Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Need recommendations
1868 25 2017-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Newbie flyer
lvl.1

Canada

Hello everyone,

Totally new to Dji but very interested in flying / taking pictures & videos. I am relatively new in flying drones, have a couple toy ones and a flight simluator that I play with. Just had the opportunity to purchase a Dji P3S and it's still sealed in the box.

The company I purchased from has no return policy once the box is opened. So I am hoping that I can seek your advice before I made my decision.

In Canada where I'm purchasing the drone
P3S - $579
P3P - $999
P4 - $1299

Based on the fact that I'm so new to drones and have no immediate need for all advance features, I decided on the P3S, and if by next year I'm still hooked with this hobby, I could probably get a P4 for less than $1299. If I ended up crashed this one, it'll only be $579.  I have no plans of doing much long range flying at the moment as I'm still new to this.

Now before I open the box and at the point of no return, I would like to hear your advice. Thanks in advance.

Steven
2017-5-6
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Steven,

By (buy) all means get the P3P - $999!  That is the best bang for your buck.  I challenge anyone to say different!  You will never regret it.  I have all the newest ones but I will never give up my P3P!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-5-6
Use props
Newbie flyer
lvl.1

Canada

Does the feature worth the $400 difference? I'm really struggling here because from the P3P, it's only $300 more to the P4. Which have longer flight time and better sensors. I am more or less feeling this the P3S is going to be just a trainer and I'll upgrade again eventually.

Considering the fact that the P3 batteries and P4 ones are different, I was hoping to keep my initial expenses low.

Can anyone else chime in and share your opinions? I've seen many purchasing upgrade for better range and I guess I'll factor in another $80 for the upgrade. So let's say we're looking at $650 (P3S + upgrade) vs P3P ($999) vs P4 ($1299).

With so many P3S owners here, I'd like to hear your opinion if you could do it all over again.
2017-5-6
Use props
WD9EON
Captain
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

Newbie flyer Posted at 2017-5-6 15:31
Does the feature worth the $400 difference? I'm really struggling here because from the P3P, it's only $300 more to the P4. Which have longer flight time and better sensors. I am more or less feeling this the P3S is going to be just a trainer and I'll upgrade again eventually.

Considering the fact that the P3 batteries and P4 ones are different, I was hoping to keep my initial expenses low.

If and when I purchase a new drone, if will be one with the display unit built in to the controller, I'm tired of hearing and seeing "Is it on the compatibility list?"  That's my only complaint with the P3S.

2017-5-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The elephant in the room is the P3S, no-one wants to say it is a problem child. You will get far better range and performance with the P3P due to its superior image transmission system.
2017-5-6
Use props
Newbie flyer
lvl.1

Canada

Assuming we write the P3S off the list, would you take the P3P for $999 or the P4 for $1299?

It is harder for me to swallow the $400 or $350 from P3S to P3P but quite a bit easiest to justify the extra $300 from the P3P to the P4 really. I think the longer flight time, the better props, the raised motors, the new sensors and it's original box does justify the $300 easily.
2017-5-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Newbie flyer Posted at 2017-5-6 16:23
Assuming we write the P3S off the list, would you take the P3P for $999 or the P4 for $1299?

It is harder for me to swallow the $400 or $350 from P3S to P3P but quite a bit easiest to justify the extra $300 from the P3P to the P4 really. I think the longer flight time, the better props, the raised motors, the new sensors and it's original box does justify the $300 easily.

I still fly a P3P, so there is your answer. As far as I am concerned, it was one of the most reliable aircraft in the Phantom series.
2017-5-6
Use props
Newbie flyer
lvl.1

Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-5-6 16:36
I still fly a P3P, so there is your answer. As far as I am concerned, it was one of the most reliable aircraft in the Phantom series.

Hello Geebax,

I understand you did not justify the upgrade. But I'm speaking of buying new here. If the answer from this group is P3P over the P3S, I might actually explore the P4 for the extra $299
2017-5-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Newbie flyer Posted at 2017-5-6 17:01
Hello Geebax,

I understand you did not justify the upgrade. But I'm speaking of buying new here. If the answer from this group is P3P over the P3S, I might actually explore the P4 for the extra $299

I am suggesting you may be buying $299 worth of extra trouble. Those new features you mention are not necessarily worth the $299. And what if you get bored with it after a few weeks, all that extra money sitting there doing nothing?  But, it's your money......
2017-5-6
Use props
Aeromirage
Captain
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

P3S uses wifi as the video link. Terrible!! Everything above that has Lightbridge and a better camera.
I started with a P3S and sold it after 2 days, moved up to the P3P, which I kept for a week, then sold that and went to the Inspire.
I still have that plus I have gotten a P4P for an even better camera. 20mp, auto focus, aperture. So, if I could keep only one, it would have to be the P4P.... best bang for the buck!!
Just my 2 cents.....
2017-5-6
Use props
Michgolden
First Officer
Flight distance : 822851 ft
United States

Hi Newbie flyer. Here's my advice. Set a dollar amount that YOU are completely comfortable with. Next purchase the best AC you can and remain within the dollar amount (allow for some room for extras like batteries etc.). If that happens to be the Standard then so be it, it's a great unit and you'll enjoy it with the option of "moving up" someday. If you can swing the Pro or your budget allows for the 4 then even better. The point I'm trying to make is that don't stress the wallet past what you should, that's called "Buyers remorse". Believe me, they're all an absolute blast! I have a Standard and love it.
2017-5-6
Use props
NM_Quad
Second Officer
United States

I've had the P3S almost since released and still love it.  Does everything I want it to do.  That's the answer to your question ... what do you want to use it for?  If you want fairly decent photos and video and flying in areas where collision avoidance and the few other bells and whistles don't matter, or not flying in high wi-fi concentration areas, it should be fine.  Remember your cost will also include the iPod or similar device and before long you will want an extra battery or 2 or 3.  That is an additional cost regardless of which model you get.  I've never flown a P3P or P4, and most P3P or P4 owners haven't flown a P3S, so such true comparisons are hard to really get.  They're superior models only because they paid more money and assume much better.  They are better models, but are they FAR better than the P3S?  Likely not.   Only draw back I see is the P3S may be approaching the end of its life in DJI production and availability, though props, batteries, etc. should be available for some time to come.  Let us know what you decide, but the P3S is not the piece of junk some would like you to believe.  My main advice is take it out of the box, read the manual, watch a few good videos, and learn to fly it before you attempt any upgrades to avoid the problems that sometimes causes.  After all, it was put in that box ready to fly with the software and firmware loaded.

2017-5-6
Use props
Newbie flyer
lvl.1

Canada

Guys, thank you for the advice. I feel like I would like the P3S, because I don't think I have the courage to fly long range flights, plus in Canada, our regulation doesn't really allow us to do much FPV flight anyway.

I actually have a hidden agenda behind getting approval for the P3S. I wanted a second battery but it runs for almost $200 here. I am wondering if it makes more sense to buy a second P3S for it's battery and use the other bird as backup / parts. For the amount of money they are asking for, it's almost better to buy a spare P3S and use it's battery, props and everything else as parts.

Just some random thoughts here.
2017-5-6
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Newbie flyer Posted at 2017-5-6 17:01
Hello Geebax,

The P3P is a huge upgrade from the Standard.
The P4 is a much smaller step beyond the P3P.
They have the same camera and Lightbridge control.
Most of the other differences sound great as marketing material but only offer a small upgrade in user experience.

2017-5-6
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

The real elephant in the room is no matter what you buy where will you fly it?

Just about your whole country is a no fly zone if you want to do it legally.
2017-5-6
Use props
Newbie flyer
lvl.1

Canada

Cabansail Posted at 2017-5-6 22:48
The real elephant in the room is no matter what you buy where will you fly it?

Just about your whole country is a no fly zone if you want to do it legally.

That is a great question, that is also a reason I don't want to invest too much into the copter.

I live in the no fly zone within 9km to the airport, so technically I can't even fly in my backyard. I'll need to drive maybe 45 mins to an hour before I can fly this.

I probably only get to fly this a few hours a month and probably less than 50 hours within  next year.
2017-5-7
Use props
Badbobstikibar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 620112 ft
United States

Stick with what you got. Go out and have fun no matter what you fly. PS.  I have a P3S and love it. Great right out of the box with no problems .

BadBob
2017-5-7
Use props
WD9EON
Captain
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

Newbie flyer Posted at 2017-5-7 08:13
That is a great question, that is also a reason I don't want to invest too much into the copter.

I live in the no fly zone within 9km to the airport, so technically I can't even fly in my backyard. I'll need to drive maybe 45 mins to an hour before I can fly this.

It is beginning to sound like you need to get into RC trucks instead.  At least you can run them in the back yard.
2017-5-7
Use props
Bradders
Second Officer
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

I just brought a P3S £435 on Amazon, It gets around 500m range however for the price it is a excellent drone to learn on, remember the P3P is double the price
2017-5-7
Use props
Newbie flyer
lvl.1

Canada

Bradders Posted at 2017-5-7 11:06
I just brought a P3S £435 on Amazon, It gets around 500m range however for the price it is a excellent drone to learn on, remember the P3P is double the price

I fly the hubsan X4 in my front and back yard.  This is more a tool to capture images and videos on vacation. If the P3S will be suitable for a year, my plan is to upgrade next year.
2017-5-7
Use props
Bradders
Second Officer
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

Newbie flyer Posted at 2017-5-7 11:14
I fly the hubsan X4 in my front and back yard.  This is more a tool to capture images and videos on vacation. If the P3S will be suitable for a year, my plan is to upgrade next year.

Yes I have the X4 too, its a fun small drone, honestly go ahead and use the P3S, you honestly won't be disappointed especially at the cost, it flys great and will defiantly keep you occupied for a year until you upgrade, at that time I would recommend a P4 or a Mavic
2017-5-7
Use props
Kneepuck
Captain
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Personally, I would forget the Standard.  The low range issue is a serious drawback.  However, contrary to the other advice given,  I would look real hard at the P3 Advanced if I were you.  Mostly the same performance as the P3Pro except for the camera.  And not much more than a Standard, price wise.  I still fly my Advanced all the time and am still very happy with it.  I don't even remember the last time I flew my Standard.
2017-5-7
Use props
timnwcove
lvl.4
Flight distance : 87428 ft
Canada

i would go for a refurbished p3a, direct from dji.
2017-5-7
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

Newbie flyer Posted at 2017-5-7 08:13

I would look on a map to see how far you would need to travel to fly legally in Canada.

Of course you are within a 9km radius of an airfield, what you may not realise is how many airfields there are and they do not have to be active to make flying illegal under your (ridiculous) very prohibitive laws. I think many people reading it think it's only the major airports but that is not the case.

If you are lucky enough to find a patch of ground more than 9km away from anywhere a plane can land or take off, including waterways, then you have to keep away from people buildings vehicles and animals by (IIRC) 70m.
They do not say you cannot fly but in reality if you do it will probably be an illegal operation.
2017-5-7
Use props
Newbie flyer
lvl.1

Canada

Just an update. I ended up trading up to the P3P mainly for the range due to the fear of loosing signal. I also knew that I would be performing the antenna upgrade in the near future which would bring the cost up another $70. So I decided to trade up to the P3P instead base on some of the recommendation here.
2017-5-10
Use props
hitz
lvl.1
Malaysia

I have a P3S and also a P3P, but i mostly fly the P3S for leisure and use the P3P for work.
2017-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules