iPad mini To Be Phased Out
2304 25 2017-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
zaphforty7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 915928 ft
United States

Get your iPad Mini 4's while you can! Appears Apple's no longer going to be in the iPad Mini business:
https://9to5mac.com/2017/05/16/ipad-mini-discontinued-report/

2017-5-16
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/1 ... continue-ipad-mini/

That's from 2014.  It's not an uncommon rumor.

2017-5-16
Use props
TrollsSlayer
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-5-16
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ack!  This story is being picked up everywhere, it may actually be true this time.
2017-5-17
Use props
Skold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 239170 ft
United States

TrollsSlayer Posted at 2017-5-16 08:18
If it si true it Will be good for Drone pilots becasue it will for sure reduce the cost of buying these MIN4!

Actually, Apple lemmings who don't have one or have only one will flock to buy them at a premium while they can.  I might just sell mine to make a profit if DJI ever gets their Android app working worth a damn.
2017-5-17
Use props
Socalrob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5892 ft
  • >>>
United States

I got the mini 4 out of frustration with my android devices, happy with it.
2017-5-17
Use props
ShadyDealer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Purchased a refurbished iPad Mini 2 from Apple. Works a treats. I'll give it to the Mrs if they can support for it. Only cost £200. The minis haven't really progressed much in fairness.
2017-5-17
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I quit reading rumor sites a long time ago once I realized they were mostly about generating ad revenue. iPad sales are down, but I suspect this is mostly due to the fact that there is little reason for most people to upgrade, and I think this is most applicable to iPad Mini owners; these things last forever. I doubt seriously that the line is going to go away any time soon -- as method007 noted, such speculation has been around for quite a while.
2017-5-17
Use props
fans83524f36
lvl.2
United States

which one do i need the wifi  only or the cellular? i using android and dji app always crashing..
2017-5-17
Use props
TrollsSlayer
Banned

Switzerland

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-5-17
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

fans83524f36 Posted at 2017-5-17 07:22
which one do i need the wifi  only or the cellular? i using android and dji app always crashing..

If your phone supports tethering, you can save money by buying the wifi version and share data from your phone. If you don't care about maps and don't need to authorize in the field, then you don't need a data connection at all.
2017-5-17
Use props
fans83524f36
lvl.2
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-5-17 07:49
If your phone supports tethering, you can save money by buying the wifi version and share data from your phone. If you don't care about maps and don't need to authorize in the field, then you don't need a data connection at all.

cool,thamks, but what do you mean by not needing to authorize? this my first drone ever and lovin it but yeah im a complete newb .. or maybe i should just get a new apple phone.. i think at&t charges for tethering
2017-5-17
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

fans83524f36 Posted at 2017-5-17 08:56
cool,thamks, but what do you mean by not needing to authorize? this my first drone ever and lovin it but yeah im a complete newb .. or maybe i should just get a new apple phone.. i think at&t charges for tethering

what do you mean by not needing to authorize?

He means if you're flying in or near a restricted area that would require an internet connection for authorization during the flight. DJI allows you to essentially indicate that you're taking responsibility for flying in an area where you may or may not be allowed to legally do so.
2017-5-17
Use props
fans83524f36
lvl.2
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-17 09:09
what do you mean by not needing to authorize?

He means if you're flying in or near a restricted area that would require an internet connection for authorization during the flight. DJI allows you to essentially indicate that you're taking responsibility for flying in an area where you may or may not be allowed to legally do so.

oh ok cool, i relly dont flly out of sight so i wouldnt need maps correct?
2017-5-17
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

fans83524f36 Posted at 2017-5-17 09:15
oh ok cool, i relly dont flly out of sight so i wouldnt need maps correct?

Technically you don't, no, but personally I like to have the map, which is why I always provide my (wifi-only) iPad Mini with an internet connection through my iPhone by enabling Personal Hotspot on the phone.
2017-5-17
Use props
CrownSeven
lvl.1
United States

Just an FYI - the apple refurbished store FINALLY has a few ipad mini 4's with wifi/cell available for purchase for 389 in the US - great price for a better than new device (in my opinion) at a substantial cost savings.
2017-5-17
Use props
fans83524f36
lvl.2
United States

CrownSeven Posted at 2017-5-17 09:26
Just an FYI - the apple refurbished store FINALLY has a few ipad mini 4's with wifi/cell available for purchase for 389 in the US - great price for a better than new device (in my opinion) at a substantial cost savings.

awsome , thanks for the heads up!!
2017-5-17
Use props
ShadyDealer
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CrownSeven Posted at 2017-5-17 09:26

The mini 4 still fit in ok? I know it's a few mm taller
2017-5-17
Use props
Tim the Toolman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 275817 ft
Australia

I bit the bullet and finally bought a brand new IPad Mini 4 yesterday after shopping for a few weeks looking for refurbished 2's and 3's and figured for an extra AU$100 I could get a brand new one with warranties and on another post it was pointed out by several people the clarity and screen on the 4 was far superior for outdoor viewing whilst flying.  I will give it a go today so hopefully haven't wasted my money but just now realised reading above I've sacrificed my cellular for screen so I'll look in to tethering.  Cheers.
2017-5-17
Use props
CrownSeven
lvl.1
United States

ShadyDealer Posted at 2017-5-17 14:05
The mini 4 still fit in ok? I know it's a few mm taller

Not sure.  I'm planning on using it with the 3rd party tablet mounts that are out there.  I'll let you know when it comes how it fits in the standard holder, although I'd be surprised if it didn't fit.
2017-5-17
Use props
CrownSeven
lvl.1
United States

Looks like they are out of stock again on Apple's refurbished site , they definitely sell out quick.
2017-5-17
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

Any reason to have more than the minimum sized 16 gb memory in an iPad 4 mini if all it will be used for is as a display for the Mavic RC?  
2017-5-17
Use props
ShadyDealer
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

16gig is just not big enough to anything with. Personally think you'd kick your self for not getting a larger storage iPad.You may want to download pics and videos from the Mavic, download a couple of other apps like weather, wind compass etc and thats the space soon gone. Just my thoughts...  
2017-5-18
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

NoSale Posted at 2017-5-17 19:33
Any reason to have more than the minimum sized 16 gb memory in an iPad 4 mini if all it will be used for is as a display for the Mavic RC?

Nope. Not if that's all it's ever going to be used for. ShadyDealer makes a very good point, but if you're minding a budget the 16GB version will do fine.
2017-5-18
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

ShadyDealer Posted at 2017-5-18 05:10
16gig is just not big enough to anything with. Personally think you'd kick your self for not getting a larger storage iPad.You may want to download pics and videos from the Mavic, download a couple of other apps like weather, wind compass etc and thats the space soon gone. Just my thoughts...

Those are good points.  Thanks.  
I have an iPad Air with 16 gb.  Yes, its very limited, but I do have a few videos and photos on it.  I figured my next iPad (non-mini) would have a much larger capacity.  If I get a mini 4, it won't be my primary tablet, but rather my dedicated display.

I currently use an iPhone 6.  Display is OK, but I think bigger would be better.  I may get a 7 plus, but frankly, having a display that doesn't get text messages and phone calls during a flight has some benefit.

Thanks for the input.......
2017-5-18
Use props
ShadyDealer
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NoSale Posted at 2017-5-18 15:41
Those are good points.  Thanks.  
I have an iPad Air with 16 gb.  Yes, its very limited, but I do have a few videos and photos on it.  I figured my next iPad (non-mini) would have a much larger capacity.  If I get a mini 4, it won't be my primary tablet, but rather my dedicated display.

Keep your eye out on Apples refurb site. They do the 32gb iPad minis for £199. I know because I've purchased  one. Thinking I want an Mini 4 now though but they don't come up as often.
2017-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules