Autonomous flights with tracking for car at track?
964 10 2017-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lance10
New
United States

I will be going to a 1.6 mile racetrack and will not have the luxury of someone operating the drone. Is it possible to use this to catch good videos autonomously?

The simple (and kind of boring) option would be to have it hover about 20 feet and catch a corner but the track has multiple good curves.

Has anyone tried the new path mode along with tracking a car?  If the unit only has to go 500 meters around the middle it could keep my car centered in the camera...

Thoughts to those experienced types?
2017-5-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Speed will be the problem, automatic flights will only go at around 22kph, active track won't work at speed, first turn you take at speed it will loose you. Get an Osmo and car kit put it on the car in front of you that will do the job..
2017-5-8
Use props
Lance10
New
United States

Currently have a mount for the phone with laptimer.

The track is small in size, circular in nature with many curves. I was thinking of perhaps a flight path covering only about half the car track at different flights and use tracking. I'm curious if the car gets out of range, will it not regain it's tracking to the car?

Another option perhaps is a smaller path around some areas and using regular video without tracking?

2017-5-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Lance10 Posted at 2017-5-8 10:39
Currently have a mount for the phone with laptimer.

The track is small in size, circular in nature with many curves. I was thinking of perhaps a flight path covering only about half the car track at different flights and use tracking. I'm curious if the car gets out of range, will it not regain it's tracking to the car?

You could try litchi mission over and so on, but you would have to drive into the cameras path rather than it following you, I don't think AT will be able to pick you up if lost..
2017-5-8
Use props
Lance10
New
United States

Thanks so much Hallmark. I had a feeling it wouldn't regain tracking once it's lost. The good news is that the race track is so small, there are only brief periods where the car breaks 90mph.

I attached a screenshot of a typical lap
Screenshot_20170423-191452.png
2017-5-8
Use props
Lance10
New
United States

I just looked up litchi you referred to. It looks quite promising. I will purchase and try this weekend.
2017-5-8
Use props
Tempostudio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1598878 ft
  • >>>
Ukraine

2017-5-8
Use props
Tempostudio
Second Officer
  • >>>
Ukraine

2017-5-8
Use props
Lance10
New
United States

Wow tempostudio, both videos look fantastic. Kudos.

How fast was the car driving?
2017-5-9
Use props
Tempostudio
Second Officer
  • >>>
Ukraine

Lance10 Posted at 2017-5-9 02:53
Wow tempostudio, both videos look fantastic. Kudos.

How fast was the car driving?

The last video is 60-70 km/h
fm.jpg
2017-5-9
Use props
Lance10
New
United States

Was this automatically set?

I like your idea of flying high enough to catch a large area without having the drone try to keep up.
2017-5-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules