Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Lost prop during Sport mode
891 7 2017-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tony Waikiki
lvl.1
Flight distance : 643353 ft
Malaysia

Yesterday while in sport mode, a propeller disengaged itself causing the Mavic to crash... This was my 3rd flight of the day, with all previous flights having no incidents and i did not touch the props at all !!... Has this ever happened to anyone else ??
2017-5-7
Use props
rydfree41
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

I haven't had it happen on the Mavic but it happens with race drones quite often which is why we check the props very carefully .  Quick changes in direction and wind etc will flex and weaken props over time .  You don't have to worry about camera ships so much since their primary function is to fly slow and steady but with the Mavic having a sport mode and folding props  it would be wise to check the props before each flight . Hope not much damage to your Mavic .
2017-5-7
Use props
Mcflying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

No, never happened to me and props should stay on, also in sportsmode.

I usually do a quick check after every battery switch.
Checking gimbal, props and airfan intake.
But so far there was never a problem.
2017-5-7
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

I kind of had it happen.  I had just put on my props and started the motors and let it hover before I started to fly and thats when one of the props came off.  I did NOT double check all of my props and that was the result.  I agree with the other to posters above, that you need to check EACH prop before every flight...this includes a battery change.

I am only speculation but it is possible that, that one prop that flew off was "on" but not totally locked into place and with a flex or change of some sort, popped it out of place.  Again, speculating.  
2017-5-7
Use props
SkunkWerxs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

Tony Waikiki , This has happen to Form Member "jeebs"
2017-5-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-5-7 05:08
Tony Waikiki , This has happen to Form Member "jeebs"

Think jeebs had same problem as ProQuad, his came off while hovering, op came off in Sport mode, so I'm wondering how quick he went into sport after taking off, as ProQuad said he felt he was responsible for his mishap, think jeebs is still a little sore about his, he thought it was a defect in the Mavic .
2017-5-7
Use props
SkunkWerxs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-7 05:29
Think jeebs had same problem as ProQuad, his came off while hovering, op came off in Sport mode, so I'm wondering how quick he went into sport after taking off, as ProQuad said he felt he was responsible for his mishap, think jeebs is still a little sore about his, he thought it was a defect in the Mavic .

Hi Hall ,   In my opinion , what happened to jeebs could have happen to anybody , he stated that he  
              noticed  one of the locking tabs on the prop was broken off after he went down weather it
              happened from normal use or was  a defect in manufacturing <------This would be really
              hard to prove --- If there was fracture in the plastic at the locking tab it would be almost
              impossible to see and easily overlooked . If it were to happen to me , I would say O-well, it's
              one of those thing that can and does happen.   
     As for your thought on about Sports mode --- I fly some what Aggressive in Sports mode and would
              not be surprised if a prop flew off from the stress I put on them --- I'm more surprised that
              they don't fly off lolllllll -- I think it's an excellent design on DJI's part !!!
FlySafe-FlyFree     

2017-5-7
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

"i did not touch the props at all" maybe that was the issue.

As it was said before, you need to check the props BEFORE and AFTER each flight. Check the mount, make sure they are locked, Checks the blades and clean them from mosquito's smudges etc. Make sure the battery is FIRMLY locked in position. Check the sensors for smudges and clean them.

I always run the motors on for at least a minute, then after the GPS/stats lock, I take off to 5' and hover for another minute turning the drone in all direction and then up, up and away!

Better be safe than sorry!

Good luck!
2017-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules