Batt's wont charge after long term storage
8025 12 2017-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans93cb8d9b
lvl.3
Flight distance : 242247 ft
United States

Ive had 5 batteries in storage for about a year and a half. Thy are showing no green lights before or when I plug them into the charger. Ive tried the supplied charge as well as the smart charger, and nothing. The sixth battery had 1 green before charge and it fully charged.
Anyone have an issue with this?

2017-5-13
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Long time to leave them unchecked, what does the DJI app say when you get the one good(ish) plugged in? Do you have a multimeter you can test the voltage of these batteries? You may have to charge these cells individually which would mean opening up the battery "pack" and identifying each cell so as to charge each of them one at a time. Did you leave these batteries fully charged or did you physically discharge them to around 50% before you stored them?  Five batteries=quite a lot of cash, let's see if we can get these things working.

Mark G.
2017-5-13
Use props
Highasakite
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

If you feel comfortable with it,Try this technique http://www.pauljc.co.uk/2017/01/ ... ne-battery-revival/Safety First! Ken.
2017-5-13
Use props
fans93cb8d9b
lvl.3
United States

On the good batt the app says its at 100%. The others are showing 0 voltage on the meter. When they went into storage they were all at 50% or less. Yes, lot of cash to get new ones.
2017-5-13
Use props
fans93cb8d9b
lvl.3
United States

Highasakite Posted at 2017-5-13 12:25
If you feel comfortable with it,Try this technique http://www.pauljc.co.uk/2017/01/18/dji-inspire-one-battery-revival/Safety First! Ken.

Whats got me worried is that no lights at all on or off the charger.
2017-5-13
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans93cb8d9b Posted at 2017-5-13 12:27
On the good batt the app says its at 100%. The others are showing 0 voltage on the meter. When they went into storage they were all at 50% or less. Yes, lot of cash to get new ones.

Hi
This is a sad sorry and understanding why your batteries have gone bad in unattended storage. The FW on the batteries back at the time you put these into storage seemed problematic and caused the cells to drop below the minimum threshold of 3.2 volts per cell. The longer they sat around the worst the cells got until they were finally discharged to 0.   The only way to save these batteries is to try and put power back into them manually (DYI) and this could be difficult for some users. The idea is to remove the top plastic cover on the battery, unplug the balance lead going to the Intelligent circuit board. You would need to monitor this process closely, connecting a charger to the positive and negative leads soldered to the board. Applying a small amount of current to the battery while watching the cell voltage. If you are lucky, the cells will begin to show  charge and the voltage will increase and you are looking for a min of 19.8v before the standard DJI charger will work.  See these links below about recovering a low battery

instructions

Rich
2017-5-13
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I had 4 batteries that were all dead on arrival (not new).  I used the trick above to revive them and while I did manage to successfully revive all 4 batteries only 1 of the 4 batteries now actually works.  The other 3 all report dead cells within DJI Go 4.  I did try flying with them anyway (my mistake) and almost lost my Inspire when I suddenly got a "Critical Battery Error - Landing" message and my Inspire almost dropped into a tree!  From here on out I'm only going to fly with the battery that doesn't list a bad cell, it's just not worth risking my Inspire 1 on the others.

Incidentally, what do I do with these broken batteries?  Is there any way I can recycle them with DJI?
2017-5-14
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1495906 ft
Philippines

I left my tb47 which have been used hundreds of times at storage for 6 months.

I made a mistake of leaving it at like 5% and it won't turn on even if I do the unplug reset procedure.

My tb48 survived because I left it at 50-60% and it remained at 50%.

So always leave your battery at 50% or over because it auto discharges anyway.
2017-5-14
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You COULD revive them by connecting them directly to the charger and bypassing the electronics as shown in the videos, but they'll more than likely then register with "bad cells" as mine do.   Even the one that I thought was ok just came up with a bad cell error while I was flying, so I won't be using it again.  Time to buy some more batteries!
2017-5-14
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1495906 ft
Philippines

Advocate Posted at 2017-5-14 04:57
You COULD revive them by connecting them directly to the charger and bypassing the electronics as shown in the videos, but they'll more than likely then register with "bad cells" as mine do.   Even the one that I thought was ok just came up with a bad cell error while I was flying, so I won't be using it again.  Time to buy some more batteries!

The procedure won't work for all. My tb47 would not charge even with the electronic board unplugged.
2017-5-14
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

There are 6 cells in each battery. You need to have reading of each individual cell in order to consider what your next cause of action. Even one is bad or at very low voltage, the whole battery will be gone forever unless you repack them with the remaining good ones. But then this is not recommended. If you have reading of individual cells and they still have at least say 2 volt. You then probably open the top and charge them individually and also balance them. If the cells are not balanced or with too high difference in voltage (not more than 0.3 volt among the cells), the app will probably indicate bad cell. I have to agree that batteries are really too expensive compared to equivalent OEM lipo battery, almost 100% more.
2017-5-14
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

DTK Posted at 2017-5-14 19:37
There are 6 cells in each battery. You need to have reading of each individual cell in order to consider what your next cause of action. Even one is bad or at very low voltage, the whole battery will be gone forever unless you repack them with the remaining good ones. But then this is not recommended. If you have reading of individual cells and they still have at least say 2 volt. You then probably open the top and charge them individually and also balance them. If the cells are not balanced or with too high difference in voltage (not more than 0.3 volt among the cells), the app will probably indicate bad cell. I have to agree that batteries are really too expensive compared to equivalent OEM lipo battery, almost 100% more.

I agree DJI  batteries  are way to expensive , I  Understand the need for profit  but good grief they are double what others cost .

Great minds think a like  I reckon ....

donnie
2017-5-15
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I agree with Donnie.  They are twice the price for maybe half the life.

Wish they'd adopt the normal RC crowd's Li-Po ONLY battery and leave the charging and testing to a separate Smart Charger.  No doubt they could increase the warranty from 6 months to a year if they did, but at a loss of  profit.
2017-5-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules