Keeping your video safe
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EagleEyez
New

United States

Hi! I just got my new Phantom 4 Advanced and I'm super excited. Curious how people back up their video so they don't lose it. Do you have to do a whole RAID 5 array thing or do you just put it all on Dropbox or something? It seems like if you put it on Dropbox you still need to have it on your computer too. Is this right?

I appreciate all of the tips! Thanks =-)
2017-5-4
Use props
Hagbard
lvl.1

United States

Congrats EagleEyez! I just started doing this too and had a similar thread here https://forum.dji.com/thread-94021-1-1.html you should check out for some good tips.  Seems like most people are using external hard drives but I think you are right that you would need some type of redundant RAID to be sure you didn't lose stuff if a drive failed.  The calculators in this thread are pretty useful to estimate what you might need.
2017-5-4
Use props
EagleEyez
New

United States

Hagbard Posted at 2017-5-4 15:49
Congrats EagleEyez! I just started doing this too and had a similar thread here https://forum.dji.com/thread-94021-1-1.html you should check out for some good tips.  Seems like most people are using external hard drives but I think you are right that you would need some type of redundant RAID to be sure you didn't lose stuff if a drive failed.  The calculators in this thread are pretty useful to estimate what you might need.

Thanks Hagbard!
2017-5-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Are you referring to the SD card footage or the cache video from your mobile device?
2017-5-4
Use props
EagleEyez
New

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-4 15:48
Are you referring to the SD card footage or the cache video from your mobile device?

Hmmm, your question makes me realize I need to learn more. I think I mean the full 4K video on the SD card. What is the cache video on your mobile device?
2017-5-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

EagleEyez Posted at 2017-5-4 15:51
Hmmm, your question makes me realize I need to learn more. I think I mean the full 4K video on the SD card. What is the cache video on your mobile device?

You do have an option in the Go app cache video that you're recording onto your mobile device. These are essentially versions of the video that are 'screen recordings' of the Go app's 720p live view. They are used to either play around with the Go app's Editor section, or just to show to others on the fly.
2017-5-4
Use props
ibuyufo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819098 ft
United States

I save it in this contraption.

server

server
2017-5-4
Use props
Hagbard
lvl.1

United States

ibuyufo Posted at 2017-5-4 23:52
I save it in this contraption.

Sweet jiminy! You have your own mini data center
2017-5-8
Use props
BearDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2887251 ft
United States

I have my cache set to 4G on my iPhone, but I wasn't sure of the access issue, but now it makes sense that it is a down-data version of the original video on the micro-SD card. When I try to download from my iPhone it states that is cannot from the cache. So, all originals, I am assuming, must come from the micro SD card.

I use Amazon Drive for all my data backups, and while it takes forever, I am slowly getting them all on that sight.
2017-5-8
Use props
ibuyufo
lvl.4
United States

Hagbard Posted at 2017-5-8 10:16
Sweet jiminy! You have your own mini data center

I went too over the top not realizing how much electricity it would cost to run all the machines.
2017-5-9
Use props
Hagbard
lvl.1

United States

ibuyufo Posted at 2017-5-9 21:19
I went too over the top not realizing how much electricity it would cost to run all the machines.

About how much is it to run a setup like that if you don't mind me asking?
2017-5-10
Use props
ibuyufo
lvl.4
United States

Hagbard Posted at 2017-5-10 07:42
About how much is it to run a setup like that if you don't mind me asking?

I don't exactly remember but I want to say it was in the neighborhood of 40 to 60 bux more than normal.
2017-5-10
Use props
Hagbard
lvl.1

United States

ibuyufo Posted at 2017-5-10 17:05
I don't exactly remember but I want to say it was in the neighborhood of 40 to 60 bux more than normal.

Yowza! That's a lot.
2017-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules