Confusion about X5R and X5S
3550 19 2017-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ThePhantom
lvl.2

Norway

X5R can shoot both RAW and Prores, so can X5S, but X5S you have to pay extra license to do so?
2017-5-1
Use props
Gybo102
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

The X5R will shoot RAW in camera, It does NOT shoot ProRes in camera. You will either use the CineLight software or something like Davinci Resolve to convert to / create ProRes.

With the X5s, you need to purchase the license for the format you want to record. Raw and ProRes have their own license and fee. It sucks, but it is what it is.
2017-5-1
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Gybo hit the nail on the head.
2017-5-1
Use props
ThePhantom
lvl.2

Norway

Im confused, Dji advertises RAW and Prores for the X5R on their website, and have done so since they released the product.
http://www.dji.com/zenmuse-x5r

You can convert any format to any other format in post, so it doesnt make sense to advertise with Prores, if i have to convert in software
So, if understand it correctly, X5R shoots DNG onboard, and doesnt cost anything extra, the same does X5S, but that cost a license? Am i right?
2017-5-2
Use props
Skyclip
lvl.4
Flight distance : 347940 ft
  • >>>
Germany

ThePhantom Posted at 2017-5-2 01:55
Im confused, Dji advertises RAW and Prores for the X5R on their website, and have done so since they released the product.

To unload the RAW files off the X5R SSD, you need to use Cinelight on Mac and Camera Exporter on PC, both Software is provided by DJI. With the Software, you can choose in which Format you want your RAW Files wrapped, CinemDNG, ProRes etc.

The X5S wrappes the RAW Files with his CineCore in the Inspire 2 on the fly to the SSD, as set in the DJI Go App.
So you can directly download the "ready" CinemaDNG or ProRes to your Computer.

In the End, its the same result. Just takes a bit longer when using the X5R.
2017-5-2
Use props
ThePhantom
lvl.2

Norway

I get the idea about not getting the files off the camera without license, but i dont understand why i have to pay for DNG on the X5S, when i dont have to do so on the X5R?
Also Dji advertise X5R with Prores, its there on top of the page, if you click my link above.
2017-5-2
Use props
Gybo102
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

ThePhantom Posted at 2017-5-2 02:38
I get the idea about not getting the files off the camera without license, but i dont understand why i have to pay for DNG on the X5S, when i dont have to do so on the X5R?
Also Dji advertise X5R with Prores, its there on top of the page, if you click my link above.

When the licence information first came out, I was one of the first, IF NOT the first to make a stink about it. In the end, It is what it is... its not going to change. I am not happy about it, but I have accepted it. Here is my post:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-73978-1-1.html

Only reason I can see DJI putting "ProRes" with the X5R, is because you can "export" Prores using the required software. Bottom line, no ProRes in camera.

2017-5-2
Use props
ThePhantom
lvl.2

Norway

The whole thing doesnt make any sense, pro wise.
No pro photographer delivers their work straight off the bat, it may happen for particular reasons now and then, but once every 100 times, perhaps.
So, all we need is DNG, which takes a few minutes to mount in Resolve to Prores, therefore paying extra to load off prores straight from card is kinda like, really really nice to have, but very very far from need to have.
I understand that it IS like this now, but that fact alone, makes me look at other alternatives, if not, i wouldnt consider anything else.
I think someone is mistaking pro cinematography with bottomless pockets... I guess theyll figure it out when they start to compare revenue before and after ;)
2017-5-3
Use props
ckk.post
lvl.4
Denmark

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-1 20:46
Gybo hit the nail on the head.

gotta hear if you buy X5s
Can you not shoot raw without buying license ????
2017-7-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

ckk.post Posted at 2017-7-25 10:37
gotta hear if you buy X5s
Can you not shoot raw without buying license ????

No, RAW Burst Shooting is available without purchasing license, but it is saved in SSD card.
2017-7-25
Use props
ckk.post
lvl.4
Denmark

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-25 23:25
No, RAW Burst Shooting is available without purchasing license, but it is saved in SSD card.

You can not shoot any kind of raw on SD card without license
And what do you mean?   Burst Shooting
it is more shots in a row ???
2017-7-26
Use props
ckk.post
lvl.4
Denmark

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-25 23:25

Do you mind answering  ??

you can not shoot any kind of raw on SD card without license
And what do you mean?   Burst Shooting
it is more shots in a row ???
2017-7-27
Use props
sfdrones.tv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1257218 ft
  • >>>
United States

Scroll down the bottom and you will see a chart that shows the output of Cinelight - its from there you can output cinema dng, tiff or pro-res. The camera does not record natively in pro res.
2017-7-31
Use props
sfdrones.tv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1257218 ft
  • >>>
United States

The X5S shoots natively in pro res and cinema dng. To shoot Pro Res though, you need to buy the license.
The big advantage of this camera is that you no longer need to use Cinelite. You can plug the drive straight into your computer, thus eliminating a whole step in the post pathway.
2017-7-31
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

ckk.post Posted at 2017-7-27 08:57
Do you mind answering  ??

Sorry for the late response. Your understanding about Burst Shooting is right.
For X5S, raw video cannot be shot without license and SSD card.
You can only take DNG pictures with SD card.
2017-8-1
Use props
Wolfie
New

United States

Skyclip Posted at 2017-5-2 02:07
To unload the RAW files off the X5R SSD, you need to use Cinelight on Mac and Camera Exporter on PC, both Software is provided by DJI. With the Software, you can choose in which Format you want your RAW Files wrapped, CinemDNG, ProRes etc.

The X5S wrappes the RAW Files with his CineCore in the Inspire 2 on the fly to the SSD, as set in the DJI Go App.

Thats quite odd.  I don't see anywhere in the exporter where I select any sort of wrapper or format.  It simply spits out DNG files to a folder I select.  There is no option OTHER than folder to put the files.
2017-8-1
Use props
Skyclip
lvl.4
Flight distance : 347940 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Wolfie Posted at 2017-8-1 08:13
Thats quite odd.  I don't see anywhere in the exporter where I select any sort of wrapper or format.  It simply spits out DNG files to a folder I select.  There is no option OTHER than folder to put the files.
OSX:
1. Left Hand Side, right-click on the Scene you want to export.
2. In Export Dialog, choose Format.
For Windows, i think you can only export CinemaDNG.
1.jpg
2.jpg
2017-8-1
Use props
Wolfie
New

United States

Guess I should have specified, Windows 10 ;)  Not OSX.  I have not seen any settings of that nature in the windows utility.
2017-8-1
Use props
IvanGarciaDP
New

Mexico

This actually the Workflow Chart, maybe you are confused because, the DNG RAW can be delivered trough Cinelight to ProRes
2017-8-11
Use props
Alex Jones
lvl.1
Flight distance : 91932 ft
United States

DJI NEEDS to be sued. every time they release a product they lie to their customers to get products sold. it's the damn Chinese man. they don't care. I have the Ronin MX and am selling it because it absolutely does NOT support a RED EPIC. I have run it bare bones. Like literally, I stripped the camera to the brain, the lens and the SSD. It still barely worked and the motors overheat after 10 minutes, the way they see it, "it runs for ten minutes so we can sell the product as RED compatible". Ten minutes is not even enough to think about a good shot. They advertise the X5R as pro res and DNG like the main guy said and he is not wrong. but they say it does because you need to use the software. everything they do is so sneaky and wrong. they make good stuff when used right. they are too sneaky with advertising and they need to be sued. I don't understand how they have had such backlash on products and still decide to use the same advertising scheme. and they get away with it because they know that filmmakers don't have money to sue. It'll get them one day.
2018-1-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules