Bought two Mavics, both fail to update to latest firmware
1226 18 2017-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansc3f07376
lvl.1
Flight distance : 113665 ft
United States

I bought two Mavics yesterday and both refuse to update the mavic itself to latest version with both ios and dji assistant mac app.

I spent 2.2k on two drones that are broken out of the box. I've been stalking these boards for 3 hours and no solution helps and I am beyond frustrated and disapointed.

I'm also an editor at a huge tech blog and a scathing article that will be read by millions sure sounds very enticing right about now.

UNBELIEVABLE DJI
2017-5-18
Use props
tshizdude
lvl.1
Flight distance : 730988 ft
United States

I had a similar issue with my first Mavic. Had it exchanged and have since not tried to perform another FW update. I did not have these kind of issues with my phantom 3 right out of the box, but one time I did have to do a manual firmware update because it was not working through the DJI Go app. Wish they could nail down all the firmware problems and make it much more reliable. You are certainly not alone here.
2017-5-18
Use props
TrollsSlayer
Banned

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-5-18
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

TrollsSlayer Posted at 2017-5-18 07:42
Please provide your phone/tablet type/FW/. Also did the app asked you to update or not? If not you do not need to update to fly your AC.
When you do the update, make sure you have fast WIFI connection.

Good reply, makes a lot more sense than threatening to publish a negative blog!
2017-5-18
Use props
TrollsSlayer
Banned

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-5-18
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Did you try pc? Maybe your one of those poser tech guys lol j/k I thought ios was the way to go. If you really are a tech blog, try everything.
2017-5-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's very odd that you have two aircraft and both will not update. Are you on a good internet connection? What firmware are they currently on? They must be activated, you've already gone through that process and they are both activated? What error messages are you getting on your IOS device and Assistant2? Can you post screenshots from both? What IOS device are you using?
2017-5-18
Use props
KloppKopp
lvl.1
Germany

As reported by others updating via iOS App did not work for me via Wifi. There seems to be some sort of interference.

Try updating via iOS App on phone network if you have a data plan that can handle the volume.

Worked for me.
2017-5-18
Use props
DennisMurry08
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

If it helps, I tried to update and it failed several times...got the pop up after a few seconds.....I tried again and this time it just sat there with that folder update icon thing...it took about 6-7 mins before it showed 1%. For awhile I thought it was just stuck but it finally completed.....so if its just sitting there and not giving an error then my advice is patience...it may be updating. Keep an eye on the progress bar...it moves really slow at first....like 1% then a couple minutes later 2% etc....
2017-5-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Sometimes we should first see if we are not doing something correctly, before we go threatening, that's ridiculous behaviour from someone who is looking for help, do you think if it was proven that you were doing something wrong, that dji would post a photograph of you with your trousers around you ankles for all to have a good laugh at. They won't but they should...
2017-5-18
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-18 08:41
Sometimes we should first see if we are not doing something correctly, before we go threatening, that's ridiculous behaviour from someone who is looking for help, do you think if it was proven that you were doing something wrong, that dji would post a photograph of you with your trousers around you ankles for all to have a good laugh at. They won't but they should...

Don't hold back Hallmark, say what you mean!
2017-5-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Airobotix Posted at 2017-5-18 09:27
Don't hold back Hallmark, say what you mean!

Well OP was looking for help provided little info and threatening before he knows what the problem is.
I don't think with that approach he's doing himself any favours.
2017-5-18
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
Canada

I'm Sorry to hear about your issues WITH TWO (2) Mavic's out of the box, it's starting to become very
common!! You are an Editor of a Huge Tech Blog --- You Know What To Do
I hope DJI straightens you out
Cheers   
2017-5-18
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Try a PC I am sure it will be fine......chances are you have missed something!
2017-5-18
Use props
fansc3f07376
lvl.1
United States

Let's get a couple things straight here guys:

This is a one thousand dollar drone, a premium product and I bought two with the same issue from two different apple stores in New York.

I am not threatening with anything but rather will be simply stating my frustrations in an editorial piece with a product thats advertised to seamlessly work out of the box with no hassles which is clearly not the case here. Please remember and this is very important: this is not a dyi hobby drone that is assumed to require some fiddling, its suppose to work out of the box and spending hours looking for solutions on message boards is unacceptable.

I am not suppose to come home after buying two of them and spend what amounts to over 5 hours of research into an issue that DJI has had close to 5 years to work out the update/firmware kinks every since Phantom 2 (the drone I started with).

After speaking with DJI support they suggested that I do the following: 1. Exchange them for a third and fourth one or send it to DJI and wait a month for a replacement a day after buying them brand new.

Imagine you bought a  4k Sony TV or a Playstation Pro and upon plugging it in you were prompted to update the firmware and after 15 tries it failed every time. Then you spent 5 hours on their forums looking at possible solutions.. It's completely unacceptable and I'm not sure why DJI should be cut any slack here. This is such a basic issue that it simply should not exist after so many years of experience on their part with so many drone lines.

Now after spending 2.2k I can either exchange the drones for two another ones or spend my afternoon and probably half of tomorrow going back and forth with DJI support sending them my error logs, does that sound like a quality product to you?

I buy the drones, I open them and they simply need to work, its not $149 we're talking about here but 1.1k with tax .End of Story
2017-5-18
Use props
fansc3f07376
lvl.1
United States

Update: Both drones finally updated via DJI GO 4 App via cellular LTE connection and wifi disabled.

Mods feel free to delete this thread.
2017-5-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fansc3f07376 Posted at 2017-5-18 12:56
Let's get a couple things straight here guys:

This is a one thousand dollar drone, a premium product and I bought two with the same issue from two different apple stores in New York.

If that's what you think you bought the wrong product, there not like a PlayStation 4 , you already own a p3p so you will know from this that you have to download firmware on a regular basis.

If you are wanting help with this then you need to give some information on what exactly is the problem your having is and how you can't get it to work.

Apple Sony and all other tech companies have support helplines simply because people have problems with there equipment if all there products were just plug in and away you go they wouldn't need half the support staff.

It can be difficult for some to get started with these aircraft, some of it is dji fault and some of it people having problems not understanding how to get started, but there is support and you will get help here if you want it, that's up to you.
2017-5-18
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

fansc3f07376 Posted at 2017-5-18 13:24
Update: Both drones finally updated via DJI GO 4 App via cellular LTE connection and wifi disabled.

Mods feel free to delete this thread.

Why would it make any difference whether via a cellular or wifi data connection? Over-protective firewall rules in the WAP, maybe?

FWIW, I've always updated firmware via the iOS app using my home WAP and have never had an issue.

UPDATE: as soon as I posted my response I remembered other people stating their home WAPs were adversely affected by the Mavic's radio, so that explanation now makes sense to me. I think my wifi comes over the 5GHz band, so probably doesn't have a chance to get interferance.

2017-5-18
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

I would want this thread deleted too if i made a clown out myself threatening to whinge on a "huge tech blog" about how i couldnt perform a basic FW update without making threats. lol
2017-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules