POLL :Do you use RTH or fly back your AC yourself ?
12Next >
3440 41 2017-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PhanFran
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

There have been many discussions of people advocating to fly your AC back yourself while others have no issues with using the 'Autopilot' provided by RTH.
But which group is in the majority (if any) ?
Edit: the last choice was duplicated by error and could not be edited out.
Single SelectVote, Total 192 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

13.02% (25)
52.08% (100)
11.46% (22)
18.75% (36)
2.60% (5)
2.08% (4)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-5-14
Use props
Route77
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1499 ft
United Kingdom

Poll option 1 and 6 are the same ?

Prefer to fly it back myself.
2017-5-14
Use props
JohnMcL7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15295 ft
United Kingdom

Route77 Posted at 2017-5-14 06:43
Poll option 1 and 6 are the same ?

Prefer to fly it back myself.

Yep and they make no sense either given there's no way to set the Mavic to atti mode.
2017-5-14
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

You only use the RTH in emergency or if you lost the MP becasue you were NOT flying in LOS (whioch you sould not do) or your reomte controller got discnnected. Otherwise, manual control all the way. As Route77 mentioned 1 and 6 are the same. Also in 2  you should add SPORT MODE.
2017-5-14
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

My vote isn't listed:

I sometimes use RTH even when I could easily fly it back myself.
2017-5-14
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

RTH is a feature that can be used at any time, just like the other autonomous flight modes. When I've had enough flying I just turn the RC off and sit back while it lands in front of me, it's just like the auto park feature on many modern cars.
2017-5-14
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I find I use RTH a bit more with the Mavic because it is harder to see than my P3.  Either drone is very hard to find if you look away from it, so I sometimes have to look at the FPV to make sure where I should be looking.  I prefer to fly myself (please give us a switch for ATTI), but sometimes it is a lot handier to let RTH get it close to home while I am possibly relocating to LOS of the landing pad.  Almost all flying is done up-sun from the home point, which makes it harder for me to find.  I'll RTH it back into sight and then manually bring it in from there.

DJI please give us control of ATTI!
2017-5-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-5-14 11:41
I find I use RTH a bit more with the Mavic because it is harder to see than my P3.  Either drone is very hard to find if you look away from it, so I sometimes have to look at the FPV to make sure where I should be looking.  I prefer to fly myself (please give us a switch for ATTI), but sometimes it is a lot handier to let RTH get it close to home while I am possibly relocating to LOS of the landing pad.  Almost all flying is done up-sun here, which makes it harder to find.  I'll RTH it back into sight and then manually bring it in from there.

DJI please give us control of ATTI and give us back Tripod mode!!!

I have tripod mode do you not have it ?
2017-5-14
Use props
AndrewF403
lvl.3
Flight distance : 543110 ft
Ukraine

I don't have any problems with RTH, but flying back manually is more fun.
2017-5-14
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

same here, I will always fly it back myself.
2017-5-14
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-14 14:29
I have tripod mode do you not have it ?

Yes.  Sorry for misleading.  I had looked in the wrong place for it.  Original comment deleted.
2017-5-14
Use props
un hombre
lvl.2
Flight distance : 170830 ft
Ireland

I always treat RTH functionality as a safety precaution, if, for some reason I lost RC connection.

I used it once out of curiosity, cool feature, but I would never use it if wind is too strong.
2017-5-15
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

i prefer to fly back myself, because that stupid beeping is so annoying
2017-5-15
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

One should always take any opportunity to gain more flight experience by manually flying back by looking at the map and telemetry etc . I use RTH only on rare occasions .
2017-5-15
Use props
bmbk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5085 ft
Malaysia

I use RTH because it shows me the shortest route back home
2017-5-15
Use props
Yhadar
lvl.3
Israel

I fly it back because I know what path it will take. Still scares me letting an 1,000+ dollar drone fly itself home. And if the sensors won't work? Or flying sideways?
2017-5-15
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
United States

bmbk Posted at 2017-5-15 04:13

Turn red arrow on map towards blue home point dot = shortest route home .
2017-5-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

bmbk Posted at 2017-5-15 04:13

The shortest route may not always be the quickest, let's say it's directly into the wind, you might run into problems.
2017-5-15
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

I use the "old school" method.
Flying it myself.
2017-5-15
Use props
fans37904417
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1113484 ft
United States

Any competent pilot should fly home on their own if they are able to. It amazes me the reliance on the RTH function by some.
2017-5-15
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-15 07:30
The shortest route may not always be the quickest, let's say it's directly into the wind, you might run into problems.

Then you definitely do not want to rely on the automated RTH . Like I said , the map and telemetry are your friends and one should practice using those whenever possible . The red arrow and blue dot will show you shortest way home and forward speed and rpm will give a indication to wind speed so you can adjust accordingly .

Of course you should never wait until low battery to find these things out .
2017-5-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

rydfree41 Posted at 2017-5-15 11:22
Then you definitely do not want to rely on the automated RTH . Like I said , the map and telemetry are your friends and one should practice using those whenever possible . The red arrow and blue dot will show you shortest way home and forward speed and rpm will give a indication to wind speed so you can adjust accordingly .

Of course you should never wait until low battery to find these things out .

You also don't need the map just click on small radar icon will give you the the arrow and dot for those using mini iPad without maps.
2017-5-15
Use props
BluesDragon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 634291 ft
United States

I typically fly back, in P mode, but I do toss in a RTH every now and then just to make sure she's still spot on.
2017-5-15
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

I always fly back, but when I'm bored, I used RTH, just to see that thing do it's work by its own, when I'm in an open field or so.
2017-5-15
Use props
TrollsSlayer
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-5-16
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

TrollsSlayer Posted at 2017-5-16 08:25
Only in emergency, so far not even once!

Hi Dronist, that's good news. Glad to hear it. I use it all the time. In an emergency I prefer to have full control myself and not hand it over to the drone.
2017-5-16
Use props
tshizdude
lvl.1
Flight distance : 730988 ft
United States

I'll use RTH to fly back when i'm having low signal issues, at which point I switch back to p-mode and take control of the AC once I have full signal.
2017-5-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I think your poll shows you were well of the mark about Mavic pilots using RTH , in a previous post you said something totally different than your poll shows, I have left you a link below to remind you what you said.
I have to say I'm really pleased to see that the overwhelming vote shows that Mavic pilots are quite capable of flying and controlling there Mavics , this has restored my faith in them , enjoy the flying.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=260008
2017-5-17
Use props
tokenbrit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384094 ft
United States

RTH is the only way to take advantage of the precision landing feature - despite my best attempts, the Mavic lands on my helipad in half the time it takes me to do it :-)
2017-5-17
Use props
Parkker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8891 ft
United States

I prefer not to use RTH. It's more fun to fly it myself and relying on tech is slightly more risky IMO.
2017-5-17
Use props
fansed802632
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1641752 ft
United Kingdom

I usually can't be bothered flying back (typically from 2km+ away) once I've got the shot so RTH is handy. It's never failed me... To me this thing is a flying camera not a model aircraft, so anything that can be automated on that side is good.
2017-5-18
Use props
fans37904417
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1113484 ft
United States

tokenbrit Posted at 2017-5-17 12:57
RTH is the only way to take advantage of the precision landing feature - despite my best attempts, the Mavic lands on my helipad in half the time it takes me to do it :-)

All the more reason to practice bringing it home manually. The more stick time the more skill you gain. RTH is painfully slow compared to flying it back manually. Once you have the skill you can out precision the precision landing feature everytime.
2017-5-18
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1316732 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had been using it a lot, only because I have been trying to track down a pattern to why it is failing.  Two issues continue to come up: It occasionally ascends without stopping when initiated (way past the RTH altitude setting and the Max Alt), or it will return to homepoint and then Ascend when it should be descending.  This happens in DJI GS and DJI GO4, but only randomly.  DJI has not come up with a fix other than to return my Mavic for service.
2017-5-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

W.T. Foxtrot Posted at 2017-5-19 04:47
I had been using it a lot, only because I have been trying to track down a pattern to why it is failing.  Two issues continue to come up: It occasionally ascends without stopping when initiated (way past the RTH altitude setting and the Max Alt), or it will return to homepoint and then Ascend when it should be descending.  This happens in DJI GS and DJI GO4, but only randomly.  DJI has not come up with a fix other than to return my Mavic for service.

I think much of what you have-experienced is due to OA flying into the sun, the sensors see the sun as an obstacle and start to climb to avoid what it thinks is an obstacle, it's because of the sensitivity if dji dumb this down it may cause problems for when it meets real obstacles. We will just have to wait and see..
2017-5-19
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1316732 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-19 06:25
I think much of what you have-experienced is due to OA flying into the sun, the sensors see the sun as an obstacle and start to climb to avoid what it thinks is an obstacle, it's because of the sensitivity if dji dumb this down it may cause problems for when it meets real obstacles. We will just have to wait and see..

I explored that theory for awhile too -- but does not seem to be the case given the time and headings when it happened.  Most were facing away from the sun when it occurred.  If it is obstacle avoidance  (sun) kicking in, shouldn't it show that as a warning in the logs? Have not found any that it registered as OA when this is happening (OAs do show up and get logged in the Warning report)
Mine has some other issues... apparently a bad gimbal, and the compass is acting up too.  DJI has issued a repair case.  
2017-5-19
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Iceland

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-5-14 11:41
I find I use RTH a bit more with the Mavic because it is harder to see than my P3.  Either drone is very hard to find if you look away from it, so I sometimes have to look at the FPV to make sure where I should be looking.  I prefer to fly myself (please give us a switch for ATTI), but sometimes it is a lot handier to let RTH get it close to home while I am possibly relocating to LOS of the landing pad.  Almost all flying is done up-sun from the home point, which makes it harder for me to find.  I'll RTH it back into sight and then manually bring it in from there.

DJI please give us control of ATTI!

100% agree, the same for me.  It is extremely difficult to see the mavic even at 100m away ( within VLOS ).  IMO there is no way to fly the mavic usefully without the full use of the display- and this is a good thing.  RTH has been a lifesaver a few times already and a huge help many times when because of the sun or whetever, I can't see it but know it is close....
2017-5-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

randy.sauder Posted at 2017-5-22 03:09
100% agree, the same for me.  It is extremely difficult to see the mavic even at 100m away ( within VLOS ).  IMO there is no way to fly the mavic usefully without the full use of the display- and this is a good thing.  RTH has been a lifesaver a few times already and a huge help many times when because of the sun or whetever, I can't see it but know it is close....

There are two other failsafe ways of flying your aircraft back when you loose VLOS , one using your small radar and compass arrow in bottom left hand corner or using maps, both are much simpler to use and work just as or more effective than RTH,
If you loose transmission yes the best option is rth ..
2017-5-22
Use props
Safari
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67703 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Always back myself. What else. I also prefer to drive a manual car opposite to an automatic one.
2017-5-23
Use props
PanaceaBeachBum
lvl.2
United States

Ive only had mine a few weeks, 58 flights so far, almost 80 miles and I use my RTH almost every flight then take control when its right over me. If the RTH is hard to setup and unreliable then why is it assigned to a button on the control.
2017-5-23
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-22 08:12
There are two other failsafe ways of flying your aircraft back when you loose VLOS , one using your small radar and compass arrow in bottom left hand corner or using maps, both are much simpler to use and work just as or more effective than RTH,
If you loose transmission yes the best option is rth ..

Admittedly I have hardly flown my Mavic at all until last week when I was in Iceland.  Amazing place to fly!  I'll experiment with these methods as I would rather have complete control of the drone myself.  Many times I would fly instrument only and could tell via my distance/height feedback that I was doing well until I could make visual contact.  The first time I used RTH was when it was automatically initiated after I lost signal over a high set of waterfalls (and I ventured upstream   ).  My heart stopped at that point as I feared a 'flyaway'...but she came back to me 5 min later and boosted my confidence .    I learned from this that when going over steep terrain, to fly WAY back so as to not loose signal.  I tried this again at another location and achieved about 3km distance; probably could have gone way farther as my signal meter was strong.
2017-5-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules