Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Propeller Guards fall short
685 13 2017-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dennis D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143468 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just received and installed the propeller guards for my P4P and I'm disappointed. The only protection they provide are side collisions and provide nothing for forward / reverse. The blades extend beyond the guards for forward and reverse so hitting an object while in that mode will provide no protection. I guess if I was flying down a long narrow hallway then it would be smart to have these on, but I don't plan on doing that anytime soon.
2017-5-10
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Are they DJI guards?

Could you provide a photo?>  
2017-5-10
Use props
Antonio76
Captain
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

They must be the new type. the older type (designed for the P4) totally disabled the obstacle avoiding sensors (I suppose because of their size they interacted and would give false readings). These do not, so a protection in the front and rear is not considered necessary, while the side infrared sensors are active only in beginner and tripod modes, so for normal flights the side protection is more useful.
large_b4d03c0a-6fbb-437c-94dc-41fa53b4a6fb.jpg
2017-5-10
Use props
TheMann58
Captain
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dennis,

This is very interesting. I have not purchased the prop guards, but it sounds like DJI has recently redesigned them. The original prop guards for the P4 and P4Pro did what you were assuming they would do - completely protect the the entire propeller from contacting walls, people, etc. from the front and rear as well as from the left and right sides of the aircraft.  You can find reviews of these DJI prop guards on YouTube. However, the  ORIGINAL prop guards were detected as an obstacle by the front and rear obstacle detection cameras and obstacle detection had to be turned OFF to use them.

Based on appearance of the new prop guards and your report that they no longer extend forward or rearward to cover full prop length, it would appear that DJI has redesigned them to protect the props from impacting obstacles to the left and right of the aircraft while enabling you to turn ON obstacle detection, which will stop the aircraft from impacting obstacles in the front or rear of your P4Pro. You get the best of both worlds.
You can no doubt still find the old prop guard design available on eBay, etc. if you would like them, instead.
2017-5-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I prefer new ones I still have OA front and back. So don't need those big awkward ones.
2017-5-10
Use props
fester
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77408 ft
United States

I have these as well and noticed this very quickly as my main reason for installing them was for prop protection in a accidental tip over.   With these, its a 50/50 chance but I also have a set of the Neewer gear extensions which increase the landing gear stance considerably. I do think that these present less surface area to the air then the original DJI ones. Flight weight for these is a total of 48 grams, I'm not sure what the flight weight of the originals were.
2017-5-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

If you could provide a picture, it would be appreciated.
2017-5-10
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Captain
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does this new style not have the holes/slots in it for the "tension" string that can be added to fill in the gaps?
2017-5-10
Use props
fester
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-10 09:16
If you could provide a picture, it would be appreciated.

Here's an "inflight " picture, don't know if its very visible but the new guards snap into the spaces left by removing the transparent plastic inserts  at the end of the motor arms. They seem to be also made of a polycarbonate plastic like the Phantom hull.
IMG_0170.jpg
2017-5-10
Use props
TJH
lvl.3
Flight distance : 50830 ft
United States

I have the same DJI guards, but here's a idea. If you flip two of them (for me the back two), then you could in affect use the obstacle detection for the front and have the rear guards extended.
20170510-1.jpg
2017-5-10
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

TJH Posted at 2017-5-10 13:00
I have the same DJI guards, but here's a idea. If you flip two of them (for me the back two), then you could in affect use the obstacle detection for the front and have the rear guards extended.

Necessity is the MOTHER of all inventions... Good catch!
2017-5-10
Use props
fester
lvl.4
United States

TJH Posted at 2017-5-10 13:00

You have done well, Young Jedi How is the flight balance with that configuration?
2017-5-10
Use props
Dennis D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143468 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would prefer to have guards that provide protection in all directions.
2017-5-10
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Use the Force....!
2017-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules