Remote Controller does NOT work properly!
3890 16 2017-5-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
randev
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2064 ft
United States

Hello there.

I'm in big trouble after I discovered that my remote controller for P3S does not work as it used to. Both left and right sticks do NOT corresponds to directions.

I think it's because I put it in a backpack and sticks bumped to other things. I carried it in my backpack since I'm on travel for a month, and when I pulled it out, to my dismay it's not working, anymore.

Calibrating the controller did not fix the problem. I also tried IMU and compass, just in case. Did not work.

See the video below. Sorry if screen is out of focus. I'll upload another if needed. Please share your expertise if how can I fix this.
I'm new to this hobby.

2017-5-11
Use props
Michgolden
Second Officer
Flight distance : 822851 ft
United States

i would check to see what controller mode you are in. There are 3 preset modes and 1 custom mode you can select from in the app. Open the app and select the camera view. Next select the 3 little dots in the upper right corner. Then select the remote controller icon. You will then select the "Stick Mode". there you can change what the sticks do on the controller. Also I connect to my controller (not the aircraft) when I do this because I've had it revert back after closing the app if don't have the controller on.
2017-5-11
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Have you tried forgetting the WiFi signal, then reconnecting to it on your mobile device to make sure that the connection to the Go app was solid in order to calibrate properly? If everything is up to date and the issue persists, then you may want to send the RC into DJI for service.
2017-5-11
Use props
Michgolden
Second Officer
United States

Yeah after watching your video more closely (I was at work earlier) I would try and delete the app and reinstall it, just make sure to sync your flight logs first.
2017-5-11
Use props
randev
lvl.1
Philippines

Michgolden Posted at 2017-5-11 09:43
i would check to see what controller mode you are in. There are 3 preset modes and 1 custom mode you can select from in the app. Open the app and select the camera view. Next select the 3 little dots in the upper right corner. Then select the remote controller icon. You will then select the "Stick Mode". there you can change what the sticks do on the controller. Also I connect to my controller (not the aircraft) when I do this because I've had it revert back after closing the app if don't have the controller on.

the stick mode is in default, no.2. do i need to change it to other modes?
2017-5-11
Use props
randev
lvl.1
Philippines

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-11 15:49
Have you tried forgetting the WiFi signal, then reconnecting to it on your mobile device to make sure that the connection to the Go app was solid in order to calibrate properly? If everything is up to date and the issue persists, then you may want to send the RC into DJI for service.

i haven't tried that yet. i will, later. thanks for suggesting.

sticks perform erratically as if damage is more on hardware, don't you think? however, the sticks are not broken, nothing weird feeling in moving, like they're loose, etc.
2017-5-11
Use props
randev
lvl.1
Philippines

Michgolden Posted at 2017-5-11 17:59
Yeah after watching your video more closely (I was at work earlier) I would try and delete the app and reinstall it, just make sure to sync your flight logs first.

I tried clearing data of DJI GO app which is same as reinstalling it, to start anew, but still issue persists.

example in a right stick, a little forward movement of stick like 5%-20% activates backward movement up to 100%, with drastic acceleration. but a full forward movement of 20%-100% activates full forward up to 100% also. the backward stick does not work.

the same is true with other directions. example in left stick, a little upwards gives full downwards, while full upwards gives full upwards, like it's working again. downward does not work.

it confuses me a lot.

2017-5-11
Use props
WD9EON
Second Officer
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

randev Posted at 2017-5-11 22:36
I tried clearing data of DJI GO app which is same as reinstalling it, to start anew, but still issue persists.

example in a right stick, a little forward movement of stick like 5%-20% activates backward movement up to 100%, with drastic acceleration. but a full forward movement of 20%-100% activates full forward up to 100% also. the backward stick does not work.

By looking at your video, it appears you have internal damage to the RC.  Not much you can do at this point.  If it were mine, I'd see about sending it in for repair or buy one off Ebay or Amazon to replace it.
Good luck.
2017-5-12
Use props
randev
lvl.1
Singapore

WD9EON Posted at 2017-5-12 02:08
By looking at your video, it appears you have internal damage to the RC.  Not much you can do at this point.  If it were mine, I'd see about sending it in for repair or buy one off Ebay or Amazon to replace it.
Good luck.

hmm, that's sad to know. I regret about not taking extra care for the RC. I came to this beautiful city here in Philippines just to make wonderful videos of my travel with the drone. Now, I feel really sorry it can't be fixed right away.

Is this controller almost the same as with other RC toys/ TVs/ cellphones ? Maybe I can have it repaired by an electrician.
2017-5-12
Use props
WD9EON
Second Officer
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

randev Posted at 2017-5-12 05:10
hmm, that's sad to know. I regret about not taking extra care for the RC. I came to this beautiful city here in Philippines just to make wonderful videos of my travel with the drone. Now, I feel really sorry it can't be fixed right away.

Is this controller almost the same as with other RC toys/ TVs/ cellphones ? Maybe I can have it repaired by an electrician.

If it were me, I would take the screws out of the back and carefully separate the two halves.  Then look while working the levers to see if any thing may have slipped out of place.  You may be able to reposition the parts to where they will work again.   I suspect the piece that operates those controls has slipped out of place and may be just a simple fix.  What have you got to lose at this point?  You can buy a new controller from Amazon or Ebay when you get back home if you can't fix it.  They are fairly cheap after someone looses their drone.
2017-5-12
Use props
randev
lvl.1
Singapore

something magical happened. it worked again!
all i did was keep calibrating the remote controller. at first, it won't work. what i've done is move the stick too slow  back and forth until it registers the correct percentages. it was really tricky, because if you move the stick fast enough, it goes back to wrong percentages and direction.

i will try tomorrow morning, if drone will work also.

thank you all for the suggestions and overall support.
2017-5-12
Use props
Michgolden
Second Officer
United States

Great! Glad to hear it's working, and hope it continues to work for you!
2017-5-12
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

randev Posted at 2017-5-12 05:48
all i did was keep calibrating the remote controller. at first, it won't work. what i've done is move the stick too slow  back and forth until it registers the correct percentages. it was really tricky, because if you move the stick fast enough, it goes back to wrong percentages and direction.

Good to hear it seems sorted, let us know if the issue persists.
2017-5-15
Use props
WayOutWoodPond
lvl.2
Flight distance : 62867 ft
United Kingdom

randev Posted at 2017-5-12 05:48

I'd be tempted to fly a few minutes in the sim before putting your AC in the air. make sure it performs perfectly in the sim first.
Edit - I realise now that my comment may have come too late. let us know how you got on!

2017-5-15
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

The usual damage from carrying in unsuitable pack and sticks bumping ... is that stocks gets PUSHED in and that unclips / cracks the gimbal mount ... the stick then is not controlling the pots properly and erratic control can result. It can 'appear' to fix itself but I would be wary of such until I took case apart and actually physically inspected the stick mountings and gear. Any knock / pressure on stick can start the whole thing of again ...

Nigel
2017-5-15
Use props
randev
lvl.1
Philippines

everything seems to be working fine now. problem solved, already! thank you all.
2017-5-21
Use props
albert1191
New
United States

This same thing just happened to me. randev was correct in that you must re-calibrate the controller. But first, the reason my controls went out of calibration was my own fault. I was messing around with the settings trying to make adjustments and I saw the calibration section for the controller, so figured why not, can't hurt right? My mistake was that I did not properly calibrate. I simply moved the sticks quickly in each direction once and hit ok. You must move each stick slowly to it's maximum travel point, back to neutral,  then in the same direction slowly and then back to neautral. You can watch the percentage roll up and down as you do this. If the percentage moves slowly with the movement of the stick you are doing it correctly, if the percentage jumps to 100 with little movement you are not. Once you get a good smooth sweep of the percentage in the correct direction go ahead hit OK. Remember if you happen to have a controller go crazy just hit the home key in the app and let the AC land itself. Anyway thought this might shed some light on the mystery. This post helped me figure it out, thanks randev.
2017-6-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules