Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
M600 Propeller break midflight - inevitable crash landing
5839 11 2017-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2516778 ft
South Africa

Hi there

Were out today to do mapping and the propellers on M1 broke of at the base of the prop mid-flight. We were able to bring the M600 closer to base for an inevitable crash landing.

Can someone from DJI please advise how we should get this sorted out since the M600 only has around 47 hours of total flight and I fail to understand why this has happened.

broken landing gear Tee

broken landing gear Tee

Props break off mid flight

Props break off mid flight

crash damage

crash damage
2017-5-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

The best course of action would be to contact the Support team to get started with a repair service. Just to get a better idea or any additional options, where did you purchase the unit?
2017-5-16
Use props
lt
lvl.4
South Africa

Hi Jamie, thanks for the reply.

I will log as ticket with support but my options currently is few because we are based in South Africa. I purchased the unit from B&H Photo (USA) because the service, sales and support structures in South Africa are utterly useless and overpriced.

Hope we can get this one sorted because we are stuck at the moment with a job postponed until we can get the M600 in the air again.
2017-5-17
Use props
lt
lvl.4
South Africa

Here is a video of the last moments of the landing
2017-5-18
Use props
DennisMurry08
Captain
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Although it flipped over I want to commend you on your skill of just getting on the ground...nice job.
2017-5-18
Use props
Dayjob
New
Flight distance : 68153 ft

United States

Greetings.
Just found this post today when searching for M-600 propeller failure. We too had a very similar in flight failure about a week ago. Both blades broke off of M3 at the base next to the propeller cover. Looked just like the photo of the broken props posted above. The flight characteristics after the failure were also similar to the M-600 in the video, although our M-600 was a bit more stable, perhaps due to the additional payload we were carrying. We managed to bring it in for a controlled landing. Two things to note from our experience. We were flying a 3D map area mission in GS Pro. Once the M-600 began spinning, the mission did not abort. Instead the aircraft just spun in place. Stick and RTH commands were not responsive. We had to switch to P mode to get the aircraft to respond to stick commands, but still no RTH function at all. Once P mode was active, the stick commands remained consistent, which seemed odd for a spinning aircraft. But a forward pitch stick command always sent the aircraft in the same direction in spite of the constantly changing aircraft directional orientation. Does anyone know if this is by design or just happy accident?
Finally, one additional question. We replaced the 2170 propellers with 2170R (r for replacement?) kit. Noted that the new blade base is considerably thicker than the original blade base. Was this to address a blade failure issue? We only have 42 hours on the M-600 and no previous crashes or collisions.

Thanks
2018-6-27
Use props
lt
lvl.4
South Africa

Dayjob Posted at 2018-6-27 11:59
Greetings.
Just found this post today when searching for M-600 propeller failure. We too had a very similar in flight failure about a week ago. Both blades broke off of M3 at the base next to the propeller cover. Looked just like the photo of the broken props posted above. The flight characteristics after the failure were also similar to the M-600 in the video, although our M-600 was a bit more stable, perhaps due to the additional payload we were carrying. We managed to bring it in for a controlled landing. Two things to note from our experience. We were flying a 3D map area mission in GS Pro. Once the M-600 began spinning, the mission did not abort. Instead the aircraft just spun in place. Stick and RTH commands were not responsive. We had to switch to P mode to get the aircraft to respond to stick commands, but still no RTH function at all. Once P mode was active, the stick commands remained consistent, which seemed odd for a spinning aircraft. But a forward pitch stick command always sent the aircraft in the same direction in spite of the constantly changing aircraft directional orientation. Does anyone know if this is by design or just happy accident?
Finally, one additional question. We replaced the 2170 propellers with 2170R (r for replacement?) kit. Noted that the new blade base is considerably thicker than the original blade base. Was this to address a blade failure issue? We only have 42 hours on the M-600 and no previous crashes or collisions.

Thanks for your post on the thread Dayjob. We were also on a mapping mission but in Map Pilot. I immediately quit the app and opened DJI Go and activated "Home Lock". Aircraft was about 1.2km out at undisclosed height and we were able to bring it back to home in this mode and descend to safe crash altitude. My only thoughts after this incident was to counter the rotation with the remote stick just before landing which might have helped us not crash landing (don't know but by the time we were close, I was so happy to not have to recover a pile of scrap carbon fiber).
I must say the 2170R  seems to be much better constructed (I also had the same thoughts about the thicker root construction) but there were some reports of the shearing the screw heads of the bolts that hold the top plate so be wary of this and check wether they are flush every time before takeoff. It might also be a good routine to replace blades every 40-50 hours (maybe DJI can chip in on this and give us some advice)
Happy flying!
2018-6-27
Use props
mikes1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1740699 ft
  • >>>

I was looking through the forums and came across this post. I was one of the first adopters of the M-600 and probably have over 100 hours on it. Been flying large scale RC aircraft for over 25 years. All my birds have carbon fiber props on them and I have never had a prop come apart. But everyone should know that the props on the M-600 are only carbon reinforced to give them some stiffness not true carbon fiber. After inspecting the supplied props I can't see any issues but I can't take any chances. The replacement props are a reasonable price so we changed them. I'm posting a picture of the difference in the thickness of the props. Looks like they are about 30% thicker.
2018-7-24
Use props
Kiysersosae
lvl.3
Flight distance : 643041 ft
United Kingdom

There was an M600 crashed yesterday in a football stadium in Scotland, not sure on the failure mode but I'm guessing it may be the prop issue. No one likes the company who's Drone it was so many happy people as it happend on live TV.
2018-7-24
Use props
ricci2
Captain
Flight distance : 61158 ft
  • >>>
Spain

lt Posted at 2018-6-27 22:24
Thanks for your post on the thread Dayjob. We were also on a mapping mission but in Map Pilot. I immediately quit the app and opened DJI Go and activated "Home Lock". Aircraft was about 1.2km out at undisclosed height and we were able to bring it back to home in this mode and descend to safe crash altitude. My only thoughts after this incident was to counter the rotation with the remote stick just before landing which might have helped us not crash landing (don't know but by the time we were close, I was so happy to not have to recover a pile of scrap carbon fiber).
I must say the 2170R  seems to be much better constructed (I also had the same thoughts about the thicker root construction) but there were some reports of the shearing the screw heads of the bolts that hold the top plate so be wary of this and check wether they are flush every time before takeoff. It might also be a good routine to replace blades every 40-50 hours (maybe DJI can chip in on this and give us some advice)
Happy flying!

greetings Lt,
Long time no chat, just returned from Antartica, Halley 6, so glad I did not take the M600 after your issue.
Took a mavic pro and it was great until at 500m up, an updraft took the craft up to over 2,5k and spat it out a 1000m away. managed to recover the beast,  amazing footage, thousands of km of white snow and Halley a little red and blue dot.
glad your craft made it back.
be well

ricci
2018-7-24
Use props
Farnk666
Captain
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
United States

This is a bit concerning - I thought that a hex like the M600 should be able to maintain stability after a single prop/motor loss?
2018-7-24
Use props
AlphaBravo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7356 ft
United States

time to swap with the 2170R.... good to know!
2019-5-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules