Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Updates Process For Activating Software And Firmware Updates
60076 573 2017-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Brocks Posted at 2017-5-22 17:42
Thank you Joe for your answers,

I have taken a step back and only have a few questions remaining.

Brock,

1. I understand and appreciate that when the drone is moved out of the country so it downloads the data for that location.

2. This maybe a dumb question, but many people have been asking is you require an internet connection when booting up the Mavic?

Only after installing the upcoming update, and only once for login.

3. Broadcasting serial numbers, do you know if this will be mandatory in the next update or be able to turn off if the user chooses so?

I'm not sure what this is referring to.

4. Week signal, sometimes you just can't get a GPS fix. Back in the thread, it was said that the mavic would be forced into an NFZ state until it located a GPS signal. I believe this is the main concern for everyone, personally, I don't take off until I have a GPS fix. But like I said sometimes your on an Island and have no signal at all for anything. Will the mavic still function like it uses to, or will it be locked in an NFZ?

All flight functions will remain the same. This update doesn't change anything that affects flight behavior.

5. The battery, this is not so much for me as I have the Fly more comb. But it was stated that the *Reserve* for the battery was turned up so that it has more time to RTH. However, that means less fight time like I said to me it's not that big of a deal but to some it is. Can you confirm if this is true?

I am not aware of any change to battery behavior, though I could have missed something. Can you show me where you saw this?

Last thing, if the serial number is being broadcasted, who can see it? Will I see it flying around on a flight scanner app, also who I live in Australia so my drone is not "FAA registered, I don't know who the "Drone Poilce" are in Australia. The only people I have given my serial number to is DJI, is there a chance that DJI will pass that on to the "Drone Police"?

Not sure where you are getting this from. If it's from the white paper, that is only a proposition and I've heard no concrete plans for that to go into effect.

2017-5-23
Use props
fans22bf09e8
lvl.1
United States

fallsilent Posted at 2017-5-22 10:01
No, it will work fine. Put your tablet or phone in airplane mode to be safe and don't update the DJI Go 4 app or the firmware.

I chatted with support as you suggested, they don't seem to have an answer. It doesnt seem like putting my phone in airplane mode will keep it fully functioning? I wish I had more time to return the gear, get a refund and pick up the SOLO, what a crock for customers who need their gear to function without internet.
2017-5-23
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

quick_dry Posted at 2017-5-23 05:16
Hi Joe, thanks for answering some questions, I think I'm starting to get a better idea of what is being implemented with this firmware and app change. If this has been directly answered earlier, apologies, as I haven't read it and this thread is moving quickly. I'll ask these as a direct question, and I think everyone would really appreciate a direct answer without ambiguity.

It sounds like GEO is going to be checked each time the Mavic starts up, what happens if a GPS signal is not available for some reason e.g. you're inside, you're in a tight canyon, etc?

I really don't see where people are getting the idea that anything like this will change from how it currently is.
2017-5-23
Use props
fans6a365e94
Banned
Flight distance : 284491 ft
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-5-23
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

STELIOS1 Posted at 2017-5-23 07:43
Thank God! Someone answer the question i had two pages before, Can i ask something else now, my friend?
I did the new firmware and after three days i was out and in again on my dji go 4 app am i good?

The new firmware/DJI Go app hasn't been released yet. Your current setup should be fine for right now. Make sure your device (tablet/phone) does not have auto updates set for your applications and you can decide when it downloads the updates for your apps. If not, then you will end up running the new app and will at that point be forced to download the new firmware in order to use the new Go app.
2017-5-23
Use props
fallsilent
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336709 ft
Canada

fans22bf09e8 Posted at 2017-5-23 09:14
I chatted with support as you suggested, they don't seem to have an answer. It doesnt seem like putting my phone in airplane mode will keep it fully functioning? I wish I had more time to return the gear, get a refund and pick up the SOLO, what a crock for customers who need their gear to function without internet.

They don't have an answer because they want you to upgrade. Of course they will say they aren't sure if it will work. All you need to do is try it now before you go on your trip with data and wifi disabled and see if it works (which it will). I fly with an iPad mini 4 wifi version so there is no data connection when I fly and it works fine. Just don't update anything and you'll be ok. There is no way DJI can update your software/firmware without an internet connection and your permission anyway. Make sure you have auto updates disabled on whatever device you are using.
2017-5-23
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-5-23 09:16
I really don't see where people are getting the idea that anything like this will change from how it currently is.

It's natural for people to get in a frenzy over something that seems a bit dubious. The wording and reasoning in the letter and notification is very vague. A lot of people in this forum are very knowledgeably and technically driven. When some can't come up with a reason for something, speculation will run wild. The same paranoia found here can also be found in other people observing us while we fly innocently and they will assume the worst as well..  
2017-5-23
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Probably something to do with DJI stating OUR Mavics will suddenly be made almost useless, without even saying when the uselessness is going to strike or what action/non-action will trigger it?
2017-5-23
Use props
fans22bf09e8
lvl.1
United States

fallsilent Posted at 2017-5-23 09:44
They don't have an answer because they want you to upgrade. Of course they will say they aren't sure if it will work. All you need to do is try it now before you go on your trip with data and wifi disabled and see if it works (which it will). I fly with an iPad mini 4 wifi version so there is no data connection when I fly and it works fine. Just don't update anything and you'll be ok. There is no way DJI can update your software/firmware without an internet connection and your permission anyway. Make sure you have auto updates disabled on whatever device you are using.

got it, thanks, that makes sense, its very confusing when I am just trying to work out other film logistics for this desert outing. I will disable auto updates until I return, thanks!
2017-5-23
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-5-23 09:45
It's natural for people to get in a frenzy over something that seems a bit dubious. The wording and reasoning in the letter and notification is very vague. A lot of people in this forum are very knowledgeably and technically driven. When some can't come up with a reason for something, speculation will run wild. The same paranoia found here can also be found in other people observing us while we fly innocently and they will assume the worst as well..

I understand that people are concerned about their expensive aircraft, but this wild speculation is harmful to the community as a whole. A lot of misinformation is being spread as people either don't read official documents closely, or they read someone's speculation and don't stick around to hear a rebuttal from a knowledgeable user or a DJI rep.

I urge everyone to read everything very closely and not make presumptions based on preconceived notions not based in reality.
2017-5-23
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-5-23 09:52
I understand that people are concerned about their expensive aircraft, but this wild speculation is harmful to the community as a whole. A lot of misinformation is being spread as people either don't read official documents closely, or they read someone's speculation and don't stick around to hear a rebuttal from a knowledgeable user or a DJI rep.

I urge everyone to read everything very closely and not make presumptions based on preconceived notions not based in reality.

I agree! I am glad you are coming on here to clear things up as well! Thank you!
2017-5-23
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

4wd Posted at 2017-5-23 09:50
Probably something to do with DJI stating OUR Mavics will suddenly be made almost useless, without even saying when the uselessness is going to strike or what action/non-action will trigger it?

Can you clarify where you heard this? Our announcement simply said you will need to reactivate the drone while connected to the internet after installing the new update (released later this week).

The drone's functions are only limited if you don't reactivate the drone (which you have already done once).
2017-5-23
Use props
GoodmanRP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4344974 ft
  • >>>
Poland

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-5-23 09:52

I do not want to offend anyone but if ... Why DJI explicitly does not specify the causes and effects of the update. What are the objectives and what politics still in use?
What carries this update? Is it that hard to describe it all straight?
2017-5-23
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

4wd Posted at 2017-5-23 09:50

It says IF you UPGRADE your firmware and GO app to the newest version, you will have to re-log into the new go app or then and you will only be limited if you do not perform this step while running the NEW FIRMWARE  If you hold off on updating GO and your current firmware - everything will stay the same.... It's just like Windows, or your phone software.. You have the option to hold off on the update!!!! This is the part everyone is missing! If you stay on the old firmware and do not update your GO app, everything will stay the same.. If you upgrade to the next generation of firmware and software you will need to log in again - this is not a big deal either.. Everyone here freaking out about having to do that obviously have an internet connection or they wouldn't be on HERE...  As for the speculation of what the new update has in it - well, it has been said MANY times by DJI reps NOTHING IS GOING TO CHANGE.. They have updated their computer code and this is a part of the requirement.. New system.. Possibly a more STABLE system..
2017-5-23
Use props
PanaceaBeachBum
lvl.2
United States

Appreciate the updates, I dont think they should be called wild suppositions, A release from DJI states functionality will be limited if update is not completed.

I understand what this means but at first glance it does not sound good.

Besides all the details, I and alot of other people have just focused on the part where DJI states they will limit functionality.  We pay our money to own , not rent a device and the thought that the seller would limit functionality at any time or for any reason just doesnt set well.

2017-5-23
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

GoodmanRP Posted at 2017-5-23 10:00
I do not want to offend anyone but if ... Why DJI explicitly does not specify the causes and effects of the update. What are the objectives and what politics still in use?
What carries this update? Is it that hard to describe it all straight?

I don't think that we will know until it is out. In both the P4 and P4P groups there has been beta software tested with new features or fixes but the new firmware with these things has not been released yet. There could have been a complete overhaul of the code that requires this to happen.. We will have to wait and see.. They could have just been quiet about it altogether but they let us know ahead of time.. I have updated software on my computer that required me to re-log in after it was upgraded.. I don't see this being anything different.. Too many assumptions going on here..
2017-5-23
Use props
isaacchu
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Hi Joe, Thanks for your explanation and I only have two questions.

1. I believe you understand the new update well. The message delivered by DJI is that the new update will "ensures you will use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for your aircraft, as determined by your geographical location and user profile." So, can you give me an example,in term of flight functions, how my geographical location and user profile affect the flight function before and after using the new update?

2. I assume that, without updating to the latest DJI Go, the geospatial information for my aircraft is incorrect. Can you give an example how wrong is the geospatial information in the current DJI GO version?
2017-5-23
Use props
bomberuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

2017-5-23
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

PanaceaBeachBum Posted at 2017-5-23 10:03
Appreciate the updates, I dont think they should be called wild suppositions, A release from DJI states functionality will be limited if update is not completed.

I understand what this means but at first glance it does not sound good.

When you first got your unit, you had to log in and agree to everything and activate it..  You STILL have full control over if you want to upgrade to the new firmware and software.. You DO own your unit.. Do you want it to be current? That's your decision.. DJI will release new stuff and you can stay where you are - it IS your decision.. No one has taken that option away - the media freaks out everyone by saying you are being forced to do this update - you don't have to.. Should you do it - that's up to you.. I will watch what everyone else experiences (weather has been bad) and just "go with the flow".. If it looks good, I will go for the update.. If it looks bad, I will stay away from it. I am pretty confident it will be a good update though..
2017-5-23
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

isaacchu Posted at 2017-5-23 10:08
Hi Joe, Thanks for your explanation and I only have two questions.

1. I believe you understand the new update well. The message delivered by DJI is that the new update will "ensures you will use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for your aircraft, as determined by your geographical location and user profile." So, can you give me an example,in term of flight functions, how my geographical location and user profile affect the flight function before and after using the new update?

1. You should not notice a change to how the aircraft behaves while you fly.

2. I'm sure it changes based on each account and location. Can't say that anything is widely inaccurate.
2017-5-23
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

bomberuk Posted at 2017-5-23 10:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjMg_zrauS8

About correct region stuff..  

One thing I can tell you - even here in the forums it has my shown as being in Canada.. I am in Florida - also in my DJI app it shows that I have been to two other countries in my "footprints" - never been out of the US.. Maybe this update will fix these issues.. ?? Possibly?? Who know..
2017-5-23
Use props
Mavrick
lvl.2
United States

DJI JOE I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU.

Is it true that your Chinese Beta testers are using a Version of DJI GO4 that requires a SIM Chip device with a Data plan?

Is it also true that the telemetry data from their flights is broadcast in real time to the  DJI servers?

Is it true that the SIM chips phone number must be registered on the Beta Testers account.  If they change the SIM chip the craft will not fly?

Is it also true that Beta Testers who did not upgrade their devices to Data enabled devices are no longer able to be part of the Beta Team?

I am eagerly awaiting your response.  If you do not know the answers then please consult with your manager so that you can reply with Yes or No answers.

Thanks
2017-5-23
Use props
quick_dry
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41526 ft
Australia

Mavrick Posted at 2017-5-23 10:29
DJI JOE I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU.

Is it true that your Chinese Beta testers are using a Version of DJI GO4 that requires a SIM Chip device with a Data plan?

is it possible this SIM card requirement is only for the beta test group, to lock the device to their account  - but not something that wold be broadcast or enabled on the consumer side of the accounts
2017-5-23
Use props
quick_dry
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41526 ft
Australia

Hi Joe,

I really wanted a direct answer to the question, as if I didn't know what the correct flight behaviour was)

If Mavic has no GPS signal, and I power it up, and it just can't get GPS lock, will it be able to take off in a non-GPS flight mode?
2017-5-23
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

quick_dry Posted at 2017-5-23 10:41
Hi Joe,

I really wanted a direct answer to the question, as if I didn't know what the correct flight behaviour was)

It'll act as it currently does. You'll be able to fly in P-OPTI mode.
2017-5-23
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3502972 ft
  • >>>
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-5-22 10:59
I still go to the tower to make a survey, I'd never do it without goor LOS... so i do not have the issue with altitude limit.... Same with SAR - which I do not do, but know SAR from my workplace.. Again.. u get to a place where it's LOS and then u do not have to go above 500m... It may happen sometimes, but can also be remedied easily in most cases....

Here is a list of transmitters taller than 500 meters in the USA.
628.8 m        KVLY-TV mast        Blanchard, North Dakota        47°20′32″N 097°17′21″W        Guyed Mast       
627.9 m        KXJB-TV mast        Galesburg, North Dakota        47°16′45″N 97°20′27″W        Guyed Mast       
624.5 m        KXTV/KOVR tower        Walnut Grove, California        38°14′23″N 121°30′06″W        Guyed Mast       
610 m        Petronius Platform        Gulf of Mexico                Oil Platform        approx. 75 meters visible above water surface
609.6 m        KCAU TV Tower        Sioux City, Iowa                Guyed Mast       
609.6 m        KATV Tower        Redfield, Arkansas                Guyed Mast        collapsed on January 11, 2008
609.6 m        WECT TV6 Tower        Colly Township, North Carolina                Guyed Mast        demolished in 2012
609.6 m        KOLR Television Tower        Fordland, Missouri        37°13′08″N 092°56′56″W        Guyed Mast       
609.6 m        WOI-Tower        Alleman, Iowa        41°48′33″N 093°36′54″W        Guyed Mast       
609.6 m        Des Moines Hearst-Argyle Television Tower Alleman        Alleman, Iowa                Guyed Mast       
609.6 m        WEAU-TV, WAAX-FM Tower        Fairchild, Wisconsin        44°39′50″N 090°57′41″W        Guyed Mast        Collapsed March 22, 2011, replacement tower completed December 13, 2011
609.6 m        Diversified Communications Tower        Floyd Dale, South Carolina                Guyed Mast       
609.6 m        AFLAC Tower        Rowley, Iowa                Guyed Mast       
609.6 m        WBTV-Tower        Dallas, North Carolina        35°21′51″N 081°11′12″W        Guyed Mast       
609.6 m        Hearst-Argyle Tower        Walnut Grove, California                Guyed Mast       
609.6 m        WTTO Tower        Windham Springs, Alabama        33°28′51″N 087°24′03″W        Guyed Mast       
609.6 m        WCSC-Tower        Awendaw, South Carolina        32°55′29″N 079°41′57″W        Guyed Mast       
609.6 m        KTVE-Tower        Bolding, Arkansas        33°04′41″N 092°13′41″W        Guyed Mast       
609.6 m        WCTV Tower        Metcalf, Georgia        30°40′14″N 083°56′26″W        Guyed Mast       
609.6 m        TV Alabama Tower        Tuscaloosa County, Alabama                Guyed Mast       
609.6 m        KDLT Tower        Rowena, South Dakota        43°30′18″N 096°33′23″W        Guyed Mast       
609.6 m        KMOS TV Tower        Syracuse, Missouri                Guyed Mast       
609.6 m        Liberman Broadcasting Tower Era        Era, Texas                Guyed Mast       
609.6 m        Winnie Cumulus Broadcasting Tower        Winnie, Texas                Guyed Mast       
609.5 m        WRAL HDTV Mast        Auburn, North Carolina                Guyed Mast       
609.5 m        Perry Broadcasting Tower        Carnegie, Oklahoma        35°15′03″N 098°36′54″W        Guyed Mast       
609.4 m        KY3 Tower        Fordland, Missouri        37°10′26″N 92°56′28″W        Guyed Mast       
609.4 m        SpectraSite Tower Thomasville        Thomasville, Georgia                Guyed Mast       
609.3 m        KLDE Tower        Angleton, Texas        29°17′17″N 095°13′54″W        Guyed Mast       
609.3 m        WCKW/KSTE-Tower (Clear Channel Broadcasting Tower)        Vacherie, Louisiana                Guyed Mast       
609.3 m        American Towers Tower Elkhart        Elkhart, Iowa                Guyed Mast       
609.3 m        Salem Radio Properties Tower        Collinsville, Texas        33°32′8″N 096°49′55″W        Guyed Mast       
609.3 m        Stowell Cumulus Broadcasting Tower        Stowell, Texas                Guyed Mast       
609 m        WLBT Tower        Raymond, Mississippi        32°12′50″N 090°22′57″W        Guyed Mast       
609 m        WCIX TV Tower        Homestead, Florida                Guyed Mast        destroyed in 1992 by Andrew
608.4 m        KYTV Tower 2        Marshfield, Missouri                Guyed Mast       
608.38 m        Hoyt Radio Tower        Hoyt, Colorado        39°55′22″N 103°58′18″W        Guyed Mast       
608.1 m        Service Broadcasting Tower Decatur        Decatur, Texas                Guyed Mast       
607.8 m        Channel 40 Tower        Walnut Grove, California                Guyed Mast       
607.8 m        WNCN Tower        Auburn, North Carolina                Guyed Mast       
607.7 m        Liberman Broadcasting Tower Devers        Devers, Texas                Guyed Mast       
607.2 m        KHYS Tower        Devers, Texas                Guyed Mast       
607 m        Clear Channel Broadcasting Tower Devers        Devers, Texas                Guyed Mast       
607 m        Media General Tower        Awendaw, South Carolina                Guyed Mast       
606.2 m        Eastern North Carolina Broadcasting Tower        Trenton, North Carolina                Guyed Mast       
606.2 m        WNCN Tower        Auburn, North Carolina                Guyed Mast       
605 m        KELO TV Tower        Rowena, South Dakota                Guyed Mast       
605 m        WITN Tower (Gray Television Tower)        Grifton, North Carolina                Guyed Mast       
604.7 m        Noe Corp Tower        Columbia, Louisiana                Guyed Mast       
603.6 m        Pappas Telecasting Tower        Plymouth County, Iowa                Guyed Mast       
602 m        KHOU-TV Tower        Missouri City, Texas                Guyed Mast       
601.3 m        Richland Towers Tower Missouri City        Missouri City, Texas                Guyed Mast       
600.7m        Senior Road Tower        Missouri City, Texas                Guyed Mast       
600.5 m        KTRK-TV Tower        Missouri City, Texas                Guyed Mast       
600.5 m        Houston Tower Joint Venture Tower        Missouri City, Texas                Guyed Mast       
600.5 m        American Towers Tower Missouri City        Missouri City, Texas                Guyed Mast       
600.4 m        Fox-TV Tower        Missouri City, Texas        29°34′28″N 95°29′37″W        Guyed Mast        Stairway to Heaven
600 m        Mississippi Telecasting Tower        Inverness, Mississippi                Guyed Mast       
600 m        WCNC-TV Tower        Dallas, North Carolina                Guyed Mast       
600 m        Capstar Radio Tower        Middlesex, North Carolina                Guyed Mast       
599 m        KDUH/CH4 TV Mast        Hemingford, Nebraska                Guyed Mast        (collapsed in 2003)
598.3 m        American Towers Tower Liverpool        Liverpool, Texas                Guyed Mast       
598 m        Media General Tower Dillon        Dillon, South Carolina                Guyed Mast       
597.4 m        Duffy-Shamrock Joint Venture Tower        Bertram, Texas                Guyed Mast       
597.4 m        AMFM Tower Collinsville        Collinsville, Texas                Guyed Mast       
596.6 m        Cosmos Broadcasting Tower Winnabow        Winnabow, North Carolina                Guyed Mast       
592.6 m        Spectra Site Communications Tower Robertsdale        Robertsdale, Alabama                Guyed Mast       
592.4 m        CBC Real Estate Co. Inc Tower        Dallas, North Carolina                Guyed Mast       
589.4 m        Cosmos Broadcasting Tower Grady        Grady, Alabama                Guyed Mast       
587.9 m        American Towers Tower Columbia        Columbia, Louisiana                Guyed Mast       
587.6 m        KKHT Radio Mast        Splendora, Texas                Guyed Mast       
587.3 m        Cedar Rapids TV Tower        Walker City, Iowa        42°18′59.0″N 091°51′31.6″W        Guyed Mast       
586.4 m        Channel 6 Tower Eddy        Eddy, Texas                Guyed Mast       
585.2 m        Entravision Texas Tower        Greenwood, Texas                Guyed Mast       
584 m        Multimedia Associates Tower        Rio Grande City, Texas                Guyed Mast       
582.8 m        WFMY Tower        Greensboro, North Carolina                Guyed Mast       
582.3 m        American Towers Tower Randleman        Randleman, North Carolina                Guyed Mast       
581.8 m        KTUL Tower Coweta        Coweta, Oklahoma                Guyed Mast       
579.9 m        American Towers Tower Robertsdale        Robertsdale, Alabama                Guyed Mast       
579.7 m        Baldpate Platform        Garden Banks, Gulf of Mexico (Offshore)                        approx. 76 meters visible above water surface
579.42 m        WTVY-TV Tower        Bethlehem, Florida        30°55′11.7″N 85°44′29.5″W        Guyed Mast       
578.8 m        Clear Channel Broadcasting Tower Redfield        Redfield, Arkansas                Guyed Mast       
572.8 m        Cox Radio Tower        Shepard, Texas                Guyed Mast       
572.7 m        Media General Tower Spanish Fort        Spanish Fort, Alabama                Guyed Mast       
571.1 m        WFTV Tower Saint Cloud        Saint Cloud, Florida        28°34′7″N 081°03′13″W        Guyed Mast       
567.1 m        Capstar Radio Operating Gray Court Tower        Gray Court, South Carolina                Guyed Mast       
565.1 m        KLKN Tower        Genoa, Nebraska        41°32′28″N 097°40′46″W        Guyed Mast       
561.3 m        Pinnacle Towers Tower Princeton        Princeton, Florida                Guyed Mast       
561.1 m        WTVJ Tower Princeton        Princeton, Florida        25°32′25″N 080°28′06″W        Guyed Mast       
559.6 m        Pappas Partnership Stations Tower Gretna        Gretna, Nebraska        41°4′14″N 96°13′33″W        Guyed Mast       
559.02 m        KBIM Tower        Roswell, New Mexico        33°03′20″N 103°49′14″W        Guyed Mast       
559 m        Tulsa Tower Joint Venture Tower Oneta        Oneta, Oklahoma                Guyed Mast       
547.7 m        SBA Towers Tower Haynesville        Haynesville, Alabama                Guyed Mast       
547.7 m        Channel 32 Limited Partnership Tower        Haynesville, Alabama                Guyed Mast       
546.5 m        Cosmos Broadcasting Tower Egypt        Egypt, Arkansas                Guyed Mast       
546.6 m        KATC Tower Kaplan        Kaplan, Louisiana                Guyed Mast       
546.2 m        One World Trade Center        New York, New York                Skyscraper       
545.8 m        Raycom Media Tower Mooringsport        Mooringsport, Louisiana                Guyed Mast       
542.8 m        Pinnacle Towers Tower Mooringsport        Mooringsport, Louisiana                Guyed Mast       
540 m        KLFY TV Tower Maxie        Maxie, Louisiana                Guyed Mast       
538.3 m        American Towers Tower Elgin-29045        Elgin, South Carolina                Guyed Mast        also known as WOLO TV Tower
537.9 m        Cox Radio Tower Braselton        Braselton, Georgia                Guyed Mast       
535.5 m        Alabama Telecasters Tower        Gordonsville, Alabama                Guyed Mast       
534,3 m        Nexstar Broadcasting Tower Vivian        Vivian, Louisiana                Guyed Mast       
534.01 m        WIMZ-FM-Tower        Knoxville, Tennessee        36°08′06″N 083°43′29″W        Guyed Mast       
533.1 m        Capitol Broadcasting Tower Broadway (dismantled)        Broadway, North Carolina                Guyed Mast       
533.1 m        Capitol Broadcasting Tower Columbia        Columbia, North Carolina                Guyed Mast       
533 m        Ray-Com Media Tower Cusseta        Cusseta, Georgia                Guyed Mast       
530.05 m        WAVE-Mast        La Grange, Kentucky        38°27′23″N 085°25′28″W        Guyed Mast        no longer used
529.4 m        Louisiana Television Broadcasting Tower Sunshine        Sunshine, Louisiana                Guyed Mast       
528.8 m        Pinnacle Towers Tower Addis        Addis, Louisiana                Guyed Mast       
527.6 m        Richland Towers Tower Cedar Hill        Cedar Hill, Texas                Guyed Mast       
527.3 m        Willis Tower        Chicago, Illinois        41°52′44″N 087°38′10″W        Skyscraper       
527 m        World Trade Center Tower One        New York City, New York                Skyscraper        destroyed in 2001 by 9/11 attacks
525.8 m        WAFB Tower Baton Rouge        Baton Rouge, Louisiana                Guyed Mast       
522.5 m        Media Venture Tower        Fincher, Florida                Guyed Mast       
522.5 m        Media Venture Management Tower Fincher        Fincher, Florida                Guyed Mast       
522.5 m        Orlando Hearst Argyle Television Tower        Orange City, Florida                Guyed Mast       
522.4 m        Pinnacle Towers Tower Moody        Moody, Texas                Guyed Mast       
520.3 m        Clear Channel Broadcasting Tower Rosinton        Rosinton, Alabama                Guyed Mast       
520.2 m        Pacific and Southern Company Tower Lugoff        Lugoff, South Carolina                Guyed Mast       
519.7 m        Young Broadcasting Tower Garden City        Garden City, South Dakota                Guyed Mast       
519.7 m        Gray Television Tower Carlos        Carlos, Texas                Guyed Mast       
516.7 m        South Dakota Public Broadcasting Network Tower        Faith, South Dakota                Guyed Mast       
516.3 m        Gray Television Tower Madill        Madill, Oklahoma                Guyed Mast       
516.6 m        Spectra Site Communications Tower Orange City        Orange City, Florida                Guyed Mast       
513.3 m        American Tower Christmas        Christmas, Florida                Guyed Mast       
512.7 m        Richland Towers Bithlo        Bithlo, Florida                Guyed Mast       
512.6 m        Northland Television Tower Rhinelander        Rhinelander, Wisconsin                Guyed Mast       
511.8 m        Gray Television Tower Moody        Moody, Texas                Guyed Mast       
511.1 m        KFVS TV Mast        Cape Girardeau County, Missouri                Guyed Mast       
508.1 m        Cox Radio Tower Verna        Verna, Florida                Guyed Mast       
508.1 m        WMTW TV Mast        Baldwin, Maine        43°50′44″N 070°45′41″W        Guyed Mast       
506.2 m        American Towers Tower Cedar Hill        Cedar Hill, Texas                Guyed Mast       
502 m        American Towers Tower Oklahoma City        Oklahoma City, Oklahoma                Guyed Mast       
500.5 m        University of North Carolina Tower        Columbia, North Carolina                Guyed Mast       
2017-5-23
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

eggbeater Posted at 2017-5-23 11:00
Here is a list of transmitters taller than 500 meters in the USA.
628.8 m        KVLY-TV mast        Blanchard, North Dakota        47°20′32″N 097°17′21″W        Guyed Mast        
627.9 m        KXJB-TV mast        Galesburg, North Dakota        47°16′45″N 97°20′27″W        Guyed Mast        

u mean the actual towers are higher than 500m?! No frigging way!!! Well, those I do not have to worry about!  Really though! 500m?! Now I'll have to google it!

[EDIT] OMG! U r right! That is huge!!!!! The tallest I got is 250ft, so that's nothing.... Well, I wonder if inspire and the industrial ones from DJI have the same 500 limit! Clearly that would disqualify them from some jobs.. or perhaps they have custome firmware available upon special request, for such jobs....!
2017-5-23
Use props
Stanley.Y
lvl.1
Taiwan

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-5-23 10:45
It'll act as it currently does. You'll be able to fly in P-OPTI mode.

Hi Joe ,
I have some questions about this coming upgrade
My Mavic config :
GO version - 4.0.6
Remote and Drone FW : 200

This is very stable ,and I kept this setting for a long while , I saw lot of new FW released with lot of problems , that's why I still stay at 200 .
So , my question is , is there any different after I "log-in" ? would DJI force to update new FW?
and I will go to Philippine for travel this Thursday , I won't have internet access or SIM card there , is this means DJI update will destroy my vacation ? I can't use my Mavic to film ?  
(BTW , my Mavic was bought from China)

BR,
Satn
2017-5-23
Use props
fansc15dc5fd
lvl.2
United States

StephenGSY Posted at 2017-5-23 06:30
I don't see the problem. It's for safety. And if you need to fly for any reason in restricted areas you can get an unlock.

You either haven't read the whole thread or pretending you don't understand.

It's not about the safety. It is about that:
a) I do not want that my flights are monitored and logged somewhere on remote server and serial number to be broadcasted along with telemetry - it's my private data
b) I want to be able to fly without an internet connection in remote places and different countries
c) indoors flight must be possible even if I am in NFZ. DJI may limit altitude to 10 feet in NFZ - why not?

We're not released on parole. We do not have to wear GPS transmitters and be monitored all the time.
2017-5-23
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

fansc15dc5fd Posted at 2017-5-23 11:29
You either haven't read the whole thread or pretending you don't understand.

It's not about the safety. It is about that:

I think it is you that have no read what DJI has said.

a) This was not said nor alluded to
b) You still can
c) This functionality will not change from how it's always been in DJI products.
2017-5-23
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Stanley.Y Posted at 2017-5-23 11:26
Hi Joe ,
I have some questions about this coming upgrade
My Mavic config :

Disable auto-updates and you will not be affected.
2017-5-23
Use props
fansc15dc5fd
lvl.2
United States

Hi Joe,

There is not much to read. There are only two sources of information: the whitepaper and DJI e-mail.
I understand that what is in whitepaper may be still far from implementation, however, I am really concerned that such ideas are seriously discussed inside the DJI. And I think if DJI cares about the customer opinion at all - this is an opportunity to gather some feedback. If not - the market will tell you once you do something wrong.
As for the e-mail - it contains very little information about how you plan to implement this mechanism to "make sure you have the right stuff for your country and profile" And you mention that an internet connection will be required.
So why woun't you provide more details of mechanisms that are going to be implemented in upcoming release? Not just telling we're not right and we're not getting simple things?

Joe, please, do not take it personally. It's about DJI, who failed numerous times with this product. Launch date, warranty service, FW update issues.. All that followed by lame excuses and no communication or compensations of inconveniences.
2017-5-23
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

fansc15dc5fd Posted at 2017-5-23 11:48
Hi Joe,

There is not much to read. There are only two sources of information: the whitepaper and DJI e-mail.

Firstly, the white paper and the app info are completely unrelated.

Secondly, please refrain from spreading misleading rumors based on preconceived notions about DJI.

I understand that many users may feel like they need more info, but to fill in perceived gaps with false information is harmful to the community.
2017-5-23
Use props
The Droninator
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5538 ft
Germany

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-5-23 11:33
Disable auto-updates and you will not be affected.

I am already affected right now!
Only V01.03.0400 works for me but you deleted that FW, I had FW700 for a test but it is crap and now can´t go back.
You disabled the option for a factory reset too!

WHY??
2017-5-23
Use props
fansc15dc5fd
lvl.2
United States

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-5-23 11:58
Firstly, the white paper and the app info are completely unrelated.

Secondly, please refrain from spreading misleading rumors based on preconceived notions about DJI.

Joe,

First, I understand that those are different and unrelated documents. But as long as the topic is about the FW update process, l am expressing my vision towards what is discussed right now and what may be in future updates and changes. So to say, beforehand.
Second, I am expressing my personal experience with DJI both for pre-order and delivery, warranty issue and FW updates issues. I'll be happy to share more details with you.
Third, I am begging you to share more information about the update details - this will help to stop the rumors.
2017-5-23
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/36 ... eir-details-online/

YOU'RE GROUNDED Top drone manufacturer threatens to ‘brick’ its £1.5k copters unless owners agree to share their details online
2017-5-23
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

4wd Posted at 2017-5-23 12:39
Https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/36 ... eir-details-online/

YOU'RE GROUNDED Top drone manufacturer threatens to ‘brick’ its £1.5k copters unless owners agree to share their details online

This is either completely ignorant or intentionally misleading. Please don't share this if accuracy is your goal.
2017-5-23
Use props
nocaps
lvl.2
Flight distance : 31624 ft
United States

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-5-23 11:32
I think it is you that have no read what DJI has said.

a) This was not said nor alluded to

Regarding note 'c', this is my understanding, but it begs the obvious question (and I think this is what is causing a lot of the confusion), if functionality is not changing and no new restrictions are being implemented, then what is the purpose of the change?
2017-5-23
Use props
fansc15dc5fd
lvl.2
United States

Joe,

All we're trying to say is such articles and such customer dissatisfaction like mine are the result of DJI poor communication and lack of transparency.
You can't tell that something is wrong without telling what is right. Reveal the details and people will stop telling what you say is untrue.

So will the detailed information about the update will going to be shared before the update?
2017-5-23
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Joe, r u having fun yet? 10 pages! Did u guys ever have such an active thread? Hope this update/change will not be even closely as active with issues, as this thread is. Let's hope, in the long run, it will improve drone safety and help pilots to be responsible - and help the hobby overall. We got lot's of bad press, because of stupidity, many times.
2017-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules