DJI Go 4 crashing
2636 22 2017-5-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Senorpablo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 407323 ft
United States

App has crashed about every fourth flight. There is no crash folder within the log folder.

Nexus 6P, Android 7.1.2.
2017-5-5
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I don't have an answer for you but there does seem to be a lot of problems with the latest version of android. I think the only way to test whether it is all the apps running in the background or the latest version of android would be to have a phone that only has a few essential apps and DJI GO 4. I think there is a very good reason that DJI have brought out their CrystalSky with android version 5 and no other apps are allowed. That tells me something.
When I was using an android phone I know that I did have trouble trying to find the crash files. They should be definitely there somewhere. You may need to connect your phone to a computer via usb  and use file explorer to search for them from the PC.
2017-5-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Could you please clarify your current DJI GO 4 version?
2017-5-5
Use props
Senorpablo
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-5-5 23:03
Could you please clarify your current DJI GO 4 version?

It's the latest version available to me in the app store. Version 4.0.7
2017-5-5
Use props
Senorpablo
lvl.2
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-5-5 21:05
I don't have an answer for you but there does seem to be a lot of problems with the latest version of android. I think the only way to test whether it is all the apps running in the background or the latest version of android would be to have a phone that only has a few essential apps and DJI GO 4. I think there is a very good reason the DJI have brought out there CrystalSky with android version 5 and no other apps are allowed. That tells me something.
When I was using an android phone I know that I did have trouble trying to find the crash files. They should be definitely there somewhere. You may need to connect your phone to a computer via usb  and use file explorer to search for them from the PC.

I had the same issue with the DJI Go app and my Phantom 3 around Feb/March. Prior to that it worked very well. DJI updated the app and the crashing stopped.
2017-5-6
Use props
xordium
lvl.2
Flight distance : 79219 ft
Australia

Same problem, same phone, same version of Android. App gradually slows down until it becomes unresponsive.
2017-5-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Senorpablo Posted at 2017-5-5 23:54
It's the latest version available to me in the app store. Version 4.0.7

Thank you. I have reported this to our engineers.
If you can find the crash log that will be helpful.
2017-5-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

xordium Posted at 2017-5-6 02:41
Same problem, same phone, same version of Android. App gradually slows down until it becomes unresponsive.

Could you please find the crash log by below path?
/sdcard/DJI/dji.go.v4/LOG/CRASH
Have you tried to reinstall the DJI GO app? Besides, if convenient, please make a short video of this issue.
2017-5-7
Use props
xordium
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-5-7 22:59
Could you please find the crash log by below path?
/sdcard/DJI/dji.go.v4/LOG/CRASH
Have you tried to reinstall the DJI GO app? Besides, if convenient, please make a short video of this issue.

Hey Mindy, thanks for the reply.  I've been landing the drone when it starts to become unresponsive, and I restart the app and take off again, so there is nothing recorded in the crash log.  However I'll reinstall as you suggest, and will do a test that leaves the drone flying until the app fully crashes, and collect logs.
Cheers
2017-5-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

xordium Posted at 2017-5-8 19:17
Hey Mindy, thanks for the reply.  I've been landing the drone when it starts to become unresponsive, and I restart the app and take off again, so there is nothing recorded in the crash log.  However I'll reinstall as you suggest, and will do a test that leaves the drone flying until the app fully crashes, and collect logs.
Cheers

Thank you for your cooperation. :-)
2017-5-8
Use props
b33
lvl.2
Portugal

DJI must be kidding us. As if any flight crash log of us should help with a problem, that is going on for months. Maybe you should test your app with a trained team of testers? It makes no sense to use your customers for testing, as you pay this with lose of trust, faith and hope. At the and you also give room for competitors to grow.

I grounded my mavic a while ago for a month, to see if the app is progressing in stability. I came here to read on the feedback of DJI. I think they owe everyone of us a big apology as we are the ones suffering from any liable damage caused.

Pretty much a very sad story. Don't you agree? Its even worse, as i remember 20 flights in the beginning on DJI Go 3 App, never had a crash. Mindy, just look at the Appstore Reviews and please stop to make your customers work without paying them. We did pay already. Its you now who needs to deliver and i recommend you do it as soon as possible.

2017-5-9
Use props
CheckYourSix
lvl.2

United States

I'm thinking of buying a Mavic Pro but this is thread is concerning me. I have a Nexus 6P with the latest version of Android - 7.1.2

I've installed the DJI Go App and am able to open but can only do so much without connecting to a DJI product. No way am I about to go out and buy an iPhone just to use with a Mavic. Could someone tell me if this problem has been solved?
2017-5-14
Use props
CheckYourSix
lvl.2

United States

This screen capture from the Google Play Store speaks for itself. DJI could you please respond to this thread? The Nexus 6P is a very popular phone. The phone is also on your list of compatible devices. Could you please explain as to why there are so many obvious problems with the app and what is being done to correct the issue? Also understand that most all newer Google phones are the first to receive the latest version of Android. Do the negative reviews reflect the obvious bad programming of the app or does it have to do with the version of Android. Please make the case as to why I should buy a Mavic if the app which is necessary to use it doesn't work 100% of the time. This is not a game app, your app is used to control your product. Is there a waiver stating that DJI can and will be responsible for any damages both personal or of property if the app you tell us to use fails as so many have been reporting? Please advise.
Screenshot_20170514-055033.png
2017-5-14
Use props
Senorpablo
lvl.2
United States

CheckYourSix Posted at 2017-5-14 04:58
This screen capture from the Google Play Store speaks for itself. DJI could you please respond to this thread? The Nexus 6P is a very popular phone. The phone is also on your list of compatible devices. Could you please explain as to why there are so many obvious problems with the app and what is being done to correct the issue? Also understand that most all newer Google phones are the first to receive the latest version of Android. Do the negative reviews reflect the obvious bad programming of the app or does it have to do with the version of Android. Please make the case as to why I should buy a Mavic if the app which is necessary to use it doesn't work 100% of the time. This is not a game app, your app is used to control your product. Is there a waiver stating that DJI can and will be responsible for any damages both personal or of property if the app you tell us to use fails as so many have been reporting? Please advise.

Thanks for pointing this out. I just wrote my own review on the app store. 2.8 is a pretty dismal rating. I hope that DJI will step up their quality assurance.
2017-5-14
Use props
NCPhoenix
New
Flight distance : 587 ft
United States

The app fills up with local cached files. the app is only granted so much space in its "sand box", once the app cache fills up tge app trys to erease and write at the same time cuausing the lag in the app. Till finenly the app and has no were to write so it fails (Crashs)
2017-5-14
Use props
xordium
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-5-8 22:52

Hey Mindy - I did some further tests over the weekend - hopefully this is helpful to the engineers, I am happy to log a case if that's what is required.  What I found is this:

1. On a Nexus 6P, the Go 4 App doesn't generate any logs on crash. What happens is that it becomes slower and laggier, until eventually Android itself produces an error that says "DJI Go 4 has become unresponsive" and gives the choice to wait, terminate or report the error. If you choose report, then the phone locks up completely before being able to generate the report.  Only a hard restart gets out of this.
2.  Using Trepn Profiler to monitor CPU use while using DJI Go 4, CPU use sits at ~80% while flying the drone, until I start recording video, at which point CPU usage steadily builds to 100%.  It appears the phone starts falling behind the stream from the drone.  The video stream lags ~15 seconds from what the drone sees, and drops frames.  The UI of the app starts to lag badly.  Eventually Android errors the app as unesponsive (as above).
3.  I can recreate this behaviour every time I fly - just by leaving the video recording.  It takes about 10 minutes to occur.  If I fly without recording video, the problem does not occur.

It seems to be a problem with the phone being able to handle the video stream from the aircraft.  I was filming using 2.7K.

Cheers
2017-5-14
Use props
xordium
lvl.2
Australia

NCPhoenix Posted at 2017-5-14 17:53
The app fills up with local cached files. the app is only granted so much space in its "sand box", once the app cache fills up tge app trys to erease and write at the same time cuausing the lag in the app. Till finenly the app and has no were to write so it fails (Crashs)

This is really useful info - I agree it seems to be something in handling storage of local files.  if this is the case, then I guess there are two ways to prove it:
1. Set the Go4 not to cache locally on the device
2. Or clear the cache completely in Go 4 before flying, in which case it should not need to be clearing while flying?
2017-5-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

xordium Posted at 2017-5-14 18:46
Hey Mindy - I did some further tests over the weekend - hopefully this is helpful to the engineers, I am happy to log a case if that's what is required.  What I found is this:

1. On a Nexus 6P, the Go 4 App doesn't generate any logs on crash. What happens is that it becomes slower and laggier, until eventually Android itself produces an error that says "DJI Go 4 has become unresponsive" and gives the choice to wait, terminate or report the error. If you choose report, then the phone locks up completely before being able to generate the report.  Only a hard restart gets out of this.

It maybe difficult to locate the issue without the crash log.
Could you please make a short video of this issue so I can report it to our engineers for review?
2017-5-15
Use props
CheckYourSix
lvl.2

United States

Us Nexus 6P users should pitch in and buy the lead DJI engineer in charge of quality control a shiney new Nexus 6P.

Maybe this way he'll feel the frustration himself and fix the issue.

Mindy, by asking us to make a video doesn't solve the issue. Your app developer have tools to diagnose the issue described. It's probably no more than 30 lines of code. It's beyond obvious that the Android version of the DJI Go 4 app is buggy. Otherwise it would be 5 stars for the majority of users, not the opposite. What I think everyone wants to hear is this...

"Hi my name is Chang,

I'm in charge of the DJI Go4App for Android. I want to sincerely apologize to all our customers for treating you all as beta testers and for putting all of you at risk. We should have tripled checked our app before releasing it to our wonderful customers. It's not fair to you. I've read all thousands of negative reviews and I want to assure all of you that this will never happen again. Since we've made millions in profit, we've decided to buy all the phones and tablets on our compatibility list. We're going to fly our own products using these devices and make sure that each and every bug is addressed. In the meantime here is a link for each phone. Each day we will update these pages to let you know exactly where we are in the process of correcting these bugs. Until then we ask all customers to stop flying our products until we have performed extensive testing ourselves.

It's not fair that you have to report a bug via our forum then hope an engineer sees it. From now one we will stop giving our customers the run around and allow you to report problems directly to the team responsible so we can take immediate action.

Most importantly, I need you to understand that without you, we wouldn't have a job. It's you our customers that keep our doors open. We now understand that, and promise you that the software needed to fly our products safely will be thoroughly checked and tested before we recommend it to our customers.

Again, I sincerely apologize for all the problems and frustrations our app has caused you.

At DJI we have turned a new leaf. We no longer what to compete with companies like Comcast as being the leader in bad support. We want our service to be in par with our product.

Sincerely,

Chang
Directed of Quality Assurance"

Is this a pipe dream?
2017-6-2
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

As wonderful as this would be, yes this is a pipe dream and way beyond wishful thinking.
2017-6-2
Use props
Day In Nature
lvl.2
Flight distance : 69783 ft
Lithuania

I have same issues with nexus 5x. App starts to lag and eventually hangs... Never had a stable app since i bought mavic in January. Always weird quirks...
2017-6-2
Use props
Frustrated beyo
lvl.1
United States

CheckYourSix Posted at 2017-5-14 04:47
I'm thinking of buying a Mavic Pro but this is thread is concerning me. I have a Nexus 6P with the latest version of Android - 7.1.2

I've installed the DJI Go App and am able to open but can only do so much without connecting to a DJI product. No way am I about to go out and buy an iPhone just to use with a Mavic. Could someone tell me if this problem has been solved?

It may be to late but I wouldn't by one. My mavic was great before the updates but now the go 4 app crashes routinely during flight on my Samsung galaxy 7 and am totally unable to update my firmware using there apps. I have called service and they are reading from a help line script and unable to provide relevant help. Just looks through the forum you will find many threads and pages of these same problems but no published software fixes. I wish I hadn't bought mine
2017-6-2
Use props
Frustrated beyo
lvl.1
United States

Frustrated beyo Posted at 2017-6-2 14:56
It may be to late but I wouldn't by one. My mavic was great before the updates but now the go 4 app crashes routinely during flight on my Samsung galaxy 7 and am totally unable to update my firmware using there apps. I have called service and they are reading from a help line script and unable to provide relevant help. Just looks through the forum you will find many threads and pages of these same problems but no published software fixes. I wish I hadn't bought mine

Update to my last reply. Administrator Thor was able to fix my firmware update issues and I flew with an iPad with out issue. I think my phone updates and Go4 still do not agree, hopefully Dji will be able to work it out in the future so I can fly with my phone like I did a few months ago"without issue"
2017-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules