compass error while flying over a lake, no apparent reason
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

So, a few weeks back I was flying over a lake in the mountains - as I was flying, I suddenly noticed that as I was executing a left turn, the horizon in my p3A camera went diagonal, as it would if my camera was in fpv mode... as i straighten up the drone the camera remained so, and I got warning about compass and being in atti mode. I increased altitude and everything went back to normal. I did not fly over the same spot, but wonder what you people think? Perhaps there was some structure under the water/underground? That is the only thing I can imagine.. Happy that gaining altitude cleared it, as I believe that even in ATTI mode, having a compass error over water may end badly....

Airnav (formarly healthydrones): http://app.airdata.com/main?share=GFEBkC
Phantomhelp: http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/14YNYX68WGRDWNQZICFR/

The issue starts at 1:36, and goes away short after, no other issues during the flight....
Got the videoooooooooooooo! -
The issue starts at 20sec, and is gone by 40 sec....

Ideas?

yaw.JPG
2017-5-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

You were at 96 feet altitude at the time, no metal structure under the water is going to affect you at that height. When and where did you last calibrate the compass?
2017-5-5
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-5-5 15:33
You were at 96 feet altitude at the time, no metal structure under the water is going to affect you at that height. When and where did you last calibrate the compass?

Probably when i got back from Arizona in February.. since it was quite a few miles away..  Mind you this was one of like 10-15 flights in the vicinity, over a 4 day trip.... That is why it's so puzzling.... Not bothering to ping DJI, since they will probably just tell me to send it in. I mind redo compass calibration tomorrow just to make sure it's goo. I did IMU a few days ago, since it was cold, and i wanted to do IMU while it was colder than average.
2017-5-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Please do the compass calibration in an open area then test again.
If the problem persists, please let us know.
2017-5-5
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

I did notice the aircraft got hit by a few gusts at various times throughout the flight.  Even though your speed was negligible or stationary, it recorded a varying pitch between +30° to -30°, almost the limit of controlled flight.  This seemed to occur as you ascended/descended through various altitudes, but they were extremely narrow pockets of turbulence if it was this explanation.  I wonder if the sudden leaning over was enough to make you momentarily lose reliable GPS contact with all of them, and it momentarily switched across to ATTI?  The number of detected satellites in the logs remained constant at 16, but perhaps some were found to be "unreliable"?

The camera gimbal is capable of a very wide range of movement, far in excess of the airframe in stable flight.  Even if the aircraft were blown beyond the 30° it would not affect the gimbals ability to stabilize the camera and show a level picture.  As I understand it, the gimbal gets its orientation from an accelerometer located in the lower flat gimbal plate with the rest of the camera processing circuitry and microSD card.  For it to get confused about where "level" is located, it would need to be hanging under the aircraft at around 45°, which obviously wasn't the case.  Are you sure you didn't just accidentally hit the mode button underneath the controller momentarily?
2017-5-6
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

endotherm Posted at 2017-5-6 10:21
I did notice the aircraft got hit by a few gusts at various times throughout the flight.  Even though your speed was negligible or stationary, it recorded a varying pitch between +30° to -30°, almost the limit of controlled flight.  This seemed to occur as you ascended/descended through various altitudes, but they were extremely narrow pockets of turbulence if it was this explanation.  I wonder if the sudden leaning over was enough to make you momentarily lose reliable GPS contact with all of them, and it momentarily switched across to ATTI?  The number of detected satellites in the logs remained constant at 16, but perhaps some were found to be "unreliable"?

The camera gimbal is capable of a very wide range of movement, far in excess of the airframe in stable flight.  Even if the aircraft were blown beyond the 30° it would not affect the gimbals ability to stabilize the camera and show a level picture.  As I understand it, the gimbal gets its orientation from an accelerometer located in the lower flat gimbal plate with the rest of the camera processing circuitry and microSD card.  For it to get confused about where "level" is located, it would need to be hanging under the aircraft at around 45°, which obviously wasn't the case.  Are you sure you didn't just accidentally hit the mode button underneath the controller momentarily?

my c1 is camera up/down, my c2is front lights on/off....  so no way it went into gimbal mode change...  weird.. isn't it? wish i was recording a video, but i was not....

Oh well, will watch the bahavior..,.  This craft is over a year old,.. perhaps things are beginning to act funny....
I agree, gimbal can handle way more than 30deg.
The wind was not bad, overall... i have flown in stronger gusts....

DJI - is there any sort of diagnostics I can run on my own?

Oh, I will see if i have cached video by any chance.. that would be one way to see what i saw.... forgot about that, but i think i did clear the cache.. will check....

2017-5-6
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

Added the video, that I found, to the original post, as well as here.
I had 2 flight today, no issues related to compass nor gps....

2017-5-6
Use props
fanse6bd7047
lvl.1
Flight distance : 52487 ft

Hungary

HI,
In principle, the update was successful because it is in txt. ========== 2017.05.07 10:18:13 =================== ==
Packet: P3S_FW_V01.10.0090.bin
Upgrading ...
Result: Success.

Still, it says that the latest firmware !!! ABNORMAL !!!

And it is a mistake not to let it calibrate, it says there is a high magnetic interference (in the garden too)

I slowly give up
2017-5-7
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

fanse6bd7047 Posted at 2017-5-7 09:59
HI,
In principle, the update was successful because it is in txt. ========== 2017.05.07 10:18:13 =================== ==
Packet: P3S_FW_V01.10.0090.bin

anything on u? a cell phone? some cool belt buckle?
Advanced, pro or standard? How new? Perhaps your model does have an issue and needs service under warranty, or replacement?
2017-5-8
Use props
TJE
New
United States

thanks for the info
2017-5-8
Use props
TJE
New
United States

does anyone know about the auto pilt app for phantom 3 pro
2017-5-8
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

i am sure, search the forum, phantompilots is another good phantom forum that's way more on the 3rd party and mods stuff.
2017-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules