Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Attach filter after gimbal calibration?
1861 5 2017-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
patman89
lvl.4
Flight distance : 288327 ft
Germany

Hi,

yesterday I have tested my new filter-set. Everything is fine with the ND-Filters, gimbal calibration works well. But the C-PL filter is a little bit thicker (must be only 2µm, which causes the calibration to fail. The last movement (left-right) slightly got stuck on the gimbal arm. I contacted the manufacturer and he wrote that I should attach the filter after calibration was successful. Now I'm not sure if this damages the gimbal motor?

Btw. C-PL Filter is one of those filters which I won't use that often. Maybe twice a year?!
2017-5-17
Use props
PHL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

Personally I've found the Freewell ND/PL filters all work well and passes calibration. Sometime it's just obstruction due to filter housing design.
2017-5-17
Use props
patman89
lvl.4
Germany

PHL Posted at 2017-5-17 16:09
Personally I've found the Freewell ND/PL filters all work well and passes calibration. Sometime it's just obstruction due to filter housing design.

My C-PL Filter works well, but the initialization process can't pass with the filteer attached. It is only a tiny bit which causes a light obstruction. Maybe I'm going to fix this by grinding the filter-housing.
2017-5-17
Use props
PHL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

patman89 Posted at 2017-5-17 23:01
My C-PL Filter works well, but the initialization process can't pass with the filteer attached. It is only a tiny bit which causes a light obstruction. Maybe I'm going to fix thisby grinding the filter-housing.

That's often the case. Unless you can return them, probably try small amounts at a time until it works.
2017-5-18
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Out of curiosity what brand is this? Other than the first-generation Polar Pros I didn't realize that there were any being sold that had this problem.
2017-5-18
Use props
patman89
lvl.4
Germany

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-18 13:01
Out of curiosity what brand is this? Other than the first-generation Polar Pros I didn't realize that there were any being sold that had this problem.

I bought a filter-set from NiSi. They have a great build quality. But according to their support the C-PL filter is indeed a little bit thicker, because of the extra layer of glass. They recommend to attach the C-PL filter right after gimbal calibration.

With the older firmware (0550) there was no left-right-movement of the gimbal during initialization. There were was no issue attaching the filter before the calibration. It is not much which causes the filter to stuck. Only a fraction of a millimeter.
2017-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules