11574 21 2017-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gallacherboy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 778209 ft
United Kingdom

Hi guys

I have checked online and the information is very brief about Drone laws in Cyprus. Might be looking in the wrong place.

Anyone taken a drone to Cyprus on holiday recenlty? I will be in the Southern part. Mostly in the capital city, Nicosia.

Thanks
2017-5-8
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cyprus Nicosia is part of the EU so it is safe to stay that the same UAV laws in EU apply to them too. Rule of thumb, don't fly over people, beaches, city, airport, stay below 120m
2017-5-8
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

EU countries have their own drone related laws at the moment. Cyprus relationship to the EU is not a simple one, their laws will be closer to Turkey.
You need to get permission for any aerial photography
http://www.mcw.gov.cy/mcw/dca/dc ... 2B6EBA?OpenDocument

The other laws are linked from there, but I don't read Greek very well, but it doesn't look good
2017-5-8
Use props
AndrewF403
lvl.3
Flight distance : 543110 ft
Ukraine

I did a brief research on this. Looks like you'll need to provide flight plan and state the reason for taking images/videos. Forms are available online.
2017-5-8
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

The rules are a bit more specific than European laws

How close can I fly my drone to residential (built up) areas, isolated buildings and people?
A safety distance of one (1) kilometre from residential areas and five hundred (500) metres from isolated buildings, people, vehicles, animals, structures, etc. (except with the permission of the owner/person), should be maintained at all times.  

How high can I fly my drone?
Drones in the open category are not allowed to fly at a height of more than fifty (50) metres (170 feet) above ground level.

They have two classes, Open (recriational) and Special (commercial)
You dont need a licence for Open category but you are limited by the above, 50m height and 500m away or 1km in populated areas, so just be extra cautious.
I'm going in July to Paphos and i'll be taking my mavic.
I've just sent an email to Jet2 who i'll be flying with to get in writting that i'm ok to take my mavic and batteries in with me on the plane, so i dont get any issues when i do fly

See here - http://www.360ifly.com/news/62-drone-laws-cyprus
2017-5-8
Use props
Gallacherboy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

dronist Posted at 2017-5-8 06:34
Cyprus Nicosia is part of the EU so it is safe to stay that the same UAV laws in EU apply to them too. Rule of thumb, don't fly over people, beaches, city, airport, stay below 120m

All other EU countries have different UAV laws and not all the laws apply. Recently I was in Germany and they have a hight limit of 100 meters, thanks for your reply
2017-5-13
Use props
Gallacherboy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Danny-B- Posted at 2017-5-8 15:07

How close can I fly my drone to residential (built up) areas, isolated buildings and people?

So for recreational operators, we dont need a licence? The Cypriot Department of Civil Aviation does not have a category for Recreational drone operators. Good to know, you mentioned you contacted your airline about permission? Could you please elaborate on that
2017-5-13
Use props
wobbles
lvl.4
Flight distance : 547438 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Danny B.....Hi I am too going to Cyprus with jet2 , protarus so could you let me know how you get on with taking drone with you , I have p4p+ and Spark..so will be interested in the outcome...thanks in advance
2017-7-10
Use props
Ted903
lvl.1
Flight distance : 653681 ft
Cyprus

Hi guys. I'm presently in paphos at the moment.  The country of Cyprus is NOT drone friendly.  To fly you do need a permit for recreational use. You need to request permission 10 working days before hand. If you do not have a permit to fly the police will confiscate the drone .

http://www.mcw.gov.cy/mcw/dca/dc ... 2B6EBA?OpenDocument

http://in-cyprus.com/permit-needed-to-fly-a-drone/

http://cyprus-mail.com/2017/04/19/drone-confiscated/

Hope the links work.
2017-7-13
Use props
Ted903
lvl.1
Flight distance : 653681 ft
Cyprus

360ifly can do the course to enable you to fly in Cyprus but it will cost you about 235 Euro
2017-7-13
Use props
fansd33dc7d5
New
Flight distance : 24869 ft
United Kingdom

Hi
I am going to Cyprus in 3 weeks and have been worried about the laws, I contacted 360ifly and this is what I got back. Hope it helps. I don’t think I will be taking my mavic not worth the risk.
Please find a FAQ for recreational and commercial use attached. Note Cyprus DCA require drone users to have received training by an approved organisation such as ours.

The reference to 10 days is old information which DCA have not as yet removed.

Please also like and see our Facebook page for the rules in Cyprus.

Regards

360iFly team
2017-7-18
Use props
fansf231bcaa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 42457 ft
United Kingdom

Ted903 Posted at 2017-7-13 12:12
Hi guys. I'm presently in paphos at the moment.  The country of Cyprus is NOT drone friendly.  To fly you do need a permit for recreational use. You need to request permission 10 working days before hand. If you do not have a permit to fly the police will confiscate the drone .

http://www.mcw.gov.cy/mcw/dca/dca.nsf/All/4EC5F0F639D2D06DC2257DA3002B6EBA?OpenDocument

Hi, my god this drone lark is so annoying, then again I suppose some pilots have spoilt it for the rest of us.
I'm going to Cyprus in september, how do I get this permission please, is there a form or a contact to put in my request? Thank you for your help
2017-7-31
Use props
Atyl1972
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Danny-B- Posted at 2017-5-8 15:07

hi, how did you get on taking your drone to cyprus?
2017-8-19
Use props
wglovett
lvl.3
Canada

Wow, I thought Ontario was a buzzkill
2017-8-19
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

Hi folks, sorry i missed the replies ...

I went to cyprus in July and took the mavic, along with my goggles. before i went I registered with cyprus caa, there is a form on their site that you download, fill in and email back to them. Print that out to take with you.
Although 360ifly kinda make it sound like you need to do their licence, you dont, it is NOT a requirement for recreational use.

Do I need an operating and/or pilot license?
Users of drones that come under the Open Category are not required to hold an Operating License or drone pilot license from the Competent Authority (Cyprus Department of Civil Aviation), in order to fly their drone within the airspace of the Republic of Cyprus.  They must nevertheless follow the rules.

Going through security in the UK with the kit ... You obviously need to keep the mavic and batteries in your cabin luggage (due to battery regs) but its fine. Just unpack it at security and pop it in one of the plastic containers like you would with a tablet/laptop/camera etc. You wont get any hassle - least i didnt anyway.

In Cyprus laws are restrictive somewhat ... 50m height max so i would suggest setting your limit to 50m and RTH to 50m max. maximum distance is 500m from you too so you might aswel set max distance to 500m in the app to keep yourself on the safe side.
Make sure you do a compass calibration when before you fily as it will be way off from wherever you had calibrated it before.
Dont fly anywhere near built up areas as the police will confiscate it. Keep your CAA registration form in your bag so you can show anyone if they ask, its always good to show you are being as responsible as you can be.

I flew only 3 times, once at Aphrodites rock, but it was a little windy and my camera decided to restart and calibrate mid flight when i was over the sea, which scared the life out of me. I flew back in a hurry and landed!!

Coming back through Paphos airport security, I put the mavic in the plastic container as normal and watched as it went through the Xray machine. The guy operating it stopped the line and was having a good look on his monitor, he called me over and asked what it was, he then asked me how many batteries there were and what the capacity was. He then asked me to open the bag, took out one of the batteries and was looking at the specs ... after about 2 mins or so, he said alls fine and let me through ... i was a little bit nervous as the queue was building up at this point ... lol

All in all, it was well worth taking, no hassle at all really, i just wish i flew it more, perhaps next time !

Link for registration - http://www.mcw.gov.cy/mcw/dca/dc ... 2657CC?OpenDocument
2017-8-20
Use props
delboy1
New

Cyprus

Cyprus drone rules for those interested.Cyprus Drone Rules
2017-11-27
Use props
Crazyant
lvl.3
Flight distance : 852392 ft
Switzerland

I am from Cyprus and I can tell you that u  dont need license to fly for recreation in urban areas. Yes there are restrictions and you can read those online. Also one thing to have in mind is that as long as you behave ok with your drone, you will usually not get into any trouble
2018-1-28
Use props
Quade
lvl.3
Flight distance : 322871 ft
Canada

I found this in their docs:

According to this Decision, unmanned aerial aircraft with a total take
-
off mass
of up to 25 kilogrammes, are exempt from
obligatory
registration as per the Third
Chapter of the Civil
Aviation Act 2002 (as
amended).
2018-7-11
Use props
Gallacherboy
lvl.2

I have taken my drone with no hassle, in the big mall in Nicosia there is a electronics store that sell DJI drones. I have filmed in Nicosia but away from the buffer zone, make sure not to fly near the border between the Turkish and Cypriot border.
2018-8-3
Use props
djiuser_z4ol6EL7CDIP
New

Comments from person living in Cyprus were really helpful. Can I take that I don't need to fill in a form and wait 10 to get permission?  I fly out tomorrow.  I always follow the rules and regs re people and buildings any how and will be filming our sanctury for rescued dogs out  in the hills well out of the way although I would like to film some costal view as well. Thanks very much for your help. Eddy
2018-10-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

delboy1 Posted at 2017-11-27 07:20
Cyprus drone rules for those interested.Cyprus Drone Rules

Thanks for the link - I went to Cyprus in May earlier this year (beautiful) and wish I took my drone. I sure will on my return.
2018-10-16
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

There's a place called Cyprus Beach in California that has liberal drone laws
2018-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now