did anybody had this RTH odd behaviour ?
1711 17 2017-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansd162b64e
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19222 ft
France

Hi!

during RTH (preset to 50m altitude), the aircraft first climbed to 50m as expected before going back to home point and then climbed (without any stick action)  to 70m above home point before landing. Why did it climb exactly 20m above the preset 50m preset altitude and just above home point before landing?  all vision system protection was activated. have the vision sensors been fooled by the sun ?  thanks for helping to understand what happened. regards, Stephan

here is a dropbox link to .DAT et .TXT : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p74xd ... wpchldXI0H3era?dl=0

2017-5-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello, could you please sync your flight records from DJI GO app and let me know your DJI account email and the date this occurred?
I'll help to review it.
2017-5-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Yes if you were flying into the sun this can happen.
2017-5-6
Use props
fansd162b64e
lvl.2
France

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-5-6 00:44
Hello, could you please sync your flight records from DJI GO app and let me know your DJI account email and the date this occurred?
I'll help to review it.

Hello!    I did, and sent you DJI account in PM
2017-5-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fansd162b64e Posted at 2017-5-6 02:19
Hello!    I did, and sent you DJI account in PM

Sorry for my late reply.
I have checked your flight records and I see the problem. Could you please export the flight data via DJI assistant then upload it to dropbox or google drive?
I'll forward your data to our engineers for review.
2017-5-7
Use props
fansd162b64e
lvl.2
France

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-5-7 22:49
Sorry for my late reply.
I have checked your flight records and I see the problem. Could you please export the flight data via DJI assistant then upload it to dropbox or google drive?
I'll forward your data to our engineers for review.

Thank you for investigating, here is the link

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p74xd0y9zmd7y59/AAB56_8ImzAwpchldXI0H3era?dl=0

regards
2017-5-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fansd162b64e Posted at 2017-5-8 06:40
Thank you for investigating, here is the link

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p74xd0y9zmd7y59/AAB56_8ImzAwpchldXI0H3era?dl=0

Thank you. I have reported this to our engineers.
If we get any update, we will let you know.
2017-5-8
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-6 01:58
Yes if you were flying into the sun this can happen.

How does flying "into" the sun reconfigure the RTH to again add altitude in the RTH phase of operation?

This seems to be software issue.
2017-5-21
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-5-21 18:21
How does flying "into" the sun reconfigure the RTH to again add altitude in the RTH phase of operation?

This seems to be software issue.

it detects the sun as object and tries to avoid it. but you should get some collision warnings on your remote.
e:
i'm new to reading out dat files/logs, but i see some [L-RC]Emergency break. rc vib! on the way home...
2017-5-22
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

UCBarkeeper Posted at 2017-5-22 00:46
it detects the sun as object and tries to avoid it. but you should get some collision warnings on your remote.
e:
i'm new to reading out dat files/logs, but i see some [L-RC]Emergency break. rc vib! on the way home...

So if a RTH path is heading towards the sun the Maiv will detect as false positive and rise 20 metres to clear before moving forward?
Seems odd that the AC was above the RTH point when this occurred. I wonder if the AC had stopped OR was about to stop when it rose.

2017-5-22
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

yeah as far as i can tell it was not exactly above, first emergency break and rise is with 10m distance to the home point. second one is with 2-3m distance.
but yeah, i had to learn this the hard way. rth against the sun is a pain in the ass. if you are low on battery and lose the video feed... oh boy. that is one of the reasons i try to fly back manually, if i have control over the ac (in sports mode against the sun, to avoid that collision warning stuff).
2017-5-22
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1316732 ft
  • >>>
British Virgin Islands

I have had similar RTH altitude problems - sometimes at beginning of RTH, sometimes at the end.  Many were NOT facing the sun, so that theory does not always explain the problem.
2017-6-12
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

W.T. Foxtrot Posted at 2017-6-12 07:29
I have had similar RTH altitude problems - sometimes at beginning of RTH, sometimes at the end.  Many were NOT facing the sun, so that theory does not always explain the problem.

Shadows can cause the same thing.

Makes sense that it would climb 20 meters to get over a perceived obstacle.   

Moral of the story - fly manually.  RTH cannot understand anything outside its basic programming.

2017-6-12
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
  • >>>
British Virgin Islands

Xman1 Posted at 2017-6-12 07:58
Shadows can cause the same thing.

Makes sense that it would climb 20 meters to get over a perceived obstacle.   

Shadows?  The sun being perceived as an orb in front of you I can buy into...But what kind of shadows are you going to get at 3-400' in the air?  Shadows are cast on solid objects, i.e. the ground below.  
The first time this happened to me, I was running DJI GSPro on a mission at 95 m. The approx 16 minute run went off without any problems (pretty much a midday flight, so sun was overhead).  But my EOM action was a RTH.  The Mavic immediately started ascending, even though it was already at 95m and my RTH ALT was set to 50m.  It ascended to over 200m before I figured out how to control it.   

Would love to see some video/images of what you are talking about.
2017-6-14
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

W.T. Foxtrot Posted at 2017-6-14 17:16
Shadows?  The sun being perceived as an orb in front of you I can buy into...But what kind of shadows are you going to get at 3-400' in the air?  Shadows are cast on solid objects, i.e. the ground below.  
The first time this happened to me, I was running DJI GSPro on a mission at 95 m. The approx 16 minute run went off without any problems (pretty much a midday flight, so sun was overhead).  But my EOM action was a RTH.  The Mavic immediately started ascending, even though it was already at 95m and my RTH ALT was set to 50m.  It ascended to over 200m before I figured out how to control it.   

You got a point being up that high and no mountains.  I must have missed that.

Now your issue sounds is weirder.  
2017-6-15
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't think it sees the sun itself but lens flair type thing. It SEEMS to happen so quickly that you don't get the collision avoidance bars or warning sounds. Mine climbed to over 500ft while only 5 feet from the home point before it landed.

2017-6-15
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ran into this w my MP. Manual is the way to go except in RYA e of emergency.
2018-2-26
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

W.T. Foxtrot Posted at 2018-2-26 18:41
Ran into this w my MP. Manual is the way to go except in RYA e of emergency.

If flying around sunset or close to this time, i turn off sensors, or go into S mode. Doing a RTH, got almost to home point & started rising for no apart reason, seems lense flare is a real issue,
Sometimes i'd get this warning =- "Overload, return sticks to center position & fly normally", WTF?
or just -" obstruction detected, return sticks to center position".
turning off sensors stopped all this nonesence!
cheers
2018-2-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules