Osmo Mobile with iOS or Android?
8861 8 2017-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DCHook
New
United States

Hi Guys,

I need some expert opinion from folks who have spent more the Osmo Mobile than myself.

I used the Osmo Mobile with my iPhone 6 during a trip in March and it worked okay. I was disappointed with the maintenance of horizon / level but it worked reasonably well -- certainly better than hand held video.

I've upgraded to an iPhone 7 (but still have my 6) and have a Samsung Galaxy S8 on a separate line as well.

I need some help to understand my best choice for use with the Osmo (without going through exhaustive tests myself):

1. Last I remember, the iPhone 7 didn't get along with Osmo because of OIS. Is this still an issue?
2. If (1) is still an issue, I'm assuming the iPhone 6 would be a better choice.
3. It looks like OIS can be disabled on the Galaxy S8. Does it work well with the Osmo Mobile? Would this be preferable to the iPhone 6 or 7?
4. Are there significant differences between the iOS and Android versions of the DJI Go App that would make one much preferrable to the other?

Thanks for any information.
2017-5-2
Use props
DCHook
New
United States

Quick additional question to add:

I see folks talking about NOT using the DJI Go App but rather the stock video recorder or a Filmic Pro app. Is this only because of the 4K issue?

So, if I want to record in 4K, am I better off using something other than the DJI Go app?
2017-5-2
Use props
arnoldtang
lvl.1
Hong Kong

app like Filmic Pro has more options for customization such as bitrate, AE/AF lock
it makes your videos look more professional
2017-5-5
Use props
MMARKOE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2710 ft
United States

arnoldtang Posted at 2017-5-5 01:51
app like Filmic Pro has more options for customization such as bitrate, AE/AF lock
it makes your videos look more professional

Reviews for Android Filmic Pro reference multiple issues including low frame rates, no 4k (or 2k in one review) as well as time lapse problems. Are you recommending the IOS or Android version?
2017-5-5
Use props
arnoldtang
lvl.1
Hong Kong

MMARKOE Posted at 2017-5-5 03:25
Reviews for Android Filmic Pro reference multiple issues including low frame rates, no 4k (or 2k in one review) as well as time lapse problems. Are you recommending the IOS or Android version?

i recommend iOS version because i'm iphone user

I use both Filmic Pro and Mavis for shooting videos
IMO Mavis is more handy to change settings and more intuitive
unfortunately there are few bugs in Mavis.....
2017-5-12
Use props
bradgonemad
lvl.2
United States

Android user here. I've had this device since it's release and support for the Android DJI Go app has been a joke at best. There's still no 4k for s8 a month after release and some features just aren't even available on Android still. The only thing I have really used the DJI app for is to calibrate the gimbal and the newest version of their POS app crashes on my s8+ forcing me to sideload and old version of the app just so I can use it for calibration.

So I guess what I'm saying is... if you can deal with the OIS issues then stick with iPhone. The developers can't take their lips off Tim Cooks behind long enough to support Android.
2017-5-15
Use props
arnoldtang
lvl.1
Hong Kong

bradgonemad Posted at 2017-5-15 18:10
Android user here. I've had this device since it's release and support for the Android DJI Go app has been a joke at best. There's still no 4k for s8 a month after release and some features just aren't even available on Android still. The only thing I have really used the DJI app for is to calibrate the gimbal and the newest version of their POS app crashes on my s8+ forcing me to sideload and old version of the app just so I can use it for calibration.

So I guess what I'm saying is... if you can deal with the OIS issues then stick with iPhone. The developers can't take their lips off Tim Cooks behind long enough to support Android.

why don't use other filming apps?
DJI Go for iOS sucks too
for me, DJI Go is used to update firmware and calibrate only
2017-5-16
Use props
bradgonemad
lvl.2
United States

I do, and as I mentioned calibration is mostly what I use the DJI app for as well but thats only because the app sucks for anything else and the gimmicky features are what made me choose DJI over some of the other cheaper stabilizers that have been show to work just as well. My Samsung camera app is sufficient for most needs, even has a good pro mode. The thing that bothers me is that I'm unable to use motion tracking and a few other features that would be useful. The least they can do is make the current version of the app functional so I don't have to resort to sideload an old version and risk getting a virus from a third party site.

2017-5-16
Use props
Nancy9013
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules