Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
In search of just Polarizing Filters
1368 9 2017-4-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dennis D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 143468 ft
  • >>>
United States

I purchased the 3 set of PolarPro ND+PL filters, but I'm disappointed with their degree of polarizing. Also, I'm not looking to always need a ND filter. Does anyone know if they make a polarizing filter without the ND added? Or, is there a better filter than the PolarPro?
2017-4-30
Use props
Simon Child
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153852 ft
United Kingdom

These may fit. They don't screw on but instead just slip inside your UV filter. They are for P4 so should fit inside your P4P UV filter but may or may not have light leakage around the edge. I have a set for my P4 but don't have any access to a P4P to test them on.

http://phantomfilters.bigcartel.com/products
2017-4-30
Use props
ALPHA_MAVIC
lvl.2
Australia

Is the the polar pro ones you got?  I am planning to buy them.   I am not sure if HD16/PL is enough and not sure if it is a good idea to have the PL on the ND filter....
2017-5-6
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Simon Child Posted at 2017-4-30 11:28
These may fit. They don't screw on but instead just slip inside your UV filter. They are for P4 so should fit inside your P4P UV filter but may or may not have light leakage around the edge. I have a set for my P4 but don't have any access to a P4P to test them on.

http://phantomfilters.bigcartel.com/products

I am not sure how much use a polarising filter would be if it slips inside the behind the UV filter. How would you adjust it?
2017-5-6
Use props
Dennis D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 143468 ft
  • >>>
United States

ALPHA_MAVIC Posted at 2017-5-6 19:36
Is the the polar pro ones you got?  I am planning to buy them.   I am not sure if HD16/PL is enough and not sure if it is a good idea to have the PL on the ND filter....

ALPHA_MAVIC,

It was pointed out to me that the P4P didn't really need ND filters since you are able to adjust ISO, shutter and f-stop. I didn't need to spend the $99 for the Polar Pro and haven't found a screw-on PL filter yet. I have seen some that slip on, but I'm not comfortable with that.
2017-5-8
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13925922 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Dennis D Posted at 2017-5-8 10:14
ALPHA_MAVIC,

It was pointed out to me that the P4P didn't really need ND filters since you are able to adjust ISO, shutter and f-stop. I didn't need to spend the $99 for the Polar Pro and haven't found a screw-on PL filter yet. I have seen some that slip on, but I'm not comfortable with that.

If you are filming and you want to set the recommended ratio shutter speed = double frame rate
there is no way without ND filters in bright daylight.
So don't throw them away yet ;-)
2017-5-8
Use props
ALPHA_MAVIC
lvl.2
Australia

Dennis D Posted at 2017-5-8 10:14
ALPHA_MAVIC,

I have a Mavic.

You are partly right..... it has iso shutter speed adjustment, but it doesnt have f-stop adjustment. As the is a prime lens.

Even at ISO 100, a sunny day sky is still way too bright for it which is when we need to ND  
2017-5-9
Use props
ALPHA_MAVIC
lvl.2
Australia

Eric13 Posted at 2017-5-8 11:07
If you are filming and you want to set the recommended ratio shutter speed = double frame rate
there is no way without ND filters in bright daylight.
So don't throw them away yet ;-)

I am check out how exactly we adjust the Polariser.  When we are on the ground, lights are in different angle as the camera will be pointing downward in the air.  I havent got a chance to play with it.
2017-5-9
Use props
Simon Child
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153852 ft
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2017-5-6 20:05
I am not sure how much use a polarising filter would be if it slips inside the behind the UV filter. How would you adjust it?

How do you adjust it anyway when it is 400ft in the air : )

This slip-in one is notched so you know which way you are installing it. In fact it is intended to be used in the same orientation for all uses, which works out pretty well. If using it much off that default then it may leak light through the notch.

Polarising filters have the most effect when 90degrees to the sun, so set it in that default position i.e. horizontal, and it will have the most effect when facing the way that polarising filters work best.

When facing the sun or away it will have little effect, but probably wouldn't have much effect even if you could adjust it.

And if somewhere between it will have some effect, but I agree not as much as if you could rotate it. I suspect it only really matters if you are planning a specific shot and take account of the sun position and adjust accordingly before you take-off.

I have done any specific with/without comparisons, but my impression is that it doesn't seem to cause any harm in any orientation of the P4, and seems to be generally useful.

2017-5-9
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Simon Child Posted at 2017-5-9 11:26
How do you adjust it anyway when it is 400ft in the air : )

This slip-in one is notched so you know which way you are installing it. In fact it is intended to be used in the same orientation for all uses, which works out pretty well. If using it much off that default then it may leak light through the notch.

All the CPL filters I have used on cameras need to be adjust fairly finely for best effect. OK on the notch, and I guess you could play with it on the ground and find the sweet spot.
2017-5-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules