Limp camera
871 13 2017-5-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dav 0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 277585 ft

Can anyone advise why this might have happened mid flight?
No warnings or unusual conditions and suddenly the camera went limp and started wobbling on the p4.
Switch it all off any on again and it was fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKzjdeIkeq8
2017-5-4
Use props
Dav 0
lvl.2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQYxbK7tlyI
2017-5-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Perform a gimbal calibration on flat ground to see if it resolves it.
If it still does it, connect to your computer and run Assistant2 and refresh the firmware or update to the latest if you're not on it already.Has there ever been any crashes or hard landings?
2017-5-4
Use props
Dav 0
lvl.2

The thing is it corrected having switched it off and on. It did happen once before but again a reboot corrected it. I assume I am on the latest firmware as I never get any update notifications. I'm fortunate enough to have never had any crashes or even hard landings.
2017-5-4
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-5-4 13:13
Perform a gimbal calibration on flat ground to see if it resolves it.
If it still does it, connect to your computer and run Assistant2 and refresh the firmware or update to the latest if you're not on it already.Has there ever been any crashes or hard landings?

This problem seems to be coming up more more for people lately. I'm wondering if age has anything to do with it? I've had mine for over six months and it's happened to me about five times. I'm not worried about it – yet.
2017-5-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-5-4 17:13
This problem seems to be coming up more more for people lately. I'm wondering if age has anything to do with it? I've had mine for over six months and it's happened to me about five times. I'm not worried about it – yet.

It shouldn't do that. If all the troubleshooting steps do not resolve it, I'd send it in for evaluation.
2017-5-4
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-5-4 17:13

I believe it's firmware related i.e. no amount of calibration effort will stop this happening. I didn't have this happen once in the first six months I owned my P4, but after I installed the beta software in January it occured on the 2nd flight. Having said that, it hasn't happened since.
My money is on the gimbal controller being fed a specific set of parameters which triggers a logic conundrum and it has a meltdown. Just my view...
2017-5-4
Use props
Lethal
Second Officer
Flight distance : 71096 ft
Australia

Have had the same thing happening since around October November. Am tired of trying to fix and doing calibrations. Running all latest updates and no hard landings. When it happens, I simply land, reboot P4 take off again and all is OK. Frustrating but learned to live with it.
2017-5-4
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Lethal Posted at 2017-5-4 20:33
Have had the same thing happening since around October November. Am tired of trying to fix and doing calibrations. Running all latest updates and no hard landings. When it happens, I simply land, reboot P4 take off again and all is OK. Frustrating but learned to live with it.

Hey Lethal.
Around October/November 2016? How long had you been flying your's prior to that? I'd be interested to hear if you'd updated to a new firmware around that time...

[edit] Just checked - 8 Nov 2017 = v1.2.602. Would be interesting to see if your P4 still gets 'limp' after downgrading to v1.2.503.
2017-5-4
Use props
Dav 0
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Interesting comments re firmware. My p4 was purchased late December and opened in Christmas Day and immediately auto updated to the latest firmware via the app.  No updates since (I'll look up the firmware version number when next connected). In around 80 flights this has only happened twice. Once in January and once yesterday. Each time a full reboot corrected it.  If it's just firmware then I'm not that worried as hopefully the next update would fix it. I was more concerned it was a faulty aircraft. Presumably even if I sent it for evaluation or replacement if the same firmware was loaded on it would suffer the same issue.  
2017-5-5
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-5-4 19:10
It shouldn't do that. If all the troubleshooting steps do not resolve it, I'd send it in for evaluation.

Not worth my time to send it in. It doesn't happen often - (I fly a lot), and when it does just like Punchbuggy and others I simply land reboot and go on about my day.. It isn't occurring more often and doesn't scare me (anymore) when it does happen.. It was only embarrassing one time when I was showing someone "how steady" it is haha..
2017-5-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-5-5 02:37
Not worth my time to send it in. It doesn't happen often - (I fly a lot), and when it does just like Punchbuggy and others I simply land reboot and go on about my day.. It isn't occurring more often and doesn't scare me (anymore) when it does happen.. It was only embarrassing one time when I was showing someone "how steady" it is haha..

Ok, no problem.
2017-5-5
Use props
Lethal
Second Officer
Flight distance : 71096 ft
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-5-4 21:59
Hey Lethal.
Around October/November 2016? How long had you been flying your's prior to that? I'd be interested to hear if you'd updated to a new firmware around that time...

Punchbuggy, first flew July last year and November update about right. Don't fly as much as I should but do love it and tend to work under the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle. I had intended doing the latest update as I am going on holidays but see there are some issues - so might leave it. No internet where I am going so will test heavily before I leave with existing software. The gimble issue is an annoyance but other than costing me a good shot of a bird attacking the drone, is simply that: an annoyance!
2017-5-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Lethal Posted at 2017-5-6 15:44
Punchbuggy, first flew July last year and November update about right. Don't fly as much as I should but do love it and tend to work under the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle. I had intended doing the latest update as I am going on holidays but see there are some issues - so might leave it. No internet where I am going so will test heavily before I leave with existing software. The gimble issue is an annoyance but other than costing me a good shot of a bird attacking the drone, is simply that: an annoyance!

Yeah - I understand. BTW, the firmware released in November was the last. Only a beta release made available since to a gullible few in January, but DJI have not released a production version of that yet.
2017-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules