurs when I brake or accelerate. I have witnessed the glitch at the lowest speed of 10 km/hr, and there's a guaranteed glitch at any speed above 15 kmph. so if I brake (release both joysticks) from 15 km/hr, it will glitch 100% of the time. The other problem is that whenever I'm moving side to side, the horizon tilts noticeably.

In my previous drone the threshold was about 18 km/hr. There are some forums on the internet where other people have reported this problem and I am aware that if I release the brakes extremely slowly then the chances of getting a glitch will reduce significantly, but there are numerous people who have reported that their mavics didn't have this problem. Others suggested reducing braking sensitivity, thus causing the mavic take longer to brake, which personally I don't think is such a good idea.

Is this a device limitation? Are other mavics prone to this problem as well? Is there a batch of bad mavics?  
I'm sick and tired of not having a drone that works properly, and having so much of my money blocked with DJI for something that glitches. Both my drones have had identical problems and since DJI support asked me to return my first drone, I can't imagine this time it'll be any different.  Please advise!

Should I return this drone as well?

2017-4-29
Use props
PimpDawg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

Exact same problem with mine. I provided the original videos to DJI from my dropbox, they said their engineers reviewed and it and that it is normal. I disagree with their assessment but it is what it is. I've just learned to live with it-

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... mp;page=1#pid773485
2017-4-29
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

The mavic is a very nice machine but you have to remember it's basically a flying cellphone camera
2017-4-29
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Your Mavic is fine.  This is normal for 130% braking (default setting).  Try turning that down to 120 or lower.  It will help tremendously.  

Also, simply edit that out.  Who wants to watch an un-edited video anyway?  You're changing direction & setting up another shot.  You could try smoothly letting off the stick instead of letting go of it completely like a new flyer.   
2017-4-29
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

The tilted horizon thing is a pain, yes.  There's NO FIX for that - at all.  The DJI drones do this...  All of them.  It's not the biggest issue, since the topography of the ground differs in your shots, thereby partially obscuring the horizon.  It just really stinks for the occasional strafing shot.
2017-4-29
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Drone said it. In sport mode, high winds, default braking or braking at higher speeds you will get this. The gimbal hits the sides during the brake. I have a rear view camera installed so it's easier to see. The gimbal actually compensates for quite a bit. The horizon can be corrected in post, but most of the time don't bother.

You should have kept the first one, nothing wrong with it. Surprised dji wanted it back! Come to think about it when lost my 5d button they wanted mine back too but no way jose. I like the video it produces, wouldn't want the ass to face footage you have on that second mavic.
2017-4-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules