NVIDIA Shield Tablet - Compatible HDMI goggles (Help needed)
2034 10 2017-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GTMonster
lvl.2
Flight distance : 291555 ft
United Kingdom

I am looking for a good set of FPV goggles compatible with the shield tablet. I recently tried the Aomway Commander V1 goggles, but these do not work with the tablet HDMI output (also not compatible with my vision as I could not get the screen to look sharp (blurred sheen all over image)). Anoyingly there is nowere to try goggles locally so I purchased blind at low cost from china. Unfortunately I had to pay return postange and took a 10% restock fee!

Please can anyone who has tried a set of goggles with this pad note of the make, model and version of the goggles, advise if they worked or not and also give pros and cons. I am also open to solutions where an HDMI to analogue converter is used to make non HDMI goggles compatible (please prove detailes of all kit used).

Thanks.

I shall endevour to keep this list updated

Aomway Commander V1 - Not compatible (HDMI input not seen) (Appeared blurred to my eyes)

2017-5-8
Use props
Rob Fontenot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 250197 ft
United States

Avegant Glyphs - Pros: Once adjusted for your eyes, performance is outstanding.  You can look above & below eyepiece to maintain visual of your drone or tablet without removing the goggles.  You can use the Glyphs with any device that has HDMI output.  Bright, razor sharp display, not affected by sunlight.  Rechargeable with 3.5-4 hrs of use between charges. Headtracking works with use of additional USB to RC cable.   Cons: Pricey ($500).  Not as immersive experience as other goggles due to smaller screen view (these are NOT VR goggles).
2017-5-8
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha GT,

The Eachine Goggles Two cost $140 and are HDMI compatible.  They also have radio transmitter ability.  I have a pair I use with my P4 Pro and take the HDMI right off the nVidia Shield K1 tablet.  The goggles are 1080p resolution and give me 20/20 vision.

Only the P4 Pro can put out 1080p Live View resolution in the Phantom line.  Some claim that only the P4 Pro+ (plus) can put out 1080p but my P4 Pro gives me 20/20 vision.  None of the other goggles, especially the FatShark goggles, get anywhere near 20/20.  Some other goggles are rated 1080p, but are quite expensive.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-5-8
Use props
Augustus Brian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 397592 ft
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-5-8 20:25
Aloha GT,

The Eachine Goggles Two cost $140 and are HDMI compatible.  They also have radio transmitter ability.  I have a pair I use with my P4 Pro and take the HDMI right off the nVidia Shield K1 tablet.  The goggles are 1080p resolution and give me 20/20 vision.

Cetacean:

You say that they give you 20/20 vision. Please elaborate. Assuming you have younger eyes, for older eyes, is there a way to adjust them?
Can you see over the humpish nosepiece?
Are they light on your head?  Front-heavy?

I have the Shield K1 and had considered these goggles for the direct 1080 link.

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2017-5-9
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Augustus Brian Posted at 2017-5-9 11:35
Cetacean:

You say that they give you 20/20 vision. Please elaborate. Assuming you have younger eyes, for older eyes, is there a way to adjust them?

Aloha Augustus,

My eyes are old and lasered.  I had to buy John Lennon reading glasses with 3.0 diopter to see up that close, but it has paid off.  The reading glasses cover all the screen and have overlap in the middle.  They are a perfect shape but there may be other shapes.  I bought the glasses from Banggood.com along with the Eachine Goggles Two.

When I say 20/20, I mean way better than 720p.  Some have commented that the P4 Pro only put out 720p, but my HDMI output on the nVidia Shield K1 provides a much better 1080p.  The HDMI module for the P4 Pro only puts out 720p but I use the K1 HDMI output.  In order to avoid an argument over resolution, I just say 20/20 because I know what that is.  I have been legally blind since third grade until I got lasered on September 11, 2001.  I love being able to see clearly without glasses.

Of all my goggles, these are the least expensive and clearest.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-5-9
Use props
Augustus Brian
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-5-9 13:50
Aloha Augustus,

My eyes are old and lasered.  I had to buy John Lennon reading glasses with 3.0 diopter to see up that close, but it has paid off.  The reading glasses cover all the screen and have overlap in the middle.  They are a perfect shape but there may be other shapes.  I bought the glasses from Banggood.com along with the Eachine Goggles Two.

Cetacean:

Thanks for this information. I've worn glasses since the second grade: 20/200 without. I would need a similar dioptered set of spectacles for these goggles, because your description of your solution means that the goggles likely do not have an adjustment built-in?

Also, might I inquire as to where/when you were (city, time of day) when you received your laser treatment?

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2017-5-10
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Augustus Brian Posted at 2017-5-10 16:44
Cetacean:

Thanks for this information. I've worn glasses since the second grade: 20/200 without. I would need a similar dioptered set of spectacles for these goggles, because your description of your solution means that the goggles likely do not have an adjustment built-in?

Aloha Augustus,

Not New York!  But I walked out of the building to see all these TVs blaring and my eyes were still traumatized.  We are 6 hours after the East Coast, so at 10 o'clock mayhem had already broken loose but the second had not fallen yet.

In post #3 I mention that the goggles only cost $140.  The glasses cost less than $10.  All in all, I am doing real well for such a low cost.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-5-10
Use props
Augustus Brian
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-5-10 17:24
Aloha Augustus,

Not New York!  But I walked out of the building to see all these TVs blaring and my eyes were still traumatized.  We are 6 hours after the East Coast, so at 10 o'clock mayhem had already broken loose but the second had not fallen yet.

Cetacean:

Thanks for this valuable information. I'll likely be ordering these goggles, and the glasses as well.

Also, what a coincidental memory: Clear vision on a clear day, with a clear case of incursion.

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2017-5-11
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Augustus Brian Posted at 2017-5-11 04:22
Cetacean:

Thanks for this valuable information. I'll likely be ordering these goggles, and the glasses as well.

Aloha Augustus,

And that is not to even mention the laser!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-5-11
Use props
Augustus Brian
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-5-9 13:50
Aloha Augustus,

Cetacean:

I saw the John Lennon glasses on Banggood, assuming you meant the round ones. Do the Eachine goggles Two allow you to wear them comfortably, without pressure on the temples or the frame? Thanks.

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2017-5-12
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Augustus Brian Posted at 2017-5-12 09:41
Cetacean:

I saw the John Lennon glasses on Banggood, assuming you meant the round ones. Do the Eachine goggles Two allow you to wear them comfortably, without pressure on the temples or the frame? Thanks.

Aloha Augustus,

It is a slightly tight fit but mine are in the goggles and just stay there.  I have no use for gasses that can read that close, so no need to take them out.  The frames are metal so as long as you are not bending them often they will hold a bend as needed.  BTW, I have not used the foam cushions yet since the fit is reasonable as long as I am not flying for a long time.  All these foam face cushions eventually get rancid because of the face oils.  One manufacturer has come out with vinyl lined cushions but they are not common yet.

Be sure to check the diopter you need by reading a fine print  3 or 4  inches from each eye.  Banggood sells the glasses by the diopter.  The max 3.0 works well for me.  With your nearsightedness you may be able to use a lower diopter.  The eye scope to screen is perfect for me with those round glasses and the round frame is naturally narrow and allows them to fit inside the goggles way better than other shaped frames.  

It takes some adjusting to get the glasses and goggles working together to fit your face.  The goggles plastic foam shape is for somewhat fine features but I have felt no need to shave anything down and like I said I am not using the foam cushions yet.  Be sure to have the bridge firmly back against the nose because that gives you the best eye scope to screen for coverage and overlap.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules