drone crashes and cyclist crash
1427 17 2017-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

A dumbass crashing his drone (looks like a phantom) which makes a cyclist fall during a race.

Do i hear a call for new drone laws? aaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!

2017-5-9
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Fortunately the cyclist was not seriously injured.
2017-5-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

He looked like he was clear, and jammed on the brakes, lucky that drone didn't land in the bunch or they're may have been a serious pile up. Crazy stuff. Probably on the forum here blaming dji for fly away.
2017-5-9
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-9 09:12
He looked like he was clear, and jammed on the brakes, lucky that drone didn't land in the bunch or they're may have been a serious pile up. Crazy stuff. Probably on the forum here blaming dji for fly away.
Probably on the forum here blaming dji for fly away.

The original article says that he came forward and offered to pay for any damage. Apparently that's him that appears briefly on the left side of the road at around 0:26.
2017-5-9
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

He jammed on his front brake causing him to do what is call an "End Over"
He went down pretty hard -- Bet he got some Road Rash from it too
2017-5-9
Use props
Masemoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5137425 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks like the drone got caught up in the trees bringing it down into the road, then ultimately into the spokes of the bike. As long as the pilot was flying over the trees and not the cyclists no real law/rule was being broken. Just an accident in the end that could happen to anyone.
Also a Phantom and not a Mavic so in the wrong forum
2017-5-9
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

Masemoto Posted at 2017-5-9 09:19
Looks like the drone got caught up in the trees bringing it down into the road, then ultimately into the spokes of the bike. As long as the pilot was flying over the trees and not the cyclists no real law/rule was being broken. Just an accident in the end that could happen to anyone.

A Phantom,...i know.
But when posting in the Phantom group i had to choose between a Phantom 4 Pro, Phantom 4 Advanced,
Phantom 4, Phantom 3 Pro/Adv, Phantom 3 Std or Phantom 2.

And well the clip doesn't show which one it is.
So i guessed it's a Mavic and here we have a group "Discussion" :-)
2017-5-9
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Mcflying Posted at 2017-5-9 09:25
A Phantom,...i know.
But when posting in the Phantom group i had to choose between a Phantom 4 Pro, Phantom 4 Advanced,

I couldn't even be certain from the video that it's a Phantom, but it clearly is white and is obviously not a Mavic. But in any case, no harm done posting here -- it could just as easily have been one.
2017-5-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-9 09:16
Probably on the forum here blaming dji for fly away.

The original article says that he came forward and offered to pay for any damage. Apparently that's him that appears briefly on the left side of the road at around 0:26.

Well spotted, he was taking big risk being so close, but I like the fact that he took responsibility, and looks like not to much damage done, except the drone..
2017-5-9
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-9 09:32
Well spotted, he was taking big risk being so close, but I like the fact that he took responsibility, and looks like not to much damage done, except the drone..

I totally agree; he made some bad choices that I hope I wouldn't have and he got lucky that the bicyclist wasn't seriously injured. Hopefully he and other pilots will learn from this.
2017-5-9
Use props
Masemoto
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mcflying Posted at 2017-5-9 09:25
A Phantom,...i know.

Understand, no worries. I don't really care where it's posted.

From the shape of the battery it's definitely a Phantom 3 and I would guess the Standard model (looks like darker stripes on the arms).

All part of the fun in analyzing the video and what happened. That guy wasn't going to win the race anyway. Hahaha
2017-5-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Masemoto Posted at 2017-5-9 09:19

There are also rules about flying in urban areas, my guess is he was trying to film the race going by, as droneflying pointed out he can be seen at 26 seconds standing at the side of the road with remote in , lucky no one was to badly injured.
2017-5-9
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-9 09:37
There are also rules about flying in urban areas, my guess is he was trying to film the race going by, as droneflying pointed out he can be seen at 26 seconds standing at the side of the road with remote in , lucky no one was to badly injured.

A reasonable argument could be made that he ignored the FAA's mandate to "Never fly over stadiums or sports events", since this clearly was a sports event. But if I were that pilot I'd be much more worried about a lawsuit by the cyclist than any punishment the FAA might be inclined to mete out.
2017-5-9
Use props
Masemoto
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-9 09:37
A reasonable argument could be made that he ignored the FAA's mandate to "Never fly over stadiums or sports events", since this clearly was a sports event. But if I were that pilot I'd be much more worried about a lawsuit by the cyclist than any punishment the FAA might be inclined to mete out.

Maybe he was just out flying his Phantom and the "sports event" just happened to come to him.
2017-5-9
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Masemoto Posted at 2017-5-9 09:39
Maybe he was just out flying his Phantom and the "sports event" just happened to come to him.

Maybe he was just flying his Phantom and the "sports event" just happened to come to him.

Heh. I think you should be his lawyer, because that's by no means the most far-fetched defense I've heard of. "Your honor, my client was merely out lawfully flying his drone over an empty street when he was suddenly and unexpectedly overtaken by a bicycle race."
2017-5-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Don't think he's going to get into trouble, after all he did the right thing in the end, problem is these pictures go all over the world and it will be public perception that drones are trouble.
2017-5-9
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Good answer but, Nope it won't even fly with a Half Assss Prosecutor, simple response would be:

'Your honor: The entire road of the event was secured so no cars, pedestrian nor flying drone should be on that designated road' case closed guilty as charged, throw him in the dungeon and lose the key'...

but your Honor he is a nice guy and he is an so let him slide this time with just couple of these... {:4_177:}  {:4_177:}  {:4_177:}

2017-5-9
Use props
OhOhDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 526076 ft
United States

That is terrible! I hope the drone is ok.
2017-5-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules