Battery shows 4 bars but immediate warning
3431 21 2017-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans6afc1be6
lvl.1

United Kingdom

One of my P2 batteries with rather few cycles shows four green bars, but when I fire up the drone, I immediately get the audible warning of critical low battery voltage.  The DJI Vision app on my phone shows the battery status bar across the top as over 80% charged, but at the same time I'm getting red text flashing the Critical message  (can't remember the exact wording).

Is this battery toast?

2017-5-17
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Sounds like the battery cells are badly out of balance, ie. you have a bad cell.  Take a look with Phantom 2 assistant.
2017-5-17
Use props
pasaytenpete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 47346 ft
United States

Maybe do the deep discharge cycle....   below 8% and then recharge.
2017-5-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Please try the advice in post #2 and #3 at your earliest convenience.
2017-5-17
Use props
Rob Clack
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks, I'll take a look at those suggestions today. I'm in the UK, so my timezone is likely different from yours!
2017-5-18
Use props
Rob Clack
lvl.1

United Kingdom

OK,   Assistant says all three cells more or less at the same voltage, all around 4050, see pic, so next is how do I do a deep discharge cycle?

screenshot showing battery status

screenshot showing battery status
2017-5-18
Use props
pasaytenpete
lvl.3
United States

Run the battery down until 8% or less left (or the aircraft turns off)...    It's also mentioned at the bottom of your battery status picture....  Here is a thread talking about it

https://forum.dji.com/thread-89494-1-1.html
2017-5-18
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

This is a puzzle.  Battery looks fabulous according to the data.  I'm not sure I'd do a deep discharge quite yet.  Could this be an aftermarket battery?  Have you been storing it correctly?  Is it swollen at all?  Maybe try cleaning the battery contacts - all of them including data contacts on both battery and bird and test it further.  

Otherwise, if you do decide to do the deep discharge, read the manual and do it correctly.  Start with a fully charged battery.  Discharge to BELOW 8%.  Fully charge the battery once again.  See documentation.  
2017-5-18
Use props
Rob Clack
lvl.1

United Kingdom

pasaytenpete Posted at 2017-5-18 05:07
Run the battery down until 8% or less left (or the aircraft turns off)...    It's also mentioned at the bottom of your battery status picture....  Here is a thread talking about it

https://forum.dji.com/thread-89494-1-1.html

Thank you.  I hadn't actually read that bit at the bottom of my screenshot!
2017-5-18
Use props
Rob Clack
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-5-18 05:15
This is a puzzle.  Battery looks fabulous according to the data.  I'm not sure I'd do a deep discharge quite yet.  Could this be an aftermarket battery?  Have you been storing it correctly?  Is it swollen at all?  Maybe try cleaning the battery contacts - all of them including data contacts on both battery and bird and test it further.  

Otherwise, if you do decide to do the deep discharge, read the manual and do it correctly.  Start with a fully charged battery.  Discharge to BELOW 8%.  Fully charge the battery once again.  See documentation.

Cleaned the contacts with surgical spirit (aka rubbing alcohol here in the UK) but it made no difference.  This is a genuine DJI battery, supplied with the drone when new a little over a year ago (I know, already obsolete even then!)  Stored at room temp, but I didn't do anything about discharging it, just left it (with its mate) in the carrying case. I read that they will discharge themselves automatically after 10 days, but mine never have, as far as I can tell.  The other battery behaves perfectly.  This one is not swollen and looks the same as its pair.  I guess I'll read up the deep discharge and take it from there.
2017-5-18
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

The P2 series batteries don't auto-discharge.  So if it's fully charged and you don't plan to fly, you need to discharge it manually.  
2017-5-18
Use props
Homer Simpson
lvl.4

Canada

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-5-18 09:03
The P2 series batteries don't auto-discharge.  So if it's fully charged and you don't plan to fly, you need to discharge it manually.

How do you discharge manually? Leave the drone turned on and running until it turns off?
2017-5-18
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

You could, but I have a discharger.  

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=262384376907&&&chn=ps
2017-5-18
Use props
Homer Simpson
lvl.4

Canada

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-5-18 10:02
You could, but I have a discharger.  

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=262384376907&&&chn=ps

Thanks, I will look it up.
2017-5-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Homer Simpson Posted at 2017-5-18 09:36
How do you discharge manually? Leave the drone turned on and running until it turns off?

That's what you would do in this case, it can take a while when just sitting idly. Do you recall whether there are any error messages in the Assistant software?
2017-5-18
Use props
Rob Clack
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I found a thread that said just leave the drone switched on but not doing anything, but no indication as to when your know you've reached 8%.  Anyhow, I left it like that and forgot about it, and now the battery showed no lights at all, and when I removed it and pressed the On button, it shows just one flashing green bar, so I assume that's somewhere near discharged, and tomorrow will charge it and see what happens.  I'll leave myself a note (It's bed time! to plug in the Assistant and see what that tells me first)  I may change what I do, depending what that tells me, but will report tomorrow.
2017-5-18
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

Homer Simpson Posted at 2017-5-18 09:36

I would just fly it to the level you want to store it and then not charge. More fun that way.  
2017-5-18
Use props
Rob Clack
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I left the drone switched on until the battery lights all went off, left it overnight, then today charged it up.  It took a long time for the lights to come on, but then seemed to charge normally.  First time I fired up the bird, I got a critical battery error, saying (sorry, didn't write it down) there was something wrong with one of the cells.  Shut down, fired up again and it looks perfect.  Vision app says Ready to fly.  Motors fire up (inside with no props on) and run for a minute or more without problem.  If the weather ever improves, I'll take it out and fly cautiously to see what happens.  Also looking at battery discharges now.
2017-5-19
Use props
pasaytenpete
lvl.3
United States

Good to see that the deep discharge cycle has hopefully restored your battery!  
2017-5-19
Use props
Homer Simpson
lvl.4

Canada

Rob Clack Posted at 2017-5-19 05:35
I left the drone switched on until the battery lights all went off, left it overnight, then today charged it up.  It took a long time for the lights to come on, but then seemed to charge normally.  First time I fired up the bird, I got a critical battery error, saying (sorry, didn't write it down) there was something wrong with one of the cells.  Shut down, fired up again and it looks perfect.  Vision app says Ready to fly.  Motors fire up (inside with no props on) and run for a minute or more without problem.  If the weather ever improves, I'll take it out and fly cautiously to see what happens.  Also looking at battery discharges now.

Good one, glad that worked, have to do it to mine now.
2017-5-20
Use props
fans1ffc0edf
lvl.1

Spain

The same thing happens to me with two original DJI batteries. They do not have more than 11 charges one of them and the other 12 charges.
Either way, it's the same for me.
Charged at 100% one of them at the first minute of flight flashes red quickly and descends at full speed to the ground. And the other does the same but two minutes of flight. The DJI application of the PC does not give me errors in the batteries.
What can be?

Note: I must say that I did several deep discharges to the two batteries and still they still give me problems.
2017-5-28
Use props
john.g
New

United States

Was wondering how about doing deep discharge by running motors (props off) at idle until AC shuts down?
2017-5-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules