Repair Suggestions?
1875 13 2017-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Yraegel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1411811 ft
United States

I somehow managed to break my left front landing leg. Looking on youtube, it's an easy replacement. I would be comfortable performing it but there's an antenna in the leg and I assume I would be voiding warranty assuming I could find the part. DJI quotes $22 for replacing the Front Left Motor Arm - https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/PriceQuery

I wanted to ask anyone for recommendations based on experience. Work directly with DJI, or work  with one of the authorized repair centers such as Magic Sky and Drone Nerds. Primarily looking for a quick turnaround. I figure repair costs would be similar at any service center...

Suggestions?

IMG_1662.JPG
2017-5-14
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

If you dont mind waiting a month or so, I will go with DJI otherwise go with local!
2017-5-14
Use props
laceyboy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 159820 ft
United States

3D Printing or eBay by searching "mavic pro parts".
2017-5-14
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

How did it happen?
2017-5-14
Use props
laceyboy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 159820 ft
United States

Obviously crashed.
2017-5-14
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I assumed so, but the type of damage seems a bit odd.  Just curious how it might have clipped those angles.
2017-5-14
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

it's not a bad price --- the whole arm costs $54.00
2017-5-14
Use props
Yraegel
lvl.4
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-5-14 13:48
I assumed so, but the type of damage seems a bit odd.  Just curious how it might have clipped those angles.

I honestly wish I knew. I didn't hit anything while flying. There were a lot of neighborhood kids around but it wasn't ever really out of my site while on the ground. The damage is significant and that kind of impact would have surely knocked it out of the air. Plus just a scratch on the propeller. So someone picked it up and dropped it? Serious mystery that's aggravating as... Regardless, shame on me.
2017-5-14
Use props
Bent Kangawalla
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

If you are handy and confident to do it yourself.......

https://www.banggood.com/Replace ... 9.html?rmmds=search
2017-5-14
Use props
Yraegel
lvl.4
United States

Bent Kangawalla Posted at 2017-5-14 16:06
If you are handy and confident to do it yourself.......

https://www.banggood.com/Replacement-Parts-Motor-Arm-Front-Back-Left-Right-for-DJI-Mavic-Pro-RC-Quadcopter-p-1145599.html?rmmds=search

The leg itself is replaceable. Three screws and no connections. There's an antenna in the leg but it simply slides out. There's a video here:

Just wondering about voiding the warranty. From what I've seen in videos, replacement of the leg or arm seems simple enough.
2017-5-14
Use props
PM160Mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 303219 ft
United States

You could always Epoxy it and it should hold just fine.  Otherwise, send it to a local shop for quick turnaround or do it yourself; doesn't look to difficult.
2017-5-14
Use props
Bent Kangawalla
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Yraegel Posted at 2017-5-14 16:43
The leg itself is replaceable. Three screws and no connections. There's an antenna in the leg but it simply slides out. There's a video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvX4-W0C4Tc

Just wondering about voiding the warranty. From what I've seen in videos, replacement of the leg or arm seems simple enough.

How old is your unit?
Mine is around 6 months old now so i suppose half way through its warranty period. Proven reliable and for me the main foreseeable damage will be self inflicted, thus no warranty will apply.
For the low cost and time efficient choice to replace the arm itself yourself, it seems a minor risk in terms of warranty purposes.
I would do it becasue i love building gagety stuff hehe
2017-5-14
Use props
Sjatty05
lvl.2
Flight distance : 294613 ft
United States

Bent Kangawalla Posted at 2017-5-14 19:30
How old is your unit?
Mine is around 6 months old now so i suppose half way through its warranty period. Proven reliable and for me the main foreseeable damage will be self inflicted, thus no warranty will apply.
For the low cost and time efficient choice to replace the arm itself yourself, it seems a minor risk in terms of warranty purposes.

Look at your options.  Someone on either this forum or another one said that if you are going to make this a hobby, better do repairs.  

If you send it to DJI for repairs,  (and mine was minor), they might replace your drone with a refurbished craft.  In my case, the refurbished unit wasn't in working order.  I was talked into sending it back, saying the case would be expedited.  It wasn't.  It has been seven weeks since I sent my craft in the first time.

The other thing about a warranty - the first repair that I needed was under DJI Care, however, I got an email saying this was not a warranty repair and my only option was to pay by paypal (it was a noreply email)  Once you send it in, it is really  up to them to decide if they want to cover it under warranty.   So what is your warranty worth anyway?   In addition, I was having obstacle avoidance problems and they wanted to replace the gimbal motor.  I didn't think that was the problem.  I won't know because I didn't get mine back, anyway, I got a refurbished craft that wasn't in working order.  

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
2017-5-15
Use props
Yraegel
lvl.4
United States

Sjatty05 Posted at 2017-5-15 07:52
Look at your options.  Someone on either this forum or another one said that if you are going to make this a hobby, better do repairs.  

If you send it to DJI for repairs,  (and mine was minor), they might replace your drone with a refurbished craft.  In my case, the refurbished unit wasn't in working order.  I was talked into sending it back, saying the case would be expedited.  It wasn't.  It has been seven weeks since I sent my craft in the first time.

This repair won't be covered under warranty. My concern is if something should fail on its own in the future, would DJI deny warranty coverage if they noticed I had changed the arm/leg. You make a good point but I have 7 months on the warranty still. I'm all for self-maintaining and repairing but I've usually trusted manufacturers where there's a warranty.
2017-5-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules