22248 66 2017-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
swoopcam
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1322733 ft
Australia

Hello,

I recently upgraded from a Phantom 4 to a P4Pro. Nice drone but I am experiencing some difficulties with playing the videos shot on the P4P. No matter whether it's a 4k or a HD file, I now always get the message ERROR 2002 - BAD PUBLIC MOVIE ATOM FOUND IN THE MOVIE.

I have seen in other forums, that this seems to be a common problem with the P4P, but haven't found any solution, yet.

VLC player seems to deal with it, but neither Quicktime Player nor my editing Software AVID Media Composer can handle the video files. This is especially annoying, because I have some clients, that usually get the video files straight from the SD card and I am worried they will experience the same problems.

By the way: The files from my 'old' P4 work perfectly fine.

Does anyone have the same problem and/or maybe a solution?

Thanks

2017-5-9
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Could you please upload an original video directly from SD card to Dropbox?
Then post a screenshot for the error message, thanks.
2017-5-9
Use props
swoopcam
lvl.1
Australia

Hello Natalia,
I sent you a personal message with the requested files.

Thanks for looking into it.
2017-5-10
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

swoopcam Posted at 2017-5-10 15:34
Hello Natalia,
I sent you a personal message with the requested files.

Thank you, I received your message, and reported it to the engineers, will get back to you once we figure it out.
2017-5-10
Use props
Edson
New
Flight distance : 229154 ft
United States

I'm having the same issue with my P4P.  I have never encountered this error in my 12-years of dealing with video files.  DJI, please advise with a solution.
2017-6-1
Use props
Robert van Brug
New
Netherlands

Edson Posted at 2017-6-1 16:38
I'm having the same issue with my P4P.  I have never encountered this error in my 12-years of dealing with video files.  DJI, please advise with a solution.

I have exactly the same issue with my DJI Osmo.
It seems related to the latest update of Windows 10. I downloaded a new codec pack and now I am at least able to view the files I recorded. However, Adobe Premiere Pro still gives a warning message so I cannot edit anything. Very annoying!
2017-6-4
Use props
fans3c33bbc7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1122461 ft
United States

I'm having the same issue. Is there a fix for this problem?
2017-6-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fans3c33bbc7 Posted at 2017-6-20 19:55
I'm having the same issue. Is there a fix for this problem?

Which product are you using? Is the SD card the original one from the package? And which program are you using to play the video?
Could you please upload an original video directly from SD card to Dropbox? And the screenshot of error message will be appreciated.
2017-6-20
Use props
fans3c33bbc7
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-6-20 20:05
Which product are you using? Is the SD card the original one from the package? And which program are you using to play the video?
Could you please upload an original video directly from SD card to Dropbox? And the screenshot of error message will be appreciated.

It is the Phantom 4 Pro with the micro SD card that came with it.  I have tried Windows Media player, quicktime & FLV-Media-Player that I had saw recommend on another Phantom forum.  Here is the original video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvhwax1k1vw66xx/DJI_0040.MOV?dl=0
2017-6-21
Use props
Rufe425
lvl.1
United States

Here is the screenshot of the error
image001.png
2017-6-21
Use props
Rufe425
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-6-20 20:05

Any luck on a solution?
2017-6-22
Use props
Rufe425
lvl.1
United States

Please help!
2017-6-22
Use props
ChrisRL
lvl.1
United States

Hi all

DJI, thanks for this. The MOV wrapper on the P4P video files is bad, not compatible with Win10.

There is a 3rd party standalone program called PAVTUBE video converter, from pavtube.com, that is not free but will re-wrap the video files into MP4 wrappers and permit the rest of the world to view them properly.

That's the workaround for now.

The clips will play on some platforms running VLC Media player, since that player is a little more tolerant of bad wrapping than other players. VLC is, of course, free.

HTH
All the best
Chris
2017-6-22
Use props
Rufe425
lvl.1
United States

ChrisRL Posted at 2017-6-22 18:08
Hi all

DJI, thanks for this. The MOV wrapper on the P4P video files is bad, not compatible with Win10.

I have tried handbrake and it works but the videos have really dark places throughout.
2017-6-22
Use props
swoopcam
lvl.1
Australia

SOLUTION!!!

Hi guys, just found a VERY SIMPLE solution, that works for me with AVID Media Composer and WIN10. It's actually so simple, that it took me 2 months to even thinking about  trying it out for the first time.
OK here we go:
I recorded with the P4P in MOV and AVID wouldn't like the files because of teh error 2002. Just today I was so annoyed, that I just changed the endings from .MOV to .MP4 and suddenly the files played in my editing software. (As I said, I am on a Windows10 machine, don't know if thios way works with Mac, too.)
2017-6-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Please try the method provided by Swoopcam, I have feedback this issue to our engineer , I will keep you updated once I hear from them, appreciate your patience.
2017-6-22
Use props
Rufe425
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-6-22 23:45
Please try the method provided by Swoopcam, I have feedback this issue to our engineer , I will keep you updated once I hear from them, appreciate your patience.

I just tried this and it worked on most of the videos but still have some that it did not.  Thank you for the help Swoopcam.  I will wait for further info from you Mindy.
2017-6-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Rufe425 Posted at 2017-6-23 07:50
I just tried this and it worked on most of the videos but still have some that it did not.  Thank you for the help Swoopcam.  I will wait for further info from you Mindy.

Our engineer has checked the footage you sent to us, it is played normally in our PC. It seems that Quicktime hasn't been updated for a long time, we suggest to use other program, like KM Player, Milk player.
2017-6-26
Use props
fansf171231d
New
United States

Hi. I'm having the same problem in windows 7. "Error 2002 - bad public movie atom was found".
I changed the file extension to .mp4, and Quicktime will play the file now (although extremely jerkily and slowly). I also downloaded KM player and it will play the .mov files AND .mp4.
Is there a proper solution to this?
Is there a way of recording in mp4 initially? Renaming each file manually isn't sustainable.
My biggest concern is buying Adobe premiere pro and having the same issue, making editing an avoidably long problem.
Thanks
2017-6-27
Use props
fansf171231d
New
United States

From Phantompilots.com
I found this on phantompilots.com. If someone could translate into a good solution going forward I'd appreciate it.

"...So I just got rid of my phantom four and got the new pro, I recorded several clips in 4K at 60. When I tried to open the files it gives me an error "2002 A bad public movie atom was found in the movie" I was using the SD card that came with it did a little reading on the fourm and poeple were talking about A bad sd card, so I purchased sanDisk extreme plus class 10 and tried that, I keep getting the same thing, it will open in the VLC but the file is really corrupt badly, help"

I'm not 100% on my numbers and my bird is sleeping so I can't check, but are you recording in h.264 or h.265?
I recorded some 265 and didn't try to open em in FCPX, but did try on my Macbook Pro, and thaaaat's when I learned about Mac's incompatibilty with 265. So I assume FCPX might also have trouble.

I have recorded in 264 also an mac still wouldn't play. Talked to the good people an Aces Deals.Biz and Peter is sending me another p4p something is corrupting every file, even when I record in mp4, Windows media player wont play either

h264 in a mov container is working well on mac
mp4 is working on win

Generally, the top editors Final Cut Pro, Avid Media Composer and Premiere Pro is h.265 compatible, but apparently not with DJIs version. Avid, Premiere or FCP hardly can import DJI Phantom 4 Pro H.265 files. What's more, keep in mind that 4K H.265 footage requires a ridiculous amount of processing power if you want to edit it in its original format, unless you have a very high-end PC. A practical way to solve the issue is to convert 4K H.265 from Phantom 4 Pro to an edit-friendly format for FCP, Avid, Premiere Pro with a DJI Transcoding tool. Here Brorsoft Video Converter for Mac comes out to help you achieve the goal.

Premier Pro CC 2017 is compatible with H.265 from the Phantom imported as an .MP4. If you record as a .MOV just change the extension to .MP4.

Yep, H.265 does take up a lot of computing power and 4K playback in Premier Pro is "stuttery". To deal with this, allow Premier Pro to generate "proxies". Do your editing on the proxies. Then when ready to export, switch back to the full resolution. Works terrific..."
2017-6-27
Use props
fansf171231d
New
United States

Questions:
1. Is the new P4P corrupting files when recording?
2. What is h.264 and h265?
3. Is there a DJI Transcoding tool to compress files for easier editiing?
4. Can the P4P record in .MP4 ?
5. How do we edit proxies?
Thanks
2017-6-27
Use props
swoopcam
lvl.1
Australia

Hi DJI Miny - I am runningthe latest Quicktime version on my machine. The MOV files from my old P4 worked perfectly well, the ones from the P4P don't. SInce they work, when I change the ending to MP4 I assume it is something wrong with the codec used for MOV video files. Sorry, but I have no other explenation for it, since the high end editors AVID and Final Cut Pro seem to have problems with it..

Hi fansf -

1) I am tempted to say the MOV files are not standard ones and that's why they cause problems. So yes, sort of corrupted.
2) h264 and h265 are codecs used to write the video information of the camera to your sd card (for more detailed information try wikipedia)
3) no idea...
4) Yes, the P4P does MP4.
5) Try youtube, I am pretty sure there are tutorials dealing with proxies
2017-6-28
Use props
fansf171231d
New
United States

Thanks Swoopcam.
UPDATE - I bought a much faster U3 micro SDcard  to see if it was something to do with the card. No change. Quicktime (and possibly Premiere) cannot play the files but KM Player can. The culprit seems to be hoe DJI writes the files to the card and/or Quicktime not supporting DJI.
2017-6-30
Use props
fansf171231d
New
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-5-10 19:29
Thank you, I received your message, and reported it to the engineers, will get back to you once we figure it out.

Hi. Is there any way we can escalate this issue? It seems a lot of Phantom 4 Pro owners are unable to view their .MOV files in standard editing software (Quicktime and premiere cc). The problem seems to be a combination of how the Pro 4 writes files and how Quicktime hasn't been updated to read the new version. Is there anything DJI can do to fix the problem on your end? (rolling back to writing like a P4 perhaps?)
2017-6-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fansf171231d Posted at 2017-6-30 05:28
Hi. Is there any way we can escalate this issue? It seems a lot of Phantom 4 Pro owners are unable to view their .MOV files in standard editing software (Quicktime and premiere cc). The problem seems to be a combination of how the Pro 4 writes files and how Quicktime hasn't been updated to read the new version. Is there anything DJI can do to fix the problem on your end? (rolling back to writing like a P4 perhaps?)

We don't suggest to use Quicktime Player because it's been a long time since last update, there may be some  compatibility issue, I do have escalated your concern to our engineer, the video post 9# has been checked by engineer and it is played normally, so we suggest to use KMplayer and Milkplayer.
2017-7-1
Use props
swoopcam
lvl.1
Australia

Hi Mindy,
This is not really a solution. If major edting Softwares struggle to deal with the files the P4P generates, it is not just a Quicktime issue. It is an issue with the way the files are generated.
If I stop using QT, I still can't use the files in AVID Mediacomposer. Obviously the MOV files from the Phantom 4 were ok, since I had no problems to work with them. I am using the P4P commercially and having to rename the files works for now, but is not very satisfying. Of course I could transcode them and fix them by doing that, but it is a matter of time.

With so many users on different systems having the same issue I think it is very obvious where the problem lies and it is not Quicktime.  
2017-7-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

swoopcam Posted at 2017-7-2 15:16
Hi Mindy,
This is not really a solution. If major edting Softwares struggle to deal with the files the P4P generates, it is not just a Quicktime issue. It is an issue with the way the files are generated.
If I stop using QT, I still can't use the files in AVID Mediacomposer. Obviously the MOV files from the Phantom 4 were ok, since I had no problems to work with them. I am using the P4P commercially and having to rename the files works for now, but is not very satisfying. Of course I could transcode them and fix them by doing that, but it is a matter of time.

Copy that, I have forwarded this concern to our engineer again, we will keep you updated.
2017-7-3
Use props
ChrisRL
lvl.1
United States

Mindy, hello and Happy 4th!
Chris here, pro editor. I mean that I've worked on over 70 imdb-recognied feature films, TV shows, etc., and have two Emmy certs on my wall that say I know what I'm talking about.
Yes, if you play your clips with VLC player as I've mentioned, they will play because VLC is more lax towards mov/mp4 wrapping.
This is not a Win 7,8,10 issue, and maybe it is a Quicktime issue.
However, Avid, Premiere and many other NLE's that work well on WIn 7.8.10, Mac OSX all will have this problem because they all function to some extend based on Quicktime or a variant thereof to display their videos.
I just tried to intercut drone footage on a job that was shot on an I1/X3 and a P4P using Avid, FCP, Premiere Pro CC17, Lightwave, and BMC edit/Resolve. I think that between those and Lightworks, there aren't any more modern pro level video editing programs in common Hollywood use.
The footage plain wouldn't intecut - frames jumping, no render ability, all boiled back down to the 2002 issue.
Eventually I had to take every frame of the P4P acquired video, put it through Adobe Media Encoder, and re-encode into Lossless Animation (i.e. discrete frame-based codec) before it would play nice with all the other footage already in the Avid.
This didn't happen with the P4.
In fact, the P4P is the first instance I've had in P2V+, P3P, and P4 footage I've been editing lately. All of it plays on VLC, all of it cuts together - except for the P4P footage, and I'd hazard a guess, probably the upcoming P4A footage as well.

So this isn't just some glitch here, it's an encoding error written into the firmware.

Could you kindly forward that information to your engineer, and see what he can come up with? This problem doesn't exist on the P4, I1, I1Pro, or the Mavic Pro. I have footage from all of those, no problems.

Best
Chris

2017-7-4
Use props
DJI_camera
lvl.2

Hong Kong

HI swoopcam,

Have read all the info you have sent. I would explain the reason.
1. Just as what you said, the P4P MOV can't be played perfectly in the windows, because we have added the embeded subtitle and meta track in the MOV, but the Quicktime in the windows is too old to support this, So it will show the Error 2002. But in the IOS, the Quicktime 10.4.855 can support it rightly. But this rule is just useful of the H264 encode.
2. Unfortunately, the Quicktime can't support HEVC(H265) encoder until now, whether in the windows or in the IOS. About the reason, maybe you need check it with Apple.
3. Now, we suggest the customer to use the Elmedia player or VLC in the IOS, at the same time, you can use the VLC/KMplayer/Potplayer etc in the Windows.

Hope these info can resolve you  doubt, thanks for your support of our products.
2017-7-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Post from 29# is from our R&D engineer, hope he made it clear to you all.
2017-7-7
Use props
swoopcam
lvl.1
Australia

Hi Mindy, hi charlesetischer,

no, yopur answer doesn't help me at all because the H264 files don't play in my editing software either. I am usind AVID Mediacomposer a professional editing software which gives me the information WRONG FILEFORMAT when I load the h264 MOV files from the P4P into the programm's timeline.  As ChrisRL  28# wrote,, this also happens with other professional eding softwares.
So, my question is, why do all sorts of editors have to adapt to some exotic DJI codec that is not supported by all this STANDARD programms used in the TV and film industry? Why can DJI not just provide a codec that goes conform with industry standards?

I am not talking about video playing software, I am talking about post production in buisnesses of the TV and film industry. I simply can't edit the footage of the P4P straight out of the camera but have to go through different converting processes which take time and slow down the whole process of editing.
2017-7-10
Use props
fans0accb1ea
lvl.1
Flight distance : 277995 ft
United States

This is unacceptable! I'm having the same damn issue as much money as we are spending on your product  we have the rights to DEMAND THAT YOU FIX THIS PROBLEM NOW!
and stop pointing the finger at QuickTime it's the P4P Pro and everyone on here knows it
2017-7-14
Use props
Bass_WRFR
New

United States

Any update on this? New Phantom 4 Pro, I'm supposed to be the on figuring this out, videos look horrible.

They play choppy on the drone screen itself.

On Windows 7 machine, they won't play on Quicktime Player at all, I get Error -2002: a bad public movie atom was found in the movie.

Windows 7 - VLC Player: will play the .MOV file, but about half of the file (which is tiny, only 11 seconds) is scrambled and not viewable.

Windows 7 - rename file from .MOV to .MP4: Quicktime will play it, but it gets scrambled and quits about half way through, same spot that VLC starts to show scrambled video.

Ain't now way this is an issue with all the different players etc., and we haven't even gotten into video editors (which apparently none can handle this corrupted file format).

This needs to be a fix, please explain to us when and how to fix this problem with the actual file format generated by the drone.
2017-8-15
Use props
fansf17b460a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 492799 ft
United States

I was able to rename the extension to MP4 and then Adobe media encoder recognized they are HEVC (H.265) format. I chose to record in H.265 because it is a better codec than H.264. It appears this means I have to re-encode the video to start working with the format. I am converting to UHD with DNxHR matching the frame rate I recorded in. So long story short rename the extension to .MP4 and use Adobe encoder to re-encode the files properly. Very happy this can be batched.

DJI please fix this encoding bug and do better testing before releasing updates or you will lose customers. We are not all hobbisty, I am a professional and if your drone stops me from being able to do my work then I will choose another drone company.
2017-8-18
Use props
djiuser_x4sqnRE
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I bought my Phantom 4 Pro+ a week ago and have been getting on great. I've done a few films and watched them on my TV. They look amazing. However, I just put the SD card into my computer and am getting the 2002 message. I'm using the latest Quicktime and Windows 7. I tried all my other programs and the only one with any success is Nero Kwik Media, but it's so bad as to be not worth watching.  I tried changing the extension to mp4, but that's not working either. Having paid out over £2,000, and bought a 128Gb micro SD for the best part of £100, I'm more than slightly annoyed. Has DJI come up with a solution yet?
2017-8-25
Use props
McQSean
New
United States

I am using Inspire 2 with x4s camera, same issues as described above. Any solution to this yet?
2017-9-14
Use props
djiuser_7hV0qWm
New
United States

Has there been a resolution to this error?  I am also getting the error on the P4P on Windows 7. When I use the VLC player as recommended, it only shows the first frame. The blue bar shows the movie is playing but I only get the first frame as a picture. Is there am update to this software problem?
2017-9-16
Use props
JChamberlain
New
United States

First flight with the P4P today and I come home to view my first footage and received this error... truly bad form DJI - please fix this and especially refer to post #28.
2017-9-17
Use props
SteveJayVA
lvl.1

United States

DJI Team: If I've missed the solution or other updates, please pardon me. THIS IS VITAL for Windows 10 Users. Essentially, the files created by the P4P are not readable in the edit systems that are used by 10s of thousands of people who, like myself, are video professionals. Incompatibility with these platforms is a MAJOR consideration people will make when buying DJI products.

With most of on this board merely seeking understanding & answers, harm to DJI's reputation, unfortunately, is taking place elsewhere. As you know, the internet is a bullhorn. That this issue would show up on Page-1 of Google search tells you how much it's being discussed.

Please do two things:  1) Pass on your advice for specific capture settings, if they exist, that will prevent this. 2) Answer this question: Yes/no: Are you actively working on the problem. If so, when will a fix be released?

In short, all I've read is your recommendations for 3rd party software that can play the files. To me that shows, you don't get that playback isn't the issue. INGESTION into Avid, Quicktime Pro, Adobe Create Suite and Premiere Pro is.  Your response will show everyone, on this board and elsewhere, that DJI is responsive to the major flaw.

With respect,  StejayVA
2017-10-2
Use props
djiuser_WA1vvHW
lvl.1
United States

This is completely unacceptable. Selling this with this known problem and then blaming it on other software is criminal.  I am about to return this drone if it is not quickly resolved, by the engineer.  Really bad engineering.
2017-10-14
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules