DJI Go 4 drains battery on Android
2510 18 2017-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DanTup
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13245 ft
United Kingdom

I have to keep uninstalling the DJI Go app and then reinstalling it before I fly because it's draining the battery on my phone (and causing it to get very hot). It's the latest version and has always done this (and does it on my friends Android phones too). I'm "exiting" the app by tapping the "Back" button to come out of "Go Fly" mode and then when on the screen that shows the devices/etc. I'm tapping it twice (if you tap it once, it says to tap it again to exit). Yet clearly it's not exiting, because it continues to drain the battery in the background.

My phone is a Moto X Play, though I can't imagine the issue is phone-specific.

drain.jpg

2017-4-29
Use props
bunny too
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13442 ft
United States

Sometimes that happens to me and sometimes it does not, I just click on the "force stop" in the app section on my phone.  One time it was using eighty sometihing percent of my battery.  Or you could try the free app "greenify" it works well.
Regards,
-d.
2017-4-29
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Are you feeding your MP twice a day??? It might be getting hungry for more power!
2017-4-29
Use props
DanTup
lvl.2
United Kingdom

bunny too Posted at 2017-4-29 11:16
Sometimes that happens to me and sometimes it does not, I just click on the "force stop" in the app section on my phone.  One time it was using eighty sometihing percent of my battery.  Or you could try the free app "greenify" it works well.
Regards,
-d.

I've started doing Force Stop too, but it randomly shows up still (possibly after a phone reboot?). Makes no sense why it's doing anything in the background if I "exited" using the back button (I can understand it continuing to run if you just switch apps, in case a call comes in or something).

I'm not going to use any unofficial apps because I suspect they wouldn't honour warranty/DJI Care Refresh if using a third party app (and it's possible the third party app is even less trustworthy!)
2017-4-29
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Are you guys actually killing the program or just exiting?  To kill the program and take it out of memory, you hit the soft button to the left of the exit (middle) button, then hit the right button to kill all running programs.  To just kill the Go program,   On Apple, you just double click the exit button and swipe up on each of the programs that appear under the main screen.
2017-4-29
Use props
DanTup
lvl.2
United Kingdom

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-4-29 14:57
Are you guys actually killing the program or just exiting?  To kill the program and take it out of memory, you hit the soft button to the left of the exit (middle) button, then hit the right button to kill all running programs.  To just kill the Go program,   On Apple, you just double click the exit button and swipe up on each of the programs that appear under the main screen.

I've tried both, but only "Force Stop" seems to stop it (temporarily). But in any case, doing the thing that the app says to exit, which is tapping the back button twice from the menu screen should work fine. The app should be fixed; the user shouldn't need to perform gymnastics every time they fly just to stop their battery drain - there's no reason for the app to be doing intensive work in the background when it's been told to exit.
2017-4-29
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

DanTup Posted at 2017-4-29 23:42
I've tried both, but only "Force Stop" seems to stop it (temporarily). But in any case, doing the thing that the app says to exit, which is tapping the back button twice from the menu screen should work fine. The app should be fixed; the user shouldn't need to perform gymnastics every time they fly just to stop their battery drain - there's no reason for the app to be doing intensive work in the background when it's been told to exit.

Just typical software inconsistency. Happens quite often unfortunately. Some time ago eBay app was doing this, Amazon app as well (thankfully it's been quite a few versions back). You're correct that DJI should fix this issue - but it'll take some time and this can return later on with some other update.

Oh well... until then just kill it ;-) and btw if you use greenify or app blocker this has nothing to do with DJI warranty - your firmware can have something to do with it, the app you use on the device can't.
2017-4-30
Use props
DanTup
lvl.2
United Kingdom

rnrnrn Posted at 2017-4-30 00:56
Just typical software inconsistency. Happens quite often unfortunately. Some time ago eBay app was doing this, Amazon app as well (thankfully it's been quite a few versions back). You're correct that DJI should fix this issue - but it'll take some time and this can return later on with some other update.

Oh well... until then just kill it ;-) and btw if you use greenify or app blocker this has nothing to do with DJI warranty - your firmware can have something to do with it, the app you use on the device can't.

Sure, I'm just here complaining because thing don't tend to get fixed unless people do. There's no reason for this bug to keep coming back, it's just poor coding and QA

Sorry, I misunderstood what greenify was, I thought it was an alternative app to DJI Go. However it seems that the permissions requirements are rather insane for what it does (like why does it need "draw over other windows") and I'm not a very trusting person!
2017-4-30
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Dan - Just so you know, this sort of thing has gone on for awhile.  The old program for the Phantom (DJI FLY I think) did the same thing after closing it.  People were finding their phones run down the next day.  Kicking it out of memory each time took care of it.  I tend to do that with all programs anyway.
2017-4-30
Use props
DanTup
lvl.2
United Kingdom

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-4-30 08:02
Dan - Just so you know, this sort of thing has gone on for awhile.  The old program for the Phantom (DJI FLY I think) did the same thing after closing it.  People were finding their phones run down the next day.  Kicking it out of memory each time took care of it.  I tend to do that with all programs anyway.

I thought I'd tried that and it hadn't worked (only Force Quit did) but I could be mistaken. I'll give it a try next time I notice this happening and see.

That said, I turned on "restrict background data" today (because I saw someone say it was updating no-fly-zones and other such crap - I also had it pop up randomly when I wasn't using it with new T&Cs a few weeks back!!) and it didn't happen after todays flight, so I wonder if that's managed to stop it doing whatever it was too.

Still, it'd be nice if DJI just fixed this. It's insane how an app can burn so much battery when it doesn't have anything useful to do!
2017-4-30
Use props
SeaComms
lvl.3
Flight distance : 568222 ft
Australia

I didn't see this thread as I was searching for Samsung issues - have the same problem on my Galaxy S7, despite not even running the program! Will be uninstalling it from my Samsung now.
2017-5-2
Use props
Etienne1968
lvl.1
Flight distance : 37684 ft
Netherlands

SeaComms Posted at 2017-5-2 00:54
I didn't see this thread as I was searching for Samsung issues - have the same problem on my Galaxy S7, despite not even running the program! Will be uninstalling it from my Samsung now.

Hi,

Using Samsung S7 Edge I also see this but I just kill the app if its running in the background and then I dont see it anymore in active tasks so for me this solved the problem.

I do have another question: is it normal that I every time have to choose the Mavic from the drop down list when I open the DjiGo 4 App?

Kind regards,
Etienne
2017-5-2
Use props
DanTup
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Etienne1968 Posted at 2017-5-2 02:28
Hi,

Using Samsung S7 Edge I also see this but I just kill the app if its running in the background and then I dont see it anymore in active tasks so for me this solved the problem.

Mine automatically switches to the Mavic when the controller connects to the Mavic?
2017-5-2
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

DanTup Posted at 2017-5-2 08:47
Mine automatically switches to the Mavic when the controller connects to the Mavic?

Yeah that's normal. When the rc is turned on it should ask if you want to fly litchi or dji go, tap just once. Least on android 6.

btw Can vouch for greenify. It's not really needed though, you can force stop the app, it should stay stopped. It drains on mine too.
2017-5-2
Use props
Thudd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624787 ft
United States

I use an app called advanced​ task killer. Auto kills running apps.
2017-5-2
Use props
Rhamphorhynchan
lvl.1
United States

Force stopping the app isn't helping on my S6 Galaxy Edge, I had to uninstall. Is it hiding from the developer process list now?
2017-10-26
Use props
AEM74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 332677 ft
United States

Mine does this too but then my Galaxy S8+ just notifies me to put it to sleep. Honestly, they need to work on fixing the Android app since there's so many bugs in it.
2017-10-26
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

On the Samsung series phones running 7.X, click "Settings", "Device Maintenance", then "Performance."  I usually click "battery" also. I put a shortcut on the home screen for quicker access.
2017-10-26
Use props
Rhamphorhynchan
lvl.1
United States

Thanks, I'd tried the device maintenance thing and had no success. TBH, the phone was still running hot even after uninstalling. It wasn't until I rebooted after uninstalling that it finally stopped. Gonna try reinstalling it, running it and seeing if a reboot without uninstalling clears the problem. Maybe it left an orphaned process hanging around that wasn't showing up in the process or services list. Always a bit disconcerting to find a cpu-hog that just won't die.
2017-10-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules