IPAD MINI 4 OR IPAD
4820 13 2017-5-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
userabd331598b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 99163 ft
United Kingdom

Please can any one tell me i am looking at either the ipad mini 4 or the new ipad 9.7" would i be right in saying the mini will fit into the controller without a additional holder and how do you find the mini is it big enough and do i need cellular or is it better to have it than not have it.

cheers

paul
2017-5-5
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

would i be right in saying the mini will fit into the controller without a additional holder

Yes, that's correct.

how do you find the mini is it big enough

I'm happy with the Mini 4; an even bigger screen is always better, but as you already know the Mini 4 is the largest iPad that will fit into the Mavic's controller.

do i need cellular or is it better to have it than not have it.

Cellular is better mainly because the cellular version also includes GPS while the wifi-only version doesn't. Without GPS you won't be able to use Follow Me or reset your home point during a flight, but I personally have no interest in either of those. If the cellular version is only slightly more expensive or if you want to use Follow Me and / or dynamically update your home point then you should seriously consider the cellular version; otherwise the wifi-only version is fine.
2017-5-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

My Mini is only WiFi and if I need to reset the home point I just reset it to the aircraft.
So unless you must have Follow Me (you can use Active Track instead) then the cellular version is not needed.
If you need internet for anything, just use your phone as a hotspot for updating the map or anything lke that.And the iPad screen is larger but then you need a 3rd party device to attach it. I find the Mini is just fine.
2017-5-5
Use props
Techbrute
lvl.1
Flight distance : 180144 ft
United States

I've been using the Mini lately, with a third party device. I know it fits in the controller without it, but I just like it better out in front.   I think it's big enough for me, and still more portable than the full size iPad.
2017-5-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Techbrute Posted at 2017-5-5 14:18
I've been using the Mini lately, with a third party device. I know it fits in the controller without it, but I just like it better out in front.   I think it's big enough for me, and still more portable than the full size iPad.

I mostly use my iPhone 7 Plus as the screen is brighter than my mini.
2017-5-5
Use props
High FlyerCokie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 701109 ft
New Zealand

paul this topic has been hammered in previous forums. Personally I think go iPad Mini 4 Cellular. I went Wi-Fi and hot spot but it  is a pain setting up. Mainly because I did'nt get the correct advise from where I bough it. Also I have a harden screen protector which makes fitting it to the Remote a tad tight. The view using a bigger screen especially in maps is awesome and takes the panic of knowing exactly where your Mavic is (as long as you have connection which here in NZ where I fly is sometimes difficult) out of the equavtion.
Ok some people say it is a pain holding the but hay it is what ever you are comfortable with Here is a youtube link
2017-5-5
Use props
Arthur H H
New

New Zealand

I have a Mavic now and I miss out all round. I have 2 x iPhone 5s but at my age to small for me to use for this with my eyes, I have an iPad Air opps doesnt fit, and my main iPad Device is a 12.7 Pro, so best of a bad i got a mount for the iPad works well excepth I had to craft up a Light Screen for it.
2017-5-5
Use props
Techbrute
lvl.1
Flight distance : 180144 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-5-5 14:44
I mostly use my iPhone 7 Plus as the screen is brighter than my mini.

Yes, I use my 7 Plus, as well, especially when I'm traveling light.
2017-5-7
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

I would get the Mini 4, I use an iPhone 6 Plus however I have a iPad mini 3 and it does fit in the Mavic controller at stretch.
2017-5-7
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

iPad Mini 4 works a treat!
2017-5-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Techbrute Posted at 2017-5-7 10:46
Yes, I use my 7 Plus, as well, especially when I'm traveling light.

Yes indeed, the 7+ is great for the Mavic when travelling.
2017-5-8
Use props
Canes76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 818199 ft
  • >>>
United States

So, I debated this foe weeks...I have a iPad Air with the MavMount and frankly, I love the large screen.  Like said in many of the comments, you have everything from iPhones, to Mini's and iPads - here is a video review I did on the MavMount with the iPad Air and HoodMan...hopefully it helps:

2017-5-8
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-5-8 07:20
Yes indeed, the 7+ is great for the Mavic when travelling.

Hi Ken
I was also thinking of getting the iPhone 7 plus but I was hoping the crystal sky monitor would be available by now.....do you know if it will released anytime soon or at all?
2017-5-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Woodwanger Posted at 2017-5-8 08:06
Hi Ken
I was also thinking of getting the iPhone 7 plus but I was hoping the crystal sky monitor would be available by now.....do you know if it will released anytime soon or at all?

It's coming but don't know exactly when.
2017-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules