Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Brand new Mavic - Major side drift when flying straight
2042 8 2017-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Spirytus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 126864 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Got my brand new Mavic 1 week ago and I'm unable to get it to fly straight when attempting to go forward.

I went through all the troubleshooting procedures I can think off:

• IMU calibration - 3 times (level surface, 2 seperate locations) - no fix.
  • Several compass calibrations - on location, in an open field, no metal near and/or in my pocket - no fix.
  • VPS calibration - no fix.
  • Gimbal calibration - no fix.
  • Radio controller stick calibration - no fix.
  • .700 (latest) firmware.

Please bear in mind that I have a Phantom 4 pro, and she flies just fine so I'm not new to all this... Here's some log files if you want to deeper look though I doubt you'll find anything obvious (I poured over the RC and FC logs for hours on end I can't see anything obvious other than she's rolling slightly when I apply full elevator (forward).

http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/WLI4SEQPRWCTR4AGCTZ8/
http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/XWE2UPMOS78SSE7FE4V7/

At first I thought it was a gimbal drift issue, but then I quickly noticed the skewed flight angle by visually observing the Mavic. If you watched the video you'll notice a constant roll to one side, definitely not induced by my sticks and there was no wind that morning.

Worst part: The drift is dependant on the direction the drone is facing; I.E. It's most notable when I'm flying in the North West direction, least noticeable when it's heading South East - but even then this is not exact science. Sometimes I'll get a good straight run only to have my hopes crushed by the next leg - defective compass??

Final note: Sometimes on boot up the gimbal (?) makes a strange fain buzz few seconds after it calibrates, but it rarely repeats < my phantom never did this. It's strange but likely benign.

This sucks

Was hoping to enjoy the break in the winter weather with my spiffy little mavic but those plans got put on hold while I dive into the warranty proccess with DJI support.

2017-5-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Spirytus, could you please sync the flight records from DJI GO app and provide me with your DJI account email?
I'll help to review it.
2017-5-13
Use props
Spirytus
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

Hi Mindy,

Flight records synced as requested. Send you a PM with my e-mail and support request #.

The flight in the video was from yesterday (May 13) - See how the mavic rolls to the right?

Here's a video from a test flight done on May 12 before I called support:

You can clearly see the mavic pitching to the right when flying outbound, than drifts all over the place when I'm flying it back in sports mode.

Note: The original roll when it hovers at the begining of the video is due to the wind. Once it takes off you'll notice the right roll increase a few degrees.

DJI phone support also mentioned in may be a balance issue, so I swapped out the props on the May 13th flight (original video), clearly without success.
2017-5-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Spirytus Posted at 2017-5-14 06:39
Hi Mindy,

Flight records synced as requested. Send you a PM with my e-mail and support request #.

Although it might not make a difference to your problem, testing under 15m you are depending on VPS to keep your craft on track, you really should test above 15 m and out of VPS range if surface under the Mavic does not have proper texture to lock on to you may get similar drift, if you test at 20 meters and same problem you can eliminate this.
2017-5-14
Use props
Spirytus
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-14 09:03
Although it might not make a difference to your problem, testing under 15m you are depending on VPS to keep your craft on track, you really should test above 15 m and out of VPS range if surface under the Mavic does not have proper texture to lock on to you may get similar drift, if you test at 20 meters and same problem you can eliminate this.

I tried turning VPS off, and also a brand new set of props - fault is still there.

I'm going to try and roll back my firmware to .400 which came installed on the unit originally but I upgraded to .600 before the maiden flight (and .700 on Friday in hopes it would maybe fix my glitch).

2017-5-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Spirytus Posted at 2017-5-15 03:41
I tried turning VPS off, and also a brand new set of props - fault is still there.

I'm going to try and roll back my firmware to .400 which came installed on the unit originally but I upgraded to .600 before the maiden flight (and .700 on Friday in hopes it would maybe fix my glitch).

Well you can scratch that, I had a similar problem with AC veering right but I was flying 2 meters over a freshly cut lawn and discovered VPS was causing it.
So let us know how you get on.
Good luck..
2017-5-15
Use props
rsands
lvl.1
Australia

Your Mavic seems to have had a few too many beers lol Hope you get it sorted.
2017-5-15
Use props
Spirytus
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

Just to update this thread:

Downgrading to .400, reinstalling GO4 and re calibrating everything didn't help. Support sent me a return label and so I shipped it back to DJI.

It's disappointing but at least I'm not stuck with it -- once it arrives at the repair station they'll have a look and hopefully process my refund.

The DJI RMA process seems to be pretty decent compared to some of the other electronic manufactures I had to deal with in the past. Hopefully this ends well, will let you know.
2017-5-20
Use props
fans77b82420
lvl.1
Flight distance : 400646 ft
Spain

Spirytus Posted at 2017-5-20 06:13
Just to update this thread:

Downgrading to .400, reinstalling GO4 and re calibrating everything didn't help. Support sent me a return label and so I shipped it back to DJI.

Mine is doing the same. How could you fix the problem?
2018-2-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules