Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OSMO Pro/Raw Wired Video Adapter Review# A review
2757 0 2017-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rob W
Captain
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Here is a review of the Osmo wired video adapter.

After applying for the test of the adapter, I got a reply just a few day after my mail, that I was accepted for the testing. A few days after that, the adapter was sent via Express and it just took about 3 days from China for it to arrive here in Sweden. The adapter came in a large and sturdy package, and the adapter itself is packaged in a small plastic bag, like all the other small DJI accessories.

Before using the adapter, a firmware updated for the camera is needed. In the mail I got from the beta team, links for the X5 and the X5R was provided. I have both cameras, but I did the testing on the X5. It is a normal firmware update done via the SD card.

Since all my Android devices was too large for the Osmo phone mount to fit, I took an unsued tablet mount from my P3 (I've replaced the mount with a sturdier Inspire 1 mount on the P3 RC). I simply removed the arm on the tablet mount, and attached it behind the Osmo mount with a strong doublesided adhesive tape. It is a quick solution that works really good! Just make sure if you try this, that you use a strong adhesive! After that, I mounted the Osmo wired video adapter on the side of the Osmo, using a short strip of the same strong, doublesided adhesive tape.

For the test I connected a Samsung Galaxy S, 8.4" tablet to the adapter, and started the Osmo and DJI Go App. It connected without problems, and the video showed up immediately on start. No more hassling arount with WiFi connections. So, all in all, it just works great and as advertised!

Summary and thoughts:
- Is the adapter worth buying?
- Yes! Although I never had any big issues with the WiFi connection, I find it quicker to just attach a USB cable. Also, no more issues with video transfer.

- But, is it not irritating with more cables?
- The adapter fits nicely on the side of the mount (see attached image). You can also buy a short USB cable that you connect to the tablet. Just see to it that the cable is not hindering the gimbal movement.

- But sometimes I want to use WiFi, like when...
- No problem, you can just disconnect the adapter cable.

- I wish it had a HDMI video out port.
- Well, it would have been nice, but I guess they left it out because the Osmo is supposed to be mobile. Even as it is with a single tablet, an X5/X5R, the mounts, a mic boom and a mic (it needs a boom due to the cameras fan noise), it gets a bit clumsy. Adding a thicker HDMI cable, and a monitor or recorder, it is difficult to use the Osmo during mobile shots, like walking around or running.

If you have an Osmo, and a X5 or X5R, I can recommend buying the adapter due to the increased reliability in video transfer. It is easy to setup, and it don't take up much space on the rig. Thank you DJI, for a great accessory and for letting me test it!

Best regards,

Adapter.jpg
2017-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules