Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic bricked in 10 minutes, right out of the box
123Next >
9175 102 2017-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kronos69
lvl.3
Italy

Just received my mavic this morning, and I was super excited.
When I connected the (updated) iPhone 6s to the remote with the (just installed) DJI go 4 app, it prompted me with a firmware update notification. I launched the update and let the units sit there close to each other. The update got stuck at exactly 87% for about 10-15 minutes, then I got the error "update failed". I tried again, but to no avail, since the remote immediately lost connection with the ac.
Fast blinking yellow light, rc can't bind anymore (tried both methods), Wi-Fi ssid doesn't show up, DJI assistant 2, on two different pcs, manages to update the firmware on the remote but not on the drone: it does see the mavic pro, but after the download of the firmware (both the 550 and the newest one) it immediately fails the upload process (only with the aircraft, rc is doing fine).

Ticket opened via email ( 525595 ), waiting for an answer.
I was so excited for the new drone, this is such a bummer. I bought it from the DJI store, so how much time should I expect to wait, to receive a brand new (not refurbished) unit, based on your experiences?

The mavic came in a fly more configuration and has a care refresh binded to it.
I'm thinking if it's convenient to ask for a complete refund and look for different products, seen that the update process can easily kill this drone.
2017-5-2
Use props
Kronos69
lvl.3
Italy

Got a lightning fast reply from the support (that's surprisingly good), but they do suggest me to send it in for repair (really not good).
The unit is brand new, I won't wait weeks to have it replaced
2017-5-2
Use props
method007
First Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yea definitely go for the full refund.  Sorry that happened to you!  
2017-5-2
Use props
Kronos69
lvl.3
Italy

Just asked the total refund. I've also contacted PayPal already just in case
2017-5-2
Use props
jreynolds5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 535341 ft
United States

try the update via pc
2017-5-2
Use props
Teejay1
New
United Kingdom

Similar problem for me, but my issue is with the RC, thinking about refund too. Firmware failed to load correctly even though it suggests that it was successful

DJI Assistant shows the firmware as v00.00.000 on the RC.

2017-5-2
Use props
Kronos69
lvl.3
Italy

As said, already tried with 2 pcs with no avail. Freshly installed Assistant 2, and I tried the 550 firmware, but also the new 600 and the previous one just in case. Insta-fail of the update right after the download, and it doesn't even produce any log (actually searched inside the dji assistant's folders).
It DOES see the Mavic, but it's someway not able to overwrite the corrupted/missing chunk of firmware.
This software approach seems anything but "pro" to me, I think I'll never update the firmware again on a DJI product (I already have an Osmo and a Phantom 3), because 4-6 weeks of repairing time (as i read in other posts) would mean that I would need to buy another one.
"Fortunately" this is a brand new unit, but I find disrespectful that they just offered me to repair it instead of sending a brand new unit. There are buyer's protections here where I live, but I hope I won't have to go that way.

Again, such a bummer, so disappointed in a short time.
2017-5-2
Use props
Kronos69
lvl.3
Italy

Also tried: older assistant version (phantom's), it doesn't work either.

Also note what exactly happens: the multicolor led flashes for a while, rotors start vibrating, the gimbal also does a check up routine, then the rear yellow led starts blinking, the fan runs immediately at full speed (and never stops until turned off, while the bottom metal fins become mildly hot), and the gimbal continues to work as it should (it actively counteracts AC movements).
So it seems to me that this is just a "bad software" problem, having to return this unit seems such a waste to me.

I'm still hoping to find a workaround to this.
2017-5-2
Use props
Kronos69
lvl.3
Italy

Nope, I give up. tried everything DJI suggests and more.
Now, let's wait for their answer about the exchange/refund request. Hope it doesn't take too long, because the dji care is now activated and I'm paying in advance a product that doesn't fly and a care plan in advance, while it can't be used.
2017-5-2
Use props
Nees
First Officer
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Be sure you installed DJI Assistant without driver singing OFF. Might be it sees the drone but the ADB driver didn't install correct.

Follow these steps to be sure everything got installed, then try to install the firmware again.

Click the Start menu and select Settings.
    Click Update and Security.
    Click on Recovery.
    Click Restart now under Advanced Startup.
    Click Troubleshoot.
    Click Advanced options.
    Click Startup Settings.
    Click on Restart.
    On the Startup Settings screen press 7 or F7 to disable driver signature enforcement.

Then install the tool. it is because 2 drivers are not Singned correctly, the ADB driver (needed for Android OS, were the mavic runs on) and some other driver.
2017-5-2
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

First you need to rest both to factory setting. Then make sure you have FAST WI-FI connection and then update from the phone. I had the MAVIC since the first batch in Sept and I always updateD thru my phone with no issue. I have IphonE 6S +.
2017-5-2
Use props
Kronos69
lvl.3
Italy

dronist Posted at 2017-5-2 15:49
First you need to rest both to factory setting. Then make sure you have FAST WI-FI connection and then update from the phone. I had the MAVIC since the first batch in Sept and I always updateD thru my phone with no issue. I have IphonE 6S +.

They were literally set to factory settings, because they were right out of the box
I've got fast wifi and updated through the phone and the updated app.
2017-5-2
Use props
Kronos69
lvl.3
Italy

Nees Posted at 2017-5-2 15:36
Be sure you installed DJI Assistant without driver singing OFF. Might be it sees the drone but the ADB driver didn't install correct.

Follow these steps to be sure everything got installed, then try to install the firmware again.

I'm going to try this now
2017-5-2
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Kronos69 Posted at 2017-5-2 16:35
They were literally set to factory settings, because they were right out of the box
I've got fast wifi and updated through the phone and the updated app.

I know but since the update was NOT complete. then you need to do a factory reset to start fresh. Also, internet connection might disconnect and reconnect in the background without you noticing it.

Would NOT hurt to try again..  In bocca al lupo!!!
2017-5-2
Use props
Kronos69
lvl.3
Italy

dronist Posted at 2017-5-2 16:48
I know but since the update was NOT complete. then you need to do a factory reset to start fresh. Also, internet connection might disconnect and reconnect in the background without you noticing it.

Would NOT hurt to try again..  In bocca al lupo!!!

Done anyway, to no avail
Trying now bypassing the driver signature check

Thanks, crepi il lupo ;)
2017-5-2
Use props
Kronos69
lvl.3
Italy

Nees Posted at 2017-5-2 15:36

Tried now, it didn't work thanks anyway!
2017-5-2
Use props
Eagle_Eye
First Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

Too many have this horror stories.
You think by now if DJI thinks that this FW is so great, why not ship the unit fully updated.
And until now maybe they are still shipping B-New unit w/ FW .400 w/c IMHO the best FW by far.
2017-5-2
Use props
Kronos69
lvl.3
Italy

Eagle_Eye Posted at 2017-5-2 17:20
You think by now if DJI thinks that this FW is so great, why not ship the unit fully updated.
And until now maybe they are still shipping B-New unit w/ FW .400 w/c IMHO the best FW by far.

mine was probably 550 out of the box
2017-5-2
Use props
PHL
Captain
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

Eagle_Eye Posted at 2017-5-2 17:20

Some probably stock at retailers or warehouse. Once boxed, I can't see any company opening all the packaging to update the firmware.

Happens all the time with tech toys.
2017-5-2
Use props
Kronos69
lvl.3
Italy

This one in particular was bought directly from DJI a few days ago
Anyway I know that once packaged, the fw isn't updated anymore
2017-5-2
Use props
Kronos69
lvl.3
Italy

Tonight I was thinking about it, and I found outright outrageous that they proposed me to have my brand new defective drone sent for repair.

PayPal dispute opened, I hate being mocked.
2017-5-2
Use props
Kronos69
lvl.3
Italy

Update: ticket was now forwarded (escalated?) to a colleague.

Keeping you all updated.
2017-5-3
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

We feel sorry to hear about the updating issue on your Mavic.
Could you please export the upgrading log for us at your convenience? Upload the file to Dropbox and post the link  here.
Hare is the tutorial for your reference:
2017-5-3
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Teejay1 Posted at 2017-5-2 11:20
Similar problem for me, but my issue is with the RC, thinking about refund too. Firmware failed to load correctly even though it suggests that it was successful

DJI Assistant shows the firmware as v00.00.000 on the RC.

Could you please upload a screenshot from Assistant 2 here showing the firmware version number?
How about the information on "About" page through DJI GO?
Please check the upgrading log as the instruction I mentioned at 23#. Thank you.
2017-5-3
Use props
Kronos69
lvl.3
Italy

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-5-3 02:22
We feel sorry to hear about the updating issue on your Mavic.
Could you please export the upgrading log for us at your convenience? Upload the file to Dropbox and post the link  here.
Hare is the tutorial for your reference:

Unfortunately as said before the DJI assistant 2 doesn't produce any log file (the specified folder isn't even there, even if hidden folders are visible). I do click on "upload" when it fails the upgrade, and it says "uploaded" (I suppose to DJI) with a green symbol, but then windows asks me to find a software to open a "Javascipt" (no typing error, it's written without the R, and this may be why it doesn't save any log).
It happens on multiple pcs.
I can produce a video of this.

I would love to have this solved without returning the drone (the fastest solution), but in your experience how much time do I'll have to wait to have a new (not refurbished) replacement unit, if the mavic is really bricked?

I already started a exchange/refund request both on DJI mail support (case N stated in the previous posts) and PayPal because I need a replacement ASAP, but I would like to cooperate as much as I can to find the fastest solution. I would also agree to pay for a new unit as an "escrow" while you ship me another one, but the first support response that asked me to send the new drone to repair got me a little upset, to be sincere, so please I'll try anything, but not repairing the drone, because of time concerns, and because it's still in the exchange/refund timeframe and was never airborne.
2017-5-3
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Kronos69 Posted at 2017-5-3 03:33
Unfortunately as said before the DJI assistant 2 doesn't produce any log file (the specified folder isn't even there, even if hidden folders are visible). I do click on "upload" when it fails the upgrade, and it says "uploaded" (I suppose to DJI) with a green symbol, but then windows asks me to find a software to open a "Javascipt" (no typing error, it's written without the R, and this may be why it doesn't save any log).
It happens on multiple pcs.
I can produce a video of this.

I totally understand your feelings, I would feel the same as you do if I were in your position.
Please try to PM me your DJI account, thanks.
2017-5-3
Use props
Kronos69
lvl.3
Italy

P.s.: I could also give you remote access to one of my windows machine, if it helps.
Anything that could help, because I've a university project starting soon where I really need a drone, and my old phantom 3 isn't that suitable for this particular job.
Please help me find a fast solution, being the drone brand new and the DJI care days ticking away.
Thanks.
2017-5-3
Use props
Kronos69
lvl.3
Italy

Done, thanks.
2017-5-3
Use props
Kronos69
lvl.3
Italy

Meanwhile, assistance is asking me for data already in DJI knowledge (example S/N, already provided) for a unit bought on DJI store a few days ago.

Then, they say
When we receive your faulty unit and we have replacements in stock, we will swap it on the same day. After this we will send it to you, which normally takes 2-8 days, depending on the shipping and what your current location is.

Too much time for me to receive a working unit, I can order a new one right from the same store and get it in 4 days.
PayPal dispute is still running.
2017-5-3
Use props
Kronos69
lvl.3
Italy

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-5-3 03:46
I totally understand your feelings, I would feel the same as you do if I were in your position.
Please try to PM me your DJI account, thanks.

Still received nothing from the engineers. Otherwise, I would gladly try other solutions and report back.

Meanwhile mail support keeps insisting that I have to send the unit in and have it substituted.

Question 1: will they send me back my unit repaired or a brand new drone (both acceptable) or will they possibly send me back a refurbished one (totally not acceptable)?

Question 2: what the turnaround time really is? I can accept this solution if a brand new drone is guaranteed to hit my doorstep by may 21 (last day available for me to escalate the PayPal dispute, and just 5 days before I really need a functioning drone).

Otherwise, I see no other solutions than to turn the dispute into a claim for this unfortunately faulty product, and buy another unit, probably from a reseller.

Is that difficult to have DJI send me a brand new unit in a reasonable timeframe (10-15 days)? I'm even ok with paying another drone (AC unit without remote) in advance as a sort of "escrow". I do think that I'm doing everything I can to be fully comprehensive.

Thanks for your time and help!
2017-5-3
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Kronos69 Posted at 2017-5-3 10:19
Meanwhile, assistance is asking me for data already in DJI knowledge (example S/N, already provided) for a unit bought on DJI store a few days ago.

Then, they say

Did you notice the error code when it said "upgrade failed" on the screen?
BTW, the fan is spinning or not?
2017-5-3
Use props
Kronos69
lvl.3
Italy

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-5-3 18:38

I don't remember any error code but I'll check again tomorrow morning, so in a few hours.

Yes as said the fan is always spinning: when the device is turned on, it does a short carousel of lights, and then it starts flashing, yellow and fast. The fan starts spinning at full revs since the yellow flashing starts. The gimbal is also operative (it seems to counteract movements as it should normally), so a minimum software layer seems to be there. This is the strangest thing in my opinion, something is still operational but assistant 2 doesn't even start to upload the firmware on the drone. The cable was the one that shipped with the magic and I tested multiple firmware versions on two different pcs (on the same pcs a firmware refresh of the remote was possible, so I'm excluding the pcs as a potential problem.
2017-5-3
Use props
alexcannas
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28038 ft
United Kingdom

@Kronos69 If you are on Windows 10, you may also want to try using Microsoft's default driver for the COM port. I use those as I had issues with the SD card not being visible. To do so, just uninstall and delete the COM port drivers is Device Manager and then reconnect the Mavic. Windows will install the MS drivers. If you want, you can also increase the communication speed in the properties.

I found the MS drivers to work generally better than the DJI version. Also if you want to avoid disabling driver signature enforcement, you may want to disable Secure Boot in your BIOS.
2017-5-3
Use props
Kronos69
lvl.3
Italy

alexcannas Posted at 2017-5-3 23:57
@Kronos69 If you are on Windows 10, you may also want to try using Microsoft's default driver for the COM port. I use those as I had issues with the SD card not being visible. To do so, just uninstall and delete the COM port drivers is Device Manager and then reconnect the Mavic. Windows will install the MS drivers. If you want, you can also increase the communication speed in the properties.

I found the MS drivers to work generally better than the DJI version. Also if you want to avoid disabling driver signature enforcement, you may want to disable Secure Boot in your BIOS.

Thanks I'll try that too.
2017-5-4
Use props
Kronos69
lvl.3
Netherlands

alexcannas Posted at 2017-5-3 23:57

Didn't work
Thanks anyway, really!
2017-5-4
Use props
Kronos69
lvl.3
Netherlands

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-5-3 18:38

No error codes - no log produced - strange "javascipt" reference (look at the misspelling).

I'll wait until tomorrow (24h) for other solutions, then I'll have to turn the PayPal dispute into a claim seen that mail support isn't willing to refund me or find another solution that doesn't imply staying without a drone for weeks.
Product is doa and the only thing proposed to me was to send it in for evaluation. I even purchased a care plan but it doesn't seem to help.
IMG_6512.JPG
IMG_6513.JPG
IMG_6514.JPG
2017-5-4
Use props
Justanother106
lvl.1
Flight distance : 59 ft
United States

i just experienced the same issue, i was so exited to fly, nut after following all instructions and installing firmware update everything went down hill. theres a couple of administrative employees here that mean well and seem to help but then you get a call and the waiting begins . i was promised expedited shipping both ways and noticed after waiting two days just for the shipping label it was ground which took 5 days to reach them at that point i started to ask how long it would take for them to check it in and i was told another 5 days just to check in, shortly after that i received another call confirming that it will be a while so i decided to cancel my order. i just refuse to be a part of this mess, sorry dpi your not for me...
2017-5-4
Use props
Kronos69
lvl.3
Italy

PayPal rep listened my case on the phone and suggested to escalate it to a claim asap, not to wait.
He gently did it for me, so I'll keep you all updated.
2017-5-4
Use props
jamesw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169364 ft
Canada

I'd return it ASAP and get a full refund. Then go buy another one from AMAZON. Don't waste your time trying to fix it. It's DJI's problem to solve.
2017-5-4
Use props
Kronos69
lvl.3
Italy

jamesw Posted at 2017-5-4 08:28
I'd return it ASAP and get a full refund. Then go buy another one from AMAZON. Don't waste your time trying to fix it. It's DJI's problem to solve.

Did exactly that, as also suggested by PayPal employee.
Already bought another drone in the meantime.
Thanks everyone with the support and thanks Natalia.
I'll update you with future developments of the refund process through PayPal.

P.s.: DJI Care won't be needed either because the drone is going to get returned, so I'm asking you (Natalia) if the DJI care linked to the aircraft in question can be refunded too.
2017-5-4
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules