App issues
1308 5 2017-5-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hoomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231394 ft
United States

I'm getting rather frustrated with the Go app. It keeps randomly starting and stopping the video recording. Many times when it stops, it will not restart when I hit the red button on the screen. I thought it might be an issue with my tablet, so switched back to my phone, which had never had that issue before. The phone is doing it now as well.

I'm also losing controller signal at short distances, despite having the antenna on the controller as nearly perpendicular to the Phantom as possible.

I don't know what updates have occurred to cause these issues, but this only started happening with the most recent flights.

This isn't giving me a confident feeling.
2017-5-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Could you please clarify your phone model, DJI GO version and firmware version?
If convenient, please make a short video of the app issue.
2017-5-6
Use props
Hoomi
lvl.4
United States

It's crashing on my Samsung Galaxy Tab E tablet and on my Motorola Droid Turbo phone.

To make sure it's clear, when I first downloaded the DJI Go app on the phone, it worked fine with no problems. The biggest reason I wanted to go with a tablet was for the larger screen size.

Looking at the video from the SD card this evening on my desktop computer, from the first flight on Friday, the random stops caused the video to divide into three files. The first and third have the correct date and time, while the second shows a date and time of January 1st, 2014 at 12:00 a.m. This also happened on one of the flights that evening, with one segment of the video showing the incorrect date and time. One segment of video is unplayable - the file will not open on the computer. In several others, the video will be recording just fine, then suddenly stop, hold the image for several seconds, then jump to what was being recorded that much time later.

I am not touching the phone or tablet display when any of this happens, and the problem occurred on both devices, leading me to believe it is not due to the device itself. The SD card was a 32Gb with no other files on it, and one that has worked fine with the Phantom on numerous previous flights.

I love my Phantom, but the only thing I can figure that has changed is app revision and/or drone firmware. In either case, whatever was done was NOT an upgrade.

Edit: DJI Go version is 3.1.5. I need to reconnect to the drone and see what firmware revision it has.
2017-5-7
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Hoomi Posted at 2017-5-7 20:41
It's crashing on my Samsung Galaxy Tab E tablet and on my Motorola Droid Turbo phone.

To make sure it's clear, when I first downloaded the DJI Go app on the phone, it worked fine with no problems. The biggest reason I wanted to go with a tablet was for the larger screen size.

The Go App does not stop and start the recording. The most likely problem is the card itself. What card are you using?

Try formatting the card in the aircraft, you should do this regularly, as the aircraft writes a bucket-load of files to the card, many of them hidden, and while you think the card is empty, is is actually full of unwanted files.
2017-5-7
Use props
Hoomi
lvl.4
United States

I'll try that for the video recording issue, but that wouldn't explain why the app itself is closing, or why my controller range has suddenly dropped to less than a tenth of the rated range of the drone.

That said, when I looked at the properties on the SD card on Wednesday, before the flights on Friday, it showed somewhere in the range of 30Gb of free space, so I'm inclined to think the card wasn't that full.

Browsing through the forums, I've found a few things to try on the range issues. It's just frustrating that something which wasn't an issue in earlier flights, is suddenly happening on every flight.
2017-5-8
Use props
Hoomi
lvl.4
United States

Switching back to the 8Gb SD card seems to have corrected the start/stop issues on recording, though that still seems bizarre to me. The 32Gb SD card worked fine before.

I made sure the Phantom has the latest firmware and recalibrated the IMU, which was suggested for the range decrease issues, and it's still a problem. The next time I fly, I'm going to try a couple more things to rule out anything I might be doing.
2017-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules