Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Pulsing brightness/colour?
2075 20 2017-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jinjur
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hey guys,

Was in Scotland last weekend for a wedding and just took the drone out to practice around the beautiful countryside.

Got some nice stuff but in an awful lot of the footage (which is very green, because Scotland!) the greens seem to look like they are pulsing either in brightness, saturation or sharpness.....can't work out what.

I was filming in 4k30 with everything else in auto.

Was wondering if this might be a white balance thing, auto exposure thing or could this be a sync issue between the shutter speed and fps setting of the video?

Not sure, would appreciate a bit of guidance if you could help

p.s. just a dump of the 4k30 up to Youtube....no editing or conversinos yet......still pretty clueless tbh. Sorry.

Thanks
Andy
2017-5-16
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Not sure what is going on but it looks terrible.
ND filters allow you drop your shutter speed which seems to eliminate the notchiness.
I would be setting the WB to manual and play with the exposure settings first though for comparison.
Also maybe drop the sharpness by 1.
2017-5-16
Use props
mjacobson
lvl.3
United States

I've gotten this too.  ND Filters have helped a little.  If anyone has any other advice, I'm open ears.
2017-5-16
Use props
Jinjur
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-5-16 17:13
Not sure what is going on but it looks terrible.
ND filters allow you drop your shutter speed which seems to eliminate the notchiness.
I would be setting the WB to manual and play with the exposure settings first though for comparison.

Hey Kangaroo.

Thanks for the suggestions. Sunny today here in Northern Ireland (rare) so I will have a little play this evening and see if i can improve it any with some manual settings

A
2017-5-17
Use props
Reznor99
lvl.1
Flight distance : 98855 ft
United States

Jinjur Posted at 2017-5-17 00:10
Hey Kangaroo.

Thanks for the suggestions. Sunny today here in Northern Ireland (rare) so I will have a little play this evening and see if i can improve it any with some manual settings

What settings are you using?

I get the same thing on almost all of my shots lately.  Happens especially over surfaces with a lot of detail that are uniform in color i.e. green grass, foliage, etc.  I believe it is a known issue that has to do with the codec.  It is more pronounced when sharpness is set to 0 or above.  At 0 and below the Mavic's built-in denoiser kicks in and this issue is less noticeable but at the sacrifice of losing a lot of detail.  The denoiser tends to muddy a lot of areas in the shot making them look like blurry blobs.  

Some people have had great results using +1 sharpness and then using Neat Video to denoise and get rid of the pulsing.  I haven't been able to get the settings right in Neat to do this at least not yet with the free trial...  I might go back to using -1/-2 sharpness because of this issue.
2017-5-17
Use props
Reznor99
lvl.1
United States

Sorry Jinjur.  Replied to the wrong person.  See above!
2017-5-17
Use props
Jinjur
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hey guys,

Didn't get out last night as the weather went full on apocalypse.

Supposed to be nicer tonight but will take that with a pinch of salt till i see it.

Will post the settings it is sitting with at the minute when i get home

Regards
Andy
2017-5-18
Use props
Nees
First Officer
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Sadly a codec issue that you will have to deal with and will see a lot more on vegitation.

Only DJI could "fix" this by finetuning the codec, but don't count on it.

You are seeing keyframes every few frames.
2017-5-18
Use props
Short Circuit
New
Flight distance : 126647 ft
Canada

I noticed an issue in yours, and while I do not have that, I have a similar pulsing brightness/colour which is why I've come across this thread. Anyone know what's going on with mine? If you watch the clip, at about 23/24 and 28/29 seconds, and also 30 seconds and beyond it flickers, lower half of the frame mostly. In the trees + water. Any idea what it is?

2017-5-18
Use props
Nees
First Officer
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Short Circuit Posted at 2017-5-18 02:03
I noticed an issue in yours, and while I do not have that, I have a similar pulsing brightness/colour which is why I've come across this thread. Anyone know what's going on with mine? If you watch the clip, at about 23/24 and 28/29 seconds, and also 30 seconds and beyond it flickers, lower half of the frame mostly. In the trees + water. Any idea what it is?

Video

Yes, Codec...
2017-5-18
Use props
jpap
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1780679 ft
Greece

Hi

I have the same issue. It is very annoying / noticeable in green areas. A lot of people have it. Here is my video (check in full screen HD).

I was watching the other day DJI's Mavic advertising videos , flickering was there too!!!
Check at 00:13, 00:30, 01:25 in full screen HD

ND filters might help hiding it, but the problem is with DJI's codec. Only DJI can help us here.
2017-5-18
Use props
Reznor99
lvl.1
United States

Yep.  Same thing. Codec.
2017-5-18
Use props
Reznor99
lvl.1
United States

jpap Posted at 2017-5-18 03:25
Hi

I have the same issue. It is very annoying / noticeable in green areas. A lot of people have it. Here is my video (check in full screen HD). Mavic Flickering

Very annoying indeed.  I use filters and that hasn't fixed it, just a little less pronounced.  You can set sharpness lower, but like I said things get muddy then.  Just have to figure out what setting is somewhat acceptable to your eye and go with it.  Or go ahead and crank up sharpness and then apply a de-noiser to it in post. Although I haven't been able to figure that out being an amateur editor.  For the casual viewer though the pulsing is not as noticeable.  My wife thinks I am insane...lol. She barely notices it when I point it out.  
2017-5-18
Use props
Peter Galbavy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

This may be pointless, but someone suggested 24p and "PAL" settings, I can't recall where. I don't get why there is an NTSC / PAL switch, but it appears to influence the codec from what I recall reading.
2017-5-18
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

What were your settings? The Normal video mode enhances saturation, which might be causing problems in some settings, the TrueColor mode apparently is what you'd think "normal" would be, i.e. straight-out-of-camera.
2017-5-18
Use props
kinglevel
New
Flight distance : 153812 ft
Sweden

i have the same problem with my mavic.
Seems like its due to the interpolation frames. It is "fixable" with noise removing in post process.. But i really hope DJI will finetune the codec.

You can see the same issue here:
2017-5-18
Use props
Jinjur
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Oh wow dude, that is exactly what I have.

Your footage though is really lovely

I was out tonight using manual settings and got exactly the same results which was disappointing.

Manual WB and exp (i got it wrong so many times.....lol) sharpening set to +1, 4k 30fps.

:/

Would really like this fixed. After spending so much on the drone, I really can't go shelling out on software like Neat Image and its supported movie editors.

J
2017-5-18
Use props
Jinjur
Second Officer
United Kingdom

2017-5-18
Use props
daivatam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 473389 ft
Romania

This below is my reply in another thread but applies also here. On top of that ... indeed it is an codec choice problem...the codec that they choice will render an "uncompressed key-frame full resolution at every  forget how much compressed frames...or some around that process...forget detail...this is how the codec work...and because this the eye will perceive that clear sharp frame as flicker. The solution is to use neat video that will equalize the frames...much improving the video but it will take ages and it is paid software.

"This is the ugliness of the mavic camera...this and the spot color or vignette....they are artifacts because the poor camera compression...because bad  codec and limited cpu processing power inside the drone-max bandwidth is 60 mb lower end for 4k...it is not an malfunction of your mavic...all are the same... also the sensor is extremely noisy and the inside processing it is realy bad...try neat video for noise but it will take ages for 4k and it is a paid software...to minimize this you should pan very slow, you should use an nd filter to keep the shutter speed at around 50-60 frames ideally because the motion blur will take place of ugly artifacts rendering the image more pleasing, to film at 2.7k  because the same 60mb bandwidth will be used and then upscale to 4k if u want, to lower a tad sharpness in full daylight...better to stay on 0 try -1 but not in low light. The best resolve will be that the dji will implement a better camera algorithm codec/compression processing...but  seems that this is just an dream because one reason or another. "
2017-5-18
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Really sick footage jinjur. It's noticeable in yours and kings footage on my monitor. Others have posted on this and did a test I've seen this zoomed in 400% It's every 8 frames goes from clean to blurry. Like frame 3 to 7 gets gradually more blurry, 8th is sharp again. jpap I think is more jello effect. Short curcuits maybe shutter change. The Lumetri color plugin that comes with premiere can help if your getting the red spot.

7.jpg 8.jpg
2017-5-18
Use props
Reznor99
lvl.1
United States

This guy seems to know what he is talking about. Did the research and teamed with Neat Video to find solutions. I am hopeful that this will help us with our issues, pulsing/flicker, sharpness, etc.

2017-6-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules