Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-5-23 03:38
You trimming trees again with your props

Aloha Rodger,

Actually that is funnier than you think!  In the video of that mission, there is a shot of a Hale Conia leaf with unmistakable drone blade damage.  Just a bunch of 1 inch slices at a regular interval on the outward-most tip of the giant leaf.  (I think it was made by a friend who flies in the same area.)  There are very few things that make that kind of damage.

One time, he lost an 18 inch diameter (with blades) quadcopter deep in the Hale Conia and I flew my P3P over the crash site.  I did not find the quad but I did see the damage and he found the quad buried in the bush right under the damage.

Good to hear from you again!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-5-23
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-5-23 16:10
Aloha Rodger,

Actually that is funnier than you think!  In the video of that mission, there is a shot of a Hale Conia leaf with unmistakable drone blade damage.  Just a bunch of 1 inch slices at a regular interval on the outward-most tip of the giant leaf.  (I think it was made by a friend who flies in the same area.)  There are very few things that make that kind of damage.

I remember when you had a mishap and did some tree trimming
2017-5-24
Use props
14jnewmy14
lvl.3
Flight distance : 452835 ft
United States

Very cool video, I really like the angles an the slow and close flying. Great coloring as well, very natural. A lot of times people will take a scene and bump up exposure or really brighten in post, but thats not natural, sometimes things are dark and you captured that very well. I like videos like this. I'm working on one right now of a old brewery where I live, and I'm using some of the same techniques. Nicely done.
2017-5-24
Use props
Austevik Dronef
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1035125 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Raw Visionz Posted at 2017-5-22 23:47
Thanks for sharing this. Now I feel more confident flying mine in close spaces

No problem, you should go for it, its fun and exciting!
2017-5-24
Use props
Austevik Dronef
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Yogi123 Posted at 2017-5-23 09:43
Gorgeous. Emotive. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you! np
2017-5-24
Use props
Austevik Dronef
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Thanks alot!
2017-5-24
Use props
Austevik Dronef
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

14jnewmy14 Posted at 2017-5-24 06:43
Very cool video, I really like the angles an the slow and close flying. Great coloring as well, very natural. A lot of times people will take a scene and bump up exposure or really brighten in post, but thats not natural, sometimes things are dark and you captured that very well. I like videos like this. I'm working on one right now of a old brewery where I live, and I'm using some of the same techniques. Nicely done.

Thanks alot 14jnewmy14. I also try to aim for the natural in colors as much as possible. You must share your video when your done with it!
2017-5-24
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

See, I knew it's doable! Great job, I like the pastel tone and relaxing mood. Guess now is my turn to come up with some low'n'slow footage. I've got some ideas and places to explore, but these are 1000 km away. That's the plan for this summer ...
2017-5-24
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-5-24 03:11
I remember when you had a mishap and did some tree trimming

Aloha Rodger,

That would be the Avocado Tree (BTW it provides small seeds and is as big, or bigger, than a grapefruit).  It flipped over and landed up-side-down.  Yes, it ultimately required a new skin for my P3P.  great experience though!  The P4 Pro is in a whole new ball park though.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-5-24
Use props
Austevik Dronef
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-5-24 14:14
See, I knew it's doable! Great job, I like the pastel tone and relaxing mood. Guess now is my turn to come up with some low'n'slow footage. I've got some ideas and places to explore, but these are 1000 km away. That's the plan for this summer ...

Sure its doable! Thanks alot, be sure to share your footage when after your summertrip.
2017-5-24
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-5-24 14:44
Aloha Rodger,

That would be the Avocado Tree (BTW it provides small seeds and is as big, or bigger, than a grapefruit).  It flipped over and landed up-side-down.  Yes, it ultimately required a new skin for my P3P.  great experience though!  The P4 Pro is in a whole new ball park though.

I agree and am really enjoying the P4P. I made a map with it the other day and it covered 16 Acres taking 179 photos in under 3 minutes.
2017-5-26
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-5-26 05:47
I agree and am really enjoying the P4P. I made a map with it the other day and it covered 16 Acres taking 179 photos in under 3 minutes.

Aloha Rodger,

Come on now, you cannot say that without details.  Spill the beans!  How you did that?  Did you use DJO GO 4, Litchi or Ground Station Pro?  I want to do that and would like suggestions.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-5-26
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-5-26 16:05
Aloha Rodger,

Come on now, you cannot say that without details.  Spill the beans!  How you did that?  Did you use DJO GO 4, Litchi or Ground Station Pro?  I want to do that and would like suggestions.

I used Drone Deploy. Works great. It was an open large field. I took it for a vegetation survey. You can see the areas that need attention. They applied the fertilizer and now that it has rained I will do it again next week and compare the maps which are 24"X24" to see how it is working out.
I am doing a Technical School construction site today.
2017-5-27
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-5-27 01:04
I used Drone Deploy. Works great. It was an open large field. I took it for a vegetation survey. You can see the areas that need attention. They applied the fertilizer and now that it has rained I will do it again next week and compare the maps which are 24"X24" to see how it is working out.
I am doing a Technical School construction site today.

Aloha Rodger,

How much does Drone Deploy cost?  Is it more like Litchi or DJI Ground Station Pro?  Will it work with Android?

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-5-27
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-5-27 02:24
Aloha Rodger,

How much does Drone Deploy cost?  Is it more like Litchi or DJI Ground Station Pro?  Will it work with Android?

Its pricy, depends on the plan that you want. It works on its own. Not associated with any other programs. I  think Android is a go.
2017-5-27
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-5-27 04:45
Its pricy, depends on the plan that you want. It works on its own. Not associated with any other programs. I  think Android is a go.

Aloha Rodger,

Mahalo for the information!  I will put it in my file.  Those programs are all you got until DJI upgrades Ground Station Pro for Androids.  I may still buy Litchi.  Hard to beat for their price.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-5-27
Use props
Lhonskie Aerial
lvl.4
Flight distance : 606608 ft
Thailand

Great shots!

I also made video but mine is more on pull out shots.

I also have version 2 which is sharing how i did it.
2017-5-28
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-5-27 13:55
Aloha Rodger,

Mahalo for the information!  I will put it in my file.  Those programs are all you got until DJI upgrades Ground Station Pro for Androids.  I may still buy Litchi.  Hard to beat for their price.

Can you make maps with ground station?
2017-5-28
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-5-28 06:07
Can you make maps with ground station?

Aloha Rodger,

It turns out that the Ground Station Pro can create the input for mapping software, not the mapping itself.  So, you would still need the Drone Deploy software to generate the map itself.  But from the information DJI provided, the flight path options are quite specific and precise.  I want to look more into this.  I like the 3D Scanning option that so much of this technology provides like the 3D POI.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-5-28
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Lhonskie Aerial Posted at 2017-5-28 01:06
Great shots!

I also made video but mine is more on pull out shots.https://youtu.be/sBhJ-2ve_oE

Aloha Lhonskie,

You got some serious skills and in my opinion you have every right to show them as you did with these two videos.  That is not bragging on your part, just fact!  I fly in some seriously cramped environments but you do it backwards and with the same sensors.  Are you using Tripod or just Beginner Mode?  Have you tried "Narrow Sensing" yet?

Obviously some of your skill results from good settings on the remote controller and we should definitely use such settings.  What EXP settings are you using?  Even Sport mode is manageable with good EXP settings.

Welcome to the Forum.  Hopefully you will share more of your talent with us.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-5-28
Use props
Lhonskie Aerial
lvl.4
Thailand

Cetacean Posted at 2017-5-28 20:14
Aloha Lhonskie,

You got some serious skills and in my opinion you have every right to show them as you did with these two videos.  That is not bragging on your part, just fact!  I fly in some seriously cramped environments but you do it backwards and with the same sensors.  Are you using Tripod or just Beginner Mode?  Have you tried "Narrow Sensing" yet?

Thank you, im flattered. The only settings i tweak was I disabled the obstacle avoidance. Sensing is still there though. No tweaks on any of the controls. Its all in default. No beginner mode. I flew line of sight except when it was outside going on high altitude. Focus and be patient. That's what i learned from this technique. Im new to this forum but i have my p4 since december last year.
2017-5-28
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Lhonskie Aerial Posted at 2017-5-28 20:44
Thank you, im flattered. The only settings i tweak was I disabled the obstacle avoidance. Sensing is still there though. No tweaks on any of the controls. Its all in default. No beginner mode. I flew line of sight except when it was outside going on high altitude. Focus and be patient. That's what i learned from this technique. Im new to this forum but i have my p4 since december last year.

Aloha Lhonskie,

Good skills.  I noticed that you have the antennae folded for storage and travel.  Are you flying with them in that position?  Does your technique also work with the antennae in the proper, vertical position?

Yes, focus and be patient, but there are settings that can also make more extreme efforts possible to achieve.  Look into them and see if they can help in your efforts.  If you have not done so already, you might want to get a commercial license so you can make money at your effort.  You have talent.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-5-29
Use props
Lhonskie Aerial
lvl.4
Thailand

Cetacean Posted at 2017-5-29 00:58
Aloha Lhonskie,

Good skills.  I noticed that you have the antennae folded for storage and travel.  Are you flying with them in that position?  Does your technique also work with the antennae in the proper, vertical position?

Thank you. Actually, i always position the antenna in vertical if im flying on beach. I just thought it will still comm even if its fold. Sometimes i get good signal in that position. Licensing is an issue here in Thailand. I wanted to get but i dont know how even locals here dont know also. Hopefully if i get back to philippines i could get one. I think you can also do that technique.
2017-5-29
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Lhonskie Aerial Posted at 2017-5-29 01:45
Thank you. Actually, i always position the antenna in vertical if im flying on beach. I just thought it will still comm even if its fold. Sometimes i get good signal in that position. Licensing is an issue here in Thailand. I wanted to get but i dont know how even locals here dont know also. Hopefully if i get back to philippines i could get one. I think you can also do that technique.

Aloha Lhonskie,

Oh, yes.  That is why I appreciate your skills so much.  As for certification, I can also understand your situation.  But, be sure to go for it when you have the opportunity.

I also plan to try the antennae in that position to see if it increases penetration in my jungle environment.  My flights are usually in mountains and jungle, often both.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-5-29
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-5-28 20:03
Aloha Rodger,

It turns out that the Ground Station Pro can create the input for mapping software, not the mapping itself.  So, you would still need the Drone Deploy software to generate the map itself.  But from the information DJI provided, the flight path options are quite specific and precise.  I want to look more into this.  I like the 3D Scanning option that so much of this technology provides like the 3D POI.

There is a problem(s) with Drone Deploy and the Go program so I don't know how it will react with the Ground Station program. I try everything for the first time at a site that is 20 acres flat and wide open, we can call it a field. No buildings, people, trees, etc. I use to go there when I first started flying and practice my ATTI flying as well. The first time I tried Drone Deploy that is where I went and a good thing. My P4P took off and headed for the wild blue yonder at full speed. When I realized what was happening I went into ATTI and brought it back. I am having other issues with Drone Deploy and I am not comfortable with it. I am going to try Maps Made Easy as soon as the weather clears. I like their pricing as well.
Stay tuned.
2017-5-29
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-5-28 20:03
Aloha Rodger,

Question? Are you going to do this commercially?
2017-5-29
Use props
Lhonskie Aerial
lvl.4
Thailand

Cetacean Posted at 2017-5-29 03:15
Aloha Lhonskie,

Oh, yes.  That is why I appreciate your skills so much.  As for certification, I can also understand your situation.  But, be sure to go for it when you have the opportunity.

I will get if i have a chance. Maybe try in an open wide area and check if its fine when antennae is folded. Thanks for appreciating.
2017-5-29
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-5-29 05:01
Question? Are you going to do this commercially?

Aloha Rodger,

Not yet.  I plan to eventually,but right now I am looking at the technology.  The drone mapping  and especially the POI mapping, noted for the Ground Station Pro, interface real well with Autodesk products.  I have been using Autodesk products for 30-35 years so that is real attractive, but I do not like iOS products.  So, I am conflicted.  But I help a friend who flies for an engineering company, so he needs the information more urgently than I do.  He recently got certificated.

Most of my time these days is involved with Neighborhood Board issues.  I live in a small agriculture district but our City & County Mayor is trying to push more development into our district and misrepresenting everything under the sun.  Even the City Council has been co-opted for the effort.  On top of all that we have serious stream and road issues (which is where the mapping comes into play) that need our attention.

Sounds like you have a nice testing grounds.  Those are really important.  Most of my testing now is in my back yard with the jungle and mountains, but the testing grounds are still available when needed.

Like I have said many times, I have never worked so hard as I have since I stopped working.  I do not want to retire; I was tired the first time!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-5-29
Use props
Range30
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11281079 ft
United States

Pretty awesome video! Great share
2017-5-29
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-5-29 17:45
Aloha Rodger,

Not yet.  I plan to eventually,but right now I am looking at the technology.  The drone mapping  and especially the POI mapping, noted for the Ground Station Pro, interface real well with Autodesk products.  I have been using Autodesk products for 30-35 years so that is real attractive, but I do not like iOS products.  So, I am conflicted.  But I help a friend who flies for an engineering company, so he needs the information more urgently than I do.  He recently got certificated.

Start studying, it is a bit of a challenge and I found it very interesting once I entered into it. You need the part 107 if there is gong to be any compensation in any way to anyone.

I would think that you would have the jungle pretty well thinned out by now

I was a PC person fo rimant years and got into IOS about 15 years ago and it is so much better. I will never go back. Funny thing, when I took my Part 107 exam it was on a PC, took me a good 5 minutes to figure it out.
2017-5-30
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-5-30 04:01
Start studying, it is a bit of a challenge and I found it very interesting once I entered into it. You need the part 107 if there is gong to be any compensation in any way to anyone.

I would think that you would have the jungle pretty well thinned out by now

Aloha Rodger,

Oddly enough, I was basically tutoring my friend when he was studying for his Part 107 exam, so I am always studying.  It is very interesting as you say.  In some cases it is like breaking a code!  Problem is I have no interest in getting compensation, it sound too much like a job!

Back in the early 90s, I was visiting the Oakland, California area and went to the Museum of Industry.  They were having an Autodesk 3D Studio demonstration on the top floor and I had been already building computers and was looking at that same modeling program.  There were 30-40 people crammed around a guy trying to figure out how to start the program and open a screen to start modeling.  They were obviously Apple/Macintosh users, so I told them to do a basic move for Windows and it worked.  Then a few minutes later I told him to do another move and the guy said, "Get that guy up here!"  So I showed them how to get the program going by just knowing how to operate Windows.  Today, I have to ask for help to do anything with iOS computers and devices!

All that jungle vegetation just keeps growing back!  Actually, I have to go and weed-wack around the landing pads up at the flats.  I tried landing once a while back and some Pili Grass got sucked down,  caught my rotor and flipped my P4.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-5-30
Use props
TBoyAZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31345 ft
  • >>>
United States

Love the Video and Music selection. Great job!
2017-5-30
Use props
fans6ccdf378
New
Flight distance : 63212 ft
United States

Awesome! I plan on doing some of the same kind of shots with my Mavic Pro.
2017-5-31
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-5-30 04:34
Aloha Rodger,

Oddly enough, I was basically tutoring my friend when he was studying for his Part 107 exam, so I am always studying.  It is very interesting as you say.  In some cases it is like breaking a code!  Problem is I have no interest in getting compensation, it sound too much like a job!

You have to land slow and trim the grass as you go down

I messed with Autocad a few times. A very powerful program.

I found it very interesting and beneficial. You must mean Metars and Tafs.
2017-5-31
Use props
Austevik Dronef
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

TBoyAZ Posted at 2017-5-30 14:39
Love the Video and Music selection. Great job!

Thank you!
2017-5-31
Use props
Austevik Dronef
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

fans6ccdf378 Posted at 2017-5-31 02:45
Awesome! I plan on doing some of the same kind of shots with my Mavic Pro.

Thanks! I recommend it, it gives every video a new dimension I feel. I just made a beach video, and added some low flying through the grass. Gives more depth
2017-5-31
Use props
FormatZ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 211371 ft
United Kingdom

Really Great video!! How did you shoot those scenes close to the ground? Did you hand held the p4p to shoot those parts? It is great
2017-5-31
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-5-31 04:28
You have to land slow and trim the grass as you go down

I messed with Autocad a few times. A very powerful program.

Aloha Rodger,

Are you talking code to me again!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-5-31
Use props
Austevik Dronef
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

FormatZ Posted at 2017-5-31 13:18
Really Great video!! How did you shoot those scenes close to the ground? Did you hand held the p4p to shoot those parts? It is great

Hi! No its not hand held. That is cheating hehe. It is in tripod mode, with narrow sensing assigned to the L1 button, to ovveride obstacle sensors when passing tight areas. Set it to hover instead ov RTH if you lose signal with the controller. And just pilot it slow and steady while having it in LOS.
Its fun, you should try it. Brings a new dimension to the drone videos.  Thanks alot!
2017-5-31
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-5-31 13:42
Aloha Rodger,

Are you talking code to me again!

Sure thing
2017-6-1