Gimbal Initialization Issue?
1106 12 2017-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dougjacobs.emai
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15253 ft
United States

Purchased a Mavic yesterday, and am concerned that I may have gotten one  with a gimbal issue.. The initialization process seems more vilolent  than I'd expect. I tried upgrading to .600, and downgrading to .400 with  IMU, compass and Gimbal calibrations in between with no improvement.

Is it normal for it to be this rough? Most notibaly at 8-11sec. and  14-16sec. in the video, there is a loud metallica knocking noise that  can be heard even over the sonar clicking.

Sorry for the annoying audio - turn the volume down!

Thanks for the help!

2017-5-2
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

My Mavic's gimball initializes just like this, but don't make those noises...
2017-5-2
Use props
dougjacobs.emai
lvl.1
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-5-2 06:51
My Mavic's gimball initializes just like this, but don't make those noises...

Thanks! The loud annoying noise is the sonar - do you mean that yours doesn't make the metal knocking noise as it initializes?
2017-5-2
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

dougjacobs.emai Posted at 2017-5-2 06:59
Thanks! The loud annoying noise is the sonar - do you mean that yours doesn't make the metal knocking noise as it initializes?

Yes that's what I meant, the metal knocking! Mine doesn't make it...
2017-5-2
Use props
dougjacobs.emai
lvl.1
United States

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see ro_flyers response before it was deleted...

Anyone else willing to chime in and help me out?

Thanks!

--------------------------
Weird, I can see ro_flyers posts on my cell phone, but on my computer I see a message that says "Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield ."
2017-5-2
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

Sorry, all I can say is that mine didn't do that.  I would certainly say the metal knocking noise is not normal.
2017-5-2
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

dougjacobs.emai Posted at 2017-5-2 08:45
Unfortunately, I didn't get to see ro_flyers response before it was deleted...

Anyone else willing to chime in and help me out?

Sounds violent! I don't think that's normal, but few firmwares back here so.
2017-5-2
Use props
dougjacobs.emai
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the feedback!

It certainly doesn't seem normal.. That video was shot while on .400. There was no change between .400 and .600.

Fortunately, I purchased it at Micro Center, so should be able to exchange it pretty easily.

I did, however, already purchase Refresh. Anyone know how easy (or not so easy) it is to transfer it to the new one after I exchange it?
2017-5-2
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

It can finish the calibration without any error on the APP, right?
2017-5-3
Use props
dougjacobs.emai
lvl.1
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-5-3 03:57
It can finish the calibration without any error on the APP, right?

Hi Natalia,

Yes, it finishes calibration through the app without any errors. Calibration is a very smooth process without the gimbal knocking itself violently against its end points. Normal initialization, however, is very violent. I've seen several other videos of initialization, like the below video for example, where the gimbal initializes very smoothly.

I've also noticed that despite calibrating several times, horizon is way off. I need to adjust to somewhere between 1 and 1.5 to get it close to level.

2017-5-3
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

dougjacobs.emai Posted at 2017-5-3 05:39
Hi Natalia,

Yes, it finishes calibration through the app without any errors. Calibration is a very smooth process without the gimbal knocking itself violently against its end points. Normal initialization, however, is very violent. I've seen several other videos of initialization, like the below video for example, where the gimbal initializes very smoothly.

I reported the video to the engineers and just heard back from them,  it is normal, please do not worry about it.
2017-5-3
Use props
fansb0189d6a
New
Hong Kong

It is normal.
2017-5-4
Use props
fansa9ccd548
New
Flight distance : 508724 ft
United States

Since I connected my dji goggles and updated to the latest firmware on goggles, controller and aircraft, then gimbal will not initialize properly unless I turn it on its side during power on, and if I'm using head tracking and it starts misbehaving in flight by drifting in one direction, I turn off the head tracking but the aircraft will fly with a yaw in one direction or the other till I land, power off, then power back on, something is not right.
2017-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules