Poll: PolarPro Vivid w/ PL VS. Shutter Pack?
12Next >
20676 57 2017-5-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jamesw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169364 ft
United States

Can anyone recommend which pack I should get? or let me know the benefits of each?

Polar Pro Vivid https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQU ... _encoding=UTF8&th=1
  • Precisely engineered for the DJI Mavic camera-filter can be left on during startup
  • Cinema Series multi-coated glass for pristine Optics
  • AirFrame construction: feather light design for smooth gimbal operation
  • Includes ND4/PL, ND8/PL, ND16/PL Filters
  • Special Edition anodized aluminum frame

Polar Pro Shutter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQU ... encoding=UTF8&psc=1
  • Precisely engineered for the DJI Mavic camera-filter can be left on during startup
  • Cinema Series multi-coated glass for pristine Optics
  • AirFrame construction: feather light design for smooth gimbal operation
  • Includes ND8, ND16, ND32 Filters
  • Special Edition anodized aluminum frame

Single SelectVote, Total 242 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-5-15
Use props
SLiWooDy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 126234 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks like they are almost the same- ND Filter packs, just one goes up to ND32, and the other starts at ND4.
ND 32 is probably overkill for most people, so I would go for the vivid pack ND4 to ND16.
2017-5-16
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169364 ft
United States

One concern I have with the Vivid pack is the (PL) Polarizer. The polarizer has to be adjusted and set before takeoff and it seems like you sbould stick to one camera angle to get the best results.  

Does anyone know if you always have to reset the polarizer ring For each angle and shot? Or does it have some leeway where you can get away multiple angles?
2017-5-16
Use props
trica de
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1062090 ft
  • >>>
Germany

PolarPro Vivid ND 8 just an example - no color correction

2017-5-16
Use props
rsands
lvl.2
Australia

SLiWooDy Posted at 2017-5-16 03:03
Looks like they are almost the same- ND Filter packs, just one goes up to ND32, and the other starts at ND4.
ND 32 is probably overkill for most people, so I would go for the vivid pack ND4 to ND16.

The Vivid is polarised and will act differently to non polarised.  

I have both sets, the polarised is very good over water, cuts down so much of that glare.  
2017-5-16
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 315682 ft
  • >>>
United States

jamesw Posted at 2017-5-16 03:36
One concern I have with the Vivid pack is the (PL) Polarizer. The polarizer has to be adjusted and set before takeoff and it seems like you sbould stick to one camera angle to get the best results.  

Does anyone know if you always have to reset the polarizer ring For each angle and shot? Or does it have some leeway where you can get away multiple angles?

Yes, for the best results you will want to orient the polarizer for each flight. It does take a little extra time to set the polarizer, but the results are well worth it for most.
-Jeff from PolarPro
2017-5-17
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
Flight distance : 871430 ft
United States

trica de Posted at 2017-5-16 04:11
PolarPro Vivid ND 8 just an example - no color correction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6N6kjG-1k8

Are the flares visible as you turn from the filter or is this flown with the clear dome in place
2017-5-24
Use props
trica de
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1062090 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Panaceabeachbum Posted at 2017-5-24 19:39
Are the flares visible as you turn from the filter or is this flown with the clear dome in place

The flares are only there because of the filter. I flow without the clear dome
2017-5-25
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

PolarPro all the way.
At least bought them today and used them straight away.
Quick on and Quick off with the gimbal clamp on.
Calibration procedure worked without any error.
2017-5-28
Use props
arcyenom
lvl.1
Flight distance : 85384 ft
United States

I'm sorry, what do you all mean when you say orient the polarizing filter? Am I supposed to put it on a certain way?
2017-5-28
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

arcyenom Posted at 2017-5-28 21:54
I'm sorry, what do you all mean when you say orient the polarizing filter? Am I supposed to put it on a certain way?

I go with the Vivid PL filters. If you hold the filter in front of your eye and turn it you can se the effect changing. Once your'e satisfied you put it on the camera in that position. This vid uses the Nd16/PL
2017-5-29
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

ND 32 is overkill, plus you can always adjust throughout the drone camera setting.
2017-5-29
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Swedrone Posted at 2017-5-29 00:22
I go with the Vivid PL filters. If you hold the filter in front of your eye and turn it you can se the effect changing. Once your'e satisfied you put it on the camera in that position. This vid uses the Nd16/PL

This video seems very dark to me.

Do you have FPV on?  Your gimbal tilt is pretty off too.  Horizon is tilted pretty far.  You might want to change that setting to follow.
2017-6-5
Use props
jimmybbq
lvl.1
United States

If you want to know why you have to orient a polarizing filter, put on a pair of polarized sunglasses then tilt your head sideways.. It'll be obvious to you.
2017-6-6
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Xman1 Posted at 2017-6-5 13:02
This video seems very dark to me.

Do you have FPV on?  Your gimbal tilt is pretty off too.  Horizon is tilted pretty far.  You might want to change that setting to follow.

Looks bright enough on my calibrated 4K monitor. I don´t mind the tilt that much. Perhaps I should choose a better spot to shoot on? Any ideas?
2017-6-6
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Swedrone Posted at 2017-6-6 09:06
Looks bright enough on my calibrated 4K monitor. I don´t mind the tilt that much. Perhaps I should choose a better spot to shoot on? Any ideas?

I am no expert, but I am guessing the 16 was too much.  Maybe go with the 8.  Or increase the brightness post process?

You probably calibrated for the bright sun on the horizon, so while facing away from it you are too dark.  Just a guess.  It is not popping like it should with vivid color.  Too flat.
2017-6-6
Use props
travelrikk
Captain
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

SLiWooDy Posted at 2017-5-16 03:03

Depends on where you shoot I guess. I live on an island and sometimes ND32 is still too bright at iso 100 ss 1/50
2017-6-6
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Xman1 Posted at 2017-6-6 10:44
I am no expert, but I am guessing the 16 was too much.  Maybe go with the 8.  Or increase the brightness post process?

You probably calibrated for the bright sun on the horizon, so while facing away from it you are too dark.  Just a guess.  It is not popping like it should with vivid color.  Too flat.

Not popping? Must be my monitor then. All those customers I must have ripped of. Terrible discovery that I sold dark stuff to them
2017-6-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Swedrone Posted at 2017-6-7 05:24
Not popping? Must be my monitor then. All those customers I must have ripped of. Terrible discovery that I sold dark stuff to them

Think you will find there are many around here anyway enjoy your videos, keep doing what your doing , really loved your video of Stockholm.
2017-6-7
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-7 05:55
Think you will find there are many around here anyway enjoy your videos, keep doing what your doing , really loved your video of Stockholm.

Thank´s
2017-6-7
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Swedrone Posted at 2017-6-7 05:24

Don't get me wrong, as I liked what you posted.

Also note that you are probably better than me...  Just sayin.
2017-6-7
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Xman1 Posted at 2017-6-7 17:22
Don't get me wrong, as I liked what you posted.

Also note that you are probably better than me...  Just sayin.

Actually I double checked the clip and the LUT was only applied 50% on this one

Thank´s for the reminder!
It´s been updated now.

2017-6-8
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Swedrone Posted at 2017-6-8 02:12

Much more color!  Doesn't look flat anymore.
2017-6-8
Use props
Clare_G101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39236 ft
United States

Not sure if you bought them yet or not, but take a look at this video:
If you don't have time to watch it, then bascially he is saying how the shutter pack you are able to cut down your shutter to always make it double your frame rate (hope I am saying that in the right order) and no pre-flight preparation is needed, no need to check to make sure the filters are in the right orientation, but with the vivid collection, it polarizes your picture, taking out the glare on photos, but it is more time consuming for us flyers who like to be able to just take our mavic out, look at the sun, slap a filter on unless you keep them on from each flight (like I do), take off, and go.
2017-6-9
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

I don't get anywhere near this quality on my mavic, are these all color edited and rendered ?
2017-6-15
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Have to agree about the underexposure.  It is pretty dark for me.
2017-6-15
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

great video! and great music, care to advise what its called ?
2017-6-26
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

RCNJ Posted at 2017-6-26 15:14
great video! and great music, care to advise what its called ?

Thank´s. if you mean the LUT it´s  called "PRISMO".
2017-6-27
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

Swedrone Posted at 2017-6-27 03:30
Thank´s. if you mean the LUT it´s  called "RISMO".

thanks pal, i did mean the music though , have been looking for some nice scenic ones
2017-6-27
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

RCNJ Posted at 2017-6-27 03:34
thanks pal, i did mean the music though  , have been looking for some nice scenic ones

it´s "Homecoming" from the "Bridge of Spies" movie
2017-6-27
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

Swedrone Posted at 2017-6-27 03:49
it´s "Homecoming" from the "Bridge of Spies" movie

cheers , much appreciated pal
2017-6-27
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

What about these http://amzn.to/2sf3nKv

Does anyone know what benefits with this cinema series, they look really good but can't see the advantages
2017-6-27
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

Bradders Posted at 2017-6-27 13:46

Does anyone know what benefits with this cinema series, they look really good but can't see the advantages

you basically get all with that package, the ND's and the ND+PL's etc
ND's are just like sunglasses for the lense, all they do is reduce light to bring your shutter speed down thats it.
The ND/PL's do that too but also polarise for better colouring

Depends if you want the whole lot and you are covered or just one type or the other etc
i've tried just the ND's and now i've got the ND/PL's coming as I want a bit more saturation/colour on mine.
2017-6-27
Use props
PolarProSupport
lvl.2

United States

RCNJ pretty much nailed it, the one thing we would add to that is that the Cinema Series filters use a higher-quality glass than our other types of filters, and the glass features multiple AR coatings for better overall glare/lens flare reduction.  It also lets light through slightly more accurately than the glass in our other filter lineups, so the image quality is generally a little better with the Cinema Series.  If you're doing professional work with the filters or simply are looking for the best possible image quality you can get, these would be the ones to go with.

- Oliver from PolarPro
2017-7-28
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

Swedrone Posted at 2017-6-6 09:06

Though I love the video, the image is too dark on my monitor too (2K monitor with 60% brightness, not calibrated), compared to the white background on the page around the frame. Feels like you could have gone 3/4 to 1 stop up.
As for the gimbal tilt - I too found it a bit distracting. You can adjust gimbal tilt in the app, in the "Gimbal Settings" -> "Adjust Gimbal Roll".
2017-8-8
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

And to the topic - I bought the stock DJI ND filter set. Looks like ND8 and ND16 is what I'll be using the most for now.
They are relatively easy to set on and take off and the package fits snugly in the pocket on the inside of the FlyMore bag lid.

Mybe I'll invest in PL filters later on, once I'm comfortable with using NDs on Mavic.
2017-8-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Great version!
2017-9-24
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

I have them, easy to put on lens and its a combi with polarisation
2017-10-22
Use props
djiuser_imeg8BY
New
United States

RCNJ Posted at 2017-6-27 14:43
you basically get all with that package, the ND's and the ND+PL's etc
ND's are just like sunglasses for the lense, all they do is reduce light to bring your shutter speed down thats it.
The ND/PL's do that too but also polarise for better colouring

Are these like Amazon affiliate links being used by people, not to get answers to questions, but to get a percentage of whatever people buy from Amazon over the next few day?  You don't have to buy the linked product for them to get a %, you just have to buy something.
2017-11-4
Use props
djiuser_imeg8BY
New
United States

Are these like Amazon affiliate links being used by people, not to get answers to questions, but to get a percentage of whatever people buy from Amazon over the next few day?  You don't have to buy the linked product for them to get a %, you just have to buy something.
2017-11-4
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules