Smartphone image lost mid flight
902 5 2017-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pascal Kross
New
Iceland

Hi. Lately I was flying the Mavic Drone at 5° Celsius in an open space and lost image transmission mid flight. I was able to manually land the drone. Is this a known issue and is there a workaround to avoid it in the future? I had this issue once only.

Using Samsung Galaxy S5. Drone was delivered March 2017 from UK. Updated firmware beginning of April on Drone and Controller, but I don't have latest firmware I think.

I created a video of the issue:
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=sSbo4p8oVBU
2017-5-2
Use props
Pascal Kross
New
Iceland

This is the correct link

2017-5-2
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Pascal Kross Posted at 2017-5-2 15:36
This is the correct link

Couples of things, you should always fly in LOS. You got lucky this time.

Second the antennas are NOT set correctly, you need to push them ALL THE WAY toward the controller and should stay vertical with the remote.

Third, you turned off the controller first then the battery.

You always turn on the RC, then AC, then DJI app.
You turn off the AC first, then DJI app, then the RC.

The cold and or your phone might have caused the diconnection issue or the way you turned off, on. Bes way to find out, download the flight logs.

BTW, beautiful landscapes!

2017-5-2
Use props
Pascal Kross
New
Iceland

dronist Posted at 2017-5-2 16:41
Couples of things, you should always fly in LOS. You got lucky this time.

Second the antennas are NOT set correctly, you need to push them ALL THE WAY toward the controller and should stay vertical with the remote.

Thanks for the advice bro.

What does LOS stand for if I may ask?

The antennas have 3 positions. I will use the vertical one next time.
2017-5-3
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Pascal Kross Posted at 2017-5-3 02:46
Thanks for the advice bro.

What does LOS stand for if I may ask?

My pleasure... LOS stands for LINE OF SIGHT

When flying the antennas needs to STRAIGHT UP VERTICALLY close tight to the controller at a 90 degree angle. Always twist the controller toward you inward so  the antennas can face the drone vertically. Unless the drone is straight ABOVE you, which you should try not to do, then you bring the antennas flat horizontally with the drone.

Good Luck!
2017-5-3
Use props
pascalx
New
Iceland

Sad to see you have been banned bro.

I had the same issue again today. I fly the drone every second day. The weather conditions today have been excellent. Almost no wind, sunny, 10-15 °C.

I used the antennas in the upwards position as previously recommended. I did respect the order of device initialization. Line of sight was given at all times. Image was lost midflight but I was able to control the drone. This time I found it much harder to navigate it back manually, because there was a huge delay between the values I sawon  the remote and my controller input. I pressed Return To Home button but it did nothing. I was unable to fly it back to the start point.

At 25% the drone hit low battery status and automatically initiated Return To Home. It landed where it started.

To me this looks like a technical issue, not a user issue. The remote controller clearly works and I can control the device. The camera is still recording and I have the footage of it flying around as I try to navigate it back after I lost the image on the phone. Restarting the DJI App on the Phone after the image was lost does not fix it either. The drone must be re-started to fix the issue.

I can't be the only one having this issue!? Does DJI provide warranty or some assistance on such issues?

I love the drone when it works, but I would really like to not lose because of such an issue. The drone never crashed and shows no signs of damage. It should be in perfect working condition.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
2017-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules