2149 27 2017-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hummingbird.UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 8351585 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hit a powerline or telephone line with my Phantom 3 Pro today.  Saw it a fraction of a second before I hit it on my iPad.  Copter dropped to the ground, three broken props and one arm on the shell is bent.  Lucky for me I had a spare shell in the basement.  A few hours later and the internals were transfered.  Boy there are a lot of screws with a wide assortment of head types.  All systems are GO after reassembly and power-up.  (shell cost about 59 bucks)

All in pieces

All in pieces
2017-5-17
Use props
Mr Pete
lvl.2
Flight distance : 404219 ft
United Kingdom

Wow, them screws are small
2017-5-18
Use props
wntmldrs_belgiu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 793281 ft
Belgium

You just had a shell lying around in the basement .....
2017-5-18
Use props
pasaytenpete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 47346 ft
United States

Great job on the quick repair!    Saved yourself some $$      How did you happen to have an extra shell in your inventory?
2017-5-18
Use props
TruGreen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

ahhh looks like when i fixed my Inspire... used like 8 different bits (torx, allen, phillips, and flats all diff sized)

and those asking why he had a shell.... id guess he bought it to have on hand for stress cracks that seem to happen to the bodys
2017-5-18
Use props
Capo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 178196 ft
United States

wntmldrs_belgiu Posted at 2017-5-18 02:30

Now that's being proactive...
2017-5-18
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

wntmldrs_belgiu Posted at 2017-5-18 02:30

Bought the shell over a year ago along with a HDMI module and props.  I add extra things to orders to get the value over the "Free Shipping" threshold.  ($150 to Canada)
2017-5-18
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

I really like that photo, if I was a photographer I would talk about composition and stuff, just works for me as a nice image.

First entry into the caption competition -  "The guy on the forum told me to do it"
2017-5-18
Use props
ezDrew
lvl.3
Flight distance : 195151 ft

United States

Good luck that doesn't look fun to put back together.
2017-5-18
Use props
TruGreen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

ezDrew Posted at 2017-5-18 11:08

that actually looks rather easy.
the Inspire much worse, I know...
2017-5-18
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

ezDrew Posted at 2017-5-18 11:08

It was a bit tricky, only made one mistake having the leg with the compass on the wrong side.  Had to pull all the antennas out again to flip the  legs.  No screws left over at completion which is always a good sign.  Flew it today, good as new.
2017-5-18
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

How did you not see the wires?
2017-5-18
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Cabansail Posted at 2017-5-18 13:48

The power poles were hidden by trees that were on both sides of the screen and they were dark, the visible sky in the middle of the screen was very bright which washed out the single wire.  Fifteen cm higher or lower and I would have missed it.
2017-5-18
Use props
FlyingSmasher
lvl.2
Finland

Good for you. If I get  P4p can I count on you for repair in case I need it lol. You seem a lot faster than DJI repair. I am reading horror stories on this forum..
2017-5-18
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Cabansail Posted at 2017-5-18 13:48

It is VERY hard to see the wires when looking at the screen, brightness, angles, lighting.. it's a known risk to airplane and helicopter pilots, that that power lines are very challenging to see.. Often you have to extrapolate from position of poles and such...  I know where they are when I fly LOS, and still, have to strain my eyes to see them from a distance at many angles..
2017-5-18
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
United States

Great job! Would be nice if u had pics at various stages of the rebuild! How did u keep track of what screws go back where? Since as u mentioned the screws do differ? And why the red sharpie?
2017-5-18
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Phantomski Posted at 2017-5-18 19:52
Great job! Would be nice if u had pics at various stages of the rebuild! How did u keep track of what screws go back where? Since as u mentioned the screws do differ? And why the red sharpie?

I kept the screws in groups based on type.  The machine uses a mix of machine screws and wood type screws of various diameters.  For the internal parts with screws I kept them with the part they were holding.  I used the red sharpie to label the antenna # on the inside of the old shell in case I couldn't remember where they go.  Each antenna has a molded # on it.  There are four, one in each leg.
You also need new locks for the gimbal silicon suspenders.  They have to be cut to take the camera off.
Had a bag of these in the basement too.
The hardest part was getting the shell halves to separate after all the screws were out.  There are twelve plastic snaps all around the parting line.
2017-5-18
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2017-5-18 20:33
I kept the screws in groups based on type.  The machine uses a mix of machine screws and wood type screws of various diameters.  For the internal parts with screws I kept them with the part they were holding.  I used the red sharpie to label the antenna # on the inside of the old shell in case I couldn't remember where they go.  Each antenna has a molded # on it.  There are four, one in each leg.
You also need new locks for the gimbal silicon suspenders.  They have to be cut to take the camera off.

The drop pins don't have to be cut off to remove them.  If you push the washers further down the pin it pushes the clips apart. If you then pull the pin backwards quickly it will often pop out before the clips return to their normal position.  Of course if you have a bag full of new ones, you can use those instead.
2017-5-18
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

endotherm Posted at 2017-5-18 21:19
The drop pins don't have to be cut off to remove them.  If you push the washers further down the pin it pushes the clips apart. If you then push the pin backwards quickly it will often pop out before the clips return to their normal position.  Of course if you have a bag full of new ones, you can use those instead.

Too late this time but thanks for the tip.
2017-5-19
Use props
Capo
lvl.2
United States

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-5-18 10:12
I really like that photo, if I was a photographer I would talk about composition and stuff, just works for me as a nice image.

First entry into the caption competition -  "The guy on the forum told me to do it"

Gives a whole new meaning to "overhead drone shot".
2017-5-19
Use props
Capo
lvl.2
United States

FlyingSmasher Posted at 2017-5-18 17:10
Good for you. If I get  P4p can I count on you for repair in case I need it lol. You seem a lot faster than DJI repair. I am reading horror stories on this forum..

Have you seen the inside of the P4P? This one looks simple in comparison.
2017-5-19
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
United States

Well, thx for sharing. Good info. I guess with the clips on the shell, I would not want to open it up only to check something and not replace? Or u think it's managable to open the shell without breaking the tabs, so it can be put back again?
2017-5-19
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Phantomski Posted at 2017-5-19 12:47
Well, thx for sharing. Good info. I guess with the clips on the shell, I would not want to open it up only to check something and not replace? Or u think it's managable to open the shell without breaking the tabs, so it can be put back again?

I managed to open mine without breaking any of the tabs.  The new shell came snapped shut so I had to open it too.  The snaps are by the vent holes in the arms.  I pride the upper shell out which also pushed the lower shell in and it opened the one snap.  Then you need to put a spacer in to keep it from snapping closed again while working your way around the edge opening the next snap exc.
The guts of my P4 look more complicated however with the metal bottom it looks like the camera does not have to come off when switching shells.
2017-5-19
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Capo Posted at 2017-5-19 07:33
Have you seen the inside of the P4P? This one looks simple in comparison.

I have looked inside the battery compartment hole of my P4 and every side has a circuit board but maybe they all stay together when pulling out the electronics.  Hopefully the circuit board interconnects are not done with ribbon cables.  These are easily broken.
2017-5-19
Use props
BearDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2887251 ft
United States

Wow, I wouldn't even know where to start...

Good for you getting back in the air so quickly. Bad power lines....bad...
2017-5-19
Use props
BrucesterJ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 47999 ft
United States

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2017-5-18 20:33

I have a P3P also..  it took a hard landing and to save some $.. I got my hobby screwdrivers out and figured out how to remove the top shell.. I ordered a cable set and replaced them myself. I have the skills but not looking forward to next time..
2017-5-21
Use props
BrucesterJ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 47999 ft
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-5-19 12:47

I know your not asking me.. but yes.. very possible. Just be smart about adding too much pressure. I didn't, but taking some pix along the way would be helpful.
2017-5-21
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2017-5-19 14:40
I have looked inside the battery compartment hole of my P4 and every side has a circuit board but maybe they all stay together when pulling out the electronics.  Hopefully the circuit board interconnects are not done with ribbon cables.  These are easily broken.

The P4 is a little more difficult because you have to unsolder the motor wires from the mainboard (or cut them which is easier), Unlike the P3A or the P3P. Yeah a ton of screws on all of them, but if you take your time it all makes sense. I agree though that DJI could have put a little more thought into this and not made so many different types of screws for these things. It is easy if you don't keep them straight , to get them in the wrong places. Nice job though!
2017-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules