A little bit of rust at prop mount, should I worry?
1002 6 2017-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
marcwoo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1165453 ft
Hong Kong

I bought my Phantom 4 Pro + back in Feburary. Flew around 90 times so far. Found sound brown stains underneath the props recently. After detailed inspection found very tiny bit of rust on all spring of prop mounts. Anyone experience the same?
Can't find prop installation kit on DJI store, is that the only way is send it to repair when I no longer bear with it?
2017-5-13
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Put a tiny bit of grease on the springs and redo it every few months.

Non-rusting stainless steel is not the best material for making springs, decent springs will rust if not greased and exposed to water/damp, these are probably a compromise, neither completely stainless nor the perfect spring.

I keep a packet of silica gel in the P4 case to dry it out after use and keep it dry while in storage.
2017-5-13
Use props
marcwoo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1165453 ft
Hong Kong

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-5-13 22:44
Put a tiny bit of grease on the springs and redo it every few months.

Non-rusting stainless steel is not the best material for making springs, decent springs will rust if not greased and exposed to water/damp, these are probably a compromise, neither completely stainless nor the perfect spring.

Good idea, but I am worry about compatibility between the grease and the plastic of prop, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!
2017-5-13
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

marcwoo Posted at 2017-5-13 23:06
Good idea, but I am worry about compatibility between the grease and the plastic of prop, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

You could start by cleaning the springs with WD40 to remove the existing rust, then wash them in washing up liquid to remove the WD40.

Then use Vaseline as used on battery terminals to prevent corrosion,

or silicon grease is probably also good, as used on plastic suspension bushes.

Normal Lithium grease is probably OK too although you don't actually know what is in that and if it is designed to be compatible with plastics.

However I don't know what type of plastic it is so this is only a guess, some guidance from DJI would be good...
2017-5-14
Use props
kykphantom
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5892388 ft
Cyprus

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-5-14 00:21
You could start by cleaning the springs with WD40 to remove the existing rust, then wash them in washing up liquid to remove the WD40.

Then use Vaseline as used on battery terminals to prevent corrosion,

Is it possible to have some suggestions from DJI?
2017-6-24
Use props
Dog Man
lvl.4
Flight distance : 34380 ft
United States

Flying around salt water???  Stainless steel shound not rust, What make you think it SS
2017-6-25
Use props
kykphantom
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5892388 ft
Cyprus

Dog Man Posted at 2017-6-25 09:29
Flying around salt water???  Stainless steel shound not rust, What make you think it SS

Springs are not stainless steel!
2017-6-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules