Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Honesty in specs... and a math problem to solve..
1008 7 2017-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mobilcams
First Officer
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

I found this on the main page looking at the comparisons between the three drones that DJI wants people to buy. The list is by order left to right, Mavic, P4A, and the P4P..

I will just let the screen capture speak for itself.. I am wondering why the updated specs for the Mavic, and not the Phantoms? Maybe too much pressure from consumers upset that they never achieve the marked flight time?? Also the achieved flight distance with zero wind is interesting as well - 8 miles max distance.. Can someone tell me how they worked out the math on this?? How fast for how long to get 8 miles??

Just something to chew on haha..
Capture.JPG
2017-5-9
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

"Can someone tell me how they worked out the math on this?? How fast for how long to get 8 miles?? "

I don't expect you can work it out, you have to experiment to find the best.
Not sure how you experiment in zero wind though!

Note that max flight time is at 25kph, at that speed you get an extra 3 minutes when compared to hovering. That would give you a distance of 11.25Km (7 miles). Presumably you can go a little faster than that without loosing much flight time, so maximum flight distance is going to be at almost 30kph (19mph) (8/7*25) for 26 minutes (zero wind).
2017-5-9
Use props
Upthedowns
lvl.4
Flight distance : 288353 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Or you could take off 7 miles away from where you're standing and dawdle for a mile.  Irrelevant given the need to retain LOS.
2017-5-9
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
United Kingdom

Upthedowns Posted at 2017-5-9 13:02
Or you could take off 7 miles away from where you're standing and dawdle for a mile.  Irrelevant given the need to retain LOS.

You can only succeed if you fly in a straight line since you will loose lift with any sort of curved flight and that will reduce flight time.

So you will have to find somewhere were LOS rules don't apply, or alternatively go up to the geographical north pole, stand on the pole and watch your aircraft fly around the world 80 times while staying in sight and completing the 8 miles on a single charge.
2017-5-9
Use props
samuraiz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202585 ft
United States

Well it says that Max Flight Time is 27mins at 15.5MPH however if does not say at what speed is needed to achieve  8 miles  before auto landing with critical battery.    S mode is 45 MPH  Continuous Sport Mode  would be  around 10.66 Minutes For 8 miles  So..... it's possible to traverse 8 miles using a Speed between P (15.68 minutes) and S (10.66) minutes.       Now do they mean Max Flight Distance is the Range of the Radio?  If so this discourse is moot since they do not imply that the Bird would make it back,
2017-5-9
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
United Kingdom

samuraiz Posted at 2017-5-9 13:27
Well it says that Max Flight Time is 27mins at 15.5MPH however if does not say at what speed is needed to achieve  8 miles  before auto landing with critical battery.    S mode is 45 MPH  Continuous Sport Mode  would be  around 10.66 Minutes For 8 miles  So..... it's possible to traverse 8 miles using a Speed between P (15.68 minutes) and S (10.66) minutes.       Now do they mean Max Flight Distance is the Range of the Radio?  If so this discourse is moot since they do not imply that the Bird would make it back,

Sport mode is only 40 MPH on the Mavic, not 45.

My suggestion of flying around the world solves both your problems of radio range and having to change direction to return thus wasting a lot of energy to decelerate and re-accelerate.
2017-5-9
Use props
betonven
lvl.3
United States

Well if you want to talk about honesty in specs... let's start discussing about the 5 directions obstacle avoidance of the P4P... which as stated you assume it's always there, while in fact it only works in the absolutely  useless beginner's mode and in the case-specific useful tripod mode...
2017-5-9
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"Also the achieved flight distance with zero wind is interesting as well - 8 miles max distance.. Can someone tell me how they worked out the math on this?? How fast for how long to get 8 miles??"

That's no great mystery.
They've simply stated how far the Mavic can travel on one battery at the optimum speed for distance.
A little experimenting and you can work out what that is for the Mavic.
2017-5-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules