DJI Updates Process For Activating Software And Firmware Updates
60095 573 2017-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

You can only guess what is coming next !   if they dont like your user profile, you can be turned off,   if they dont like your location , they can turn you off,   they can by the words used  limit anything from any user and this will tie the knot even tighter,   so they believe they are being pro active,  so with the sensor set on any of the modern dji drones,  you can be forcefully stopped,  which means in turn any governing body, FAA and CAA's around the world could force or take the hand of DJI, and limit anything they want, when they want,   if they want to stop all drones flying for a few hours, here is the tool,   i am all for flying within in the rules not a problem !   but this will be a forceful step to deliver the knockout blow to all other manufacturers,   both my inspire and mavic have dedicated tablets turned to airplane mode, until i feel safe by these update/handcuffs and shackles,   also by the capability what stops DJI putting out an instruction for DJI drones to fly to a certain area,   or for ALL drones to RTH straight away,  i thought this was future thinking, but think again,  because if the DJI can limit your drone to 50ft before the update, what else is written into the new update??  and who says the new update is any better than all the other failled updates,  i am not saying you should or shouldnt update,  that is for each user to consider.    but boy oh boy is big brother flexing his muscles or what,    i have worked in big business so anyone saying i dont think they will ever use it to limit what you do , for sure as hell will be shortly,  please take a copy of this, as it will be ripped off of here quicker than a rat up a drain pipe.   good luck all !   and as the likes of Lichi is a licenced SDK, they can easily limit those as well,   i really hope there is no deeper reason to impliment this sort of update,   but ...
2017-5-20
Use props
Homer Simpson
lvl.4

Canada

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-5-19 14:47
It looks like this update is just a step to ensure GEO is being enforced. If one updates and provides the necessary account info, I don't believe any unnecessary flight restrictions will be put in place.

If this activation process is not performed, the aircraft will not have access to the correct geospatial information and flight functions for that region, and its operations will be restricted if you update the upcoming firmware: Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high.

How would the drone know if the GEO is wrong and will be restricted? If we update, then it will restrict the drone. Unless DJI are always connected to the drone without us connecting? This then may be the cause where drones become bricks without updates...
2017-5-20
Use props
fans6916e6f9
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1790384 ft
Canada

It is possible for people reading the story and then reading the press release to think that the update will be more restrictive.

It is possible to think under the updates the yellow warning areas will be come NO FLY zones. Or that if we are flying in a yellow area we will be more limited to only a 50 meter radius.

Can someone from DJI please confirm this is NOT true.  That we will or be able to fly in areas we fly in today with no more restrictions then is already in place if we install the updates  and login.
2017-5-20
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

i am really not trying to be the scare monger here, but i was thinking about this in the bigger picture,  if DJI where to go round to all the governing bodies in all countries and say we need to sell our drones to all the countries in the world because we are the only safest drone manufacturer,  because we can do this and no one else can,   all our big drones will only be used by registered proffesionals, all our hobby drones are registered with usand will be able to be grounded at a momments notice,  and we can supply a localiser to do this,  and all our toy drones will be limited to 50ft and 50mtr circle,    how do you think things will turn out? i really hope my imagination has gone into warp drive and this isnt reality,  Drone valley has put up a recent video about the relaxation of FAA rules on drones,  WHY would that happen in this day and age if someone wasnt going to govern and take care of the basics for them ?   and it wont cost a dime for any of the CAA's to impliment because all the framework is already there,  the current$5 registration fee barely covered the costs let alone the legislation side of things.   
2017-5-20
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Falkland Islands

We could do with a bit more information from DJI. Because where I live isn't included in the NFZ unlocking area. We have our own government. But follow the UK
2017-5-20
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

i want to hear some real DJI person give assurances and give detail in the answers as to how what and why this type of update is being implimented and some reassurance it would even work !   because as this is a big update, i guess theres NO coming back from it either as we do now !
2017-5-20
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-5-19 14:47
It looks like this update is just a step to ensure GEO is being enforced. If one updates and provides the necessary account info, I don't believe any unnecessary flight restrictions will be put in place.

If this activation process is not performed, the aircraft will not have access to the correct geospatial information and flight functions for that region, and its operations will be restricted if you update the upcoming firmware: Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high.

Sorry DJI Joe , but  "looks like"  and  " i dont believe"  are totally unvalid explanations,  can some one from DJI come on here and give us some real answers,  i have paid close to £4000 to be able to fly two DJI devices,  one of them i use directly for my job,  i need some real answers !    i do apologise for the way this sounds,  but if the updates install and fail,  what then, if their are restrictions i dont know about,  as you want to change what or how you advertised the craft would perform at point of purchase,  then ok,  i will have to go back to some other manufaturers components and build my own all over again, where at least i have some control over my job !   as this is becoming a DJI nightmare,   failled update after failled update,  and then i have to go out test thoroughly for myself each and every update before i can commence work again,   my APM driven machines had two firmware upgrades, in two years,  as and when i felt the version was suitable for my craft.  and at a time i could control the results.    i thought i was dissappointed before!
2017-5-20
Use props
EranR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 280515 ft
  • >>>
Israel

I own a Phantom 3 and a Mavic Pro and have flown them in various areas and situations.
I also used a Phantom 4 at work, from a ship far at sea without any internet connection for days.
If I were to encounter any difficulties with flying DJI products the way I want, under the aircraft's advertised specs and under my responsibility and as a result fail to achieve what I need,
I would not buy another DJI product again.
It will be a real shame as I like these drones very much and have also spent a lot of time writing software customized to my needs to fly them with (I rarely use DJI GO App, hence my relatively low recorded flight distance).
Hope the guys at DJI have some sense not to cut off our dreams and fun of flying, or harm those dependent on their products for getting the job done.
2017-5-20
Use props
fans6916e6f9
lvl.3
Canada

I have been in contact with DJI and I have been informed that the update and the new registration process will NOT limit your flying in any way.

You will only be limited if you don't go through the registration.  Once you register NO NEW limitations will be placed on your flying.  So this is truly a NON event.
2017-5-20
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fans6916e6f9 Posted at 2017-5-20 11:05
I have been in contact with DJI and I have been informed that the update and the new registration process will NOT limit your flying in any way.

You will only be limited if you don't go through the registration.  Once you register NO NEW limitations will be placed on your flying.  So this is truly a NON event.

Do we have a name from DJI to put with that,   as for many of us who rely on this equipment for our income/day job,  i have tried to get a name and failed myself, of anyone in a standing position within the company who will commit to that exact statement !
2017-5-20
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I remember one time, DJI assured me that my brand new mavic had shipped on Tuesday and I should be receiving it soon. A week later DJI said that the order was still prossesing?. Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see......
2017-5-20
Use props
EranR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 280515 ft
  • >>>
Israel

Hope you're right and this info is from a reliable source.
As far as firmware updates are concerned, if they come up with an update regarding this issue alone I will try to avoid updating. At least for the Mavic Pro, recent updates were not always OK.
2017-5-20
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Falkland Islands

What worries me is a few weeks ago for reasons unknown. With my P4 I had a geospatial mismatch error in DJI go. Was unable to fly. Wouldn't even start the props. A reboot sorted it but hoping this don't start a potential problem.
2017-5-20
Use props
fans6916e6f9
lvl.3
Canada

MikeQView Posted at 2017-5-20 11:13
Do we have a name from DJI to put with that,   as for many of us who rely on this equipment for our income/day job,  i have tried to get a name and failed myself, of anyone in a standing position within the company who will commit to that exact statement !

Yes I was talking to Brendan Schulman Vice President of Policy & Legal Affairs at DJI
https://www.linkedin.com/in/brendanschulman/
2017-5-20
Use props
fans6916e6f9
lvl.3
Canada

This is the transcript...
2017-5-20
Use props
fans6916e6f9
lvl.3
Canada

Buressy Posted at 2017-5-20 08:25
I need urgent help here. I am currently staying in France. At the end of next week I am leaving with the Mavic for an expedition in Northen Arctic Canada. I will not have internet connections while in this expedition.  What will happen to me. Will I be able to fly if I am not able to make the update?

If you have no data I don't see how it will know you need an update.  My understanding this is just going to be a software update on your phone and a login to the app not much more.  But you should contact DJI support to confirm.
2017-5-20
Use props
fansc15dc5fd
lvl.2
United States

I am sorry, but this simply makes no sense. Everyone who used his drone before already went through activation and registration. Why do they want everyone to re-registered?
Then, let's remember that the whole Mavic release campaign was nothing but disappointment.
Those who had to deal with support for warranty knows that it is, probably, the worst experience: not a single step in that process occur without contacting them in chat.
The update of sw bring new and new unpleasant surprises.

So now DJI is expecting us to believe the re-registration is a formality? Are you guys thinking we're stupid?
Your communication and the way you treat your customers is insulting.

I simply do not trust you anymore.
2017-5-20
Use props
fans6916e6f9
lvl.3
Canada

fansc15dc5fd Posted at 2017-5-20 11:50
I am sorry, but this simply makes no sense. Everyone who used his drone before already went through activation and registration. Why do they want everyone to re-registered?
Then, let's remember that the whole Mavic release campaign was nothing but disappointment.
Those who had to deal with support for warranty knows that it is, probably, the worst experience: not a single step in that process occur without contacting them in chat.

I 100% understand and respect your skepticism.  

I can only tell you what I was informed by someone at DJI who is in a position to know.  

Also I am not sure if you know who Brendan is and the fact he has a long history of fighting for the rights of RC flyers. Long before he worked for DJI he was the lawyer for  Raphael Pirker VS the FAA.  

So this is a guy with a lot of integrity who is well known and well respected by the RC community and knows the impact of what we are talking about.

Source: https://www.law360.com/articles/ ... landmark-drone-case

So if what i am being told is wrong that would be very shocking... But I totally understand your point because the way the original press release was written I also had issues and that is what made me want to reach out to Brendan for a clarification.  He has made the calcification now a few times in public groups on Facebook so I hope we are ok.  That said only time will tell for 100% sure... But I am feeling quite good that we should be fine.
2017-5-20
Use props
avbond
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7487 ft
United Kingdom

DJI is Becoming a joke in the way the handle everything , looks like Mavic is going up for sale , enough is enough , not enjoyable anymore !!
2017-5-20
Use props
JW5255
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5291158 ft
  • >>>
Canada

As a Canadian I am really concerned.  As others have said, if the DJI geofencing is going to reflect the interim rules recently released in Canada, the entire country will be a NFZ.  To add insult to possible injury, DJI will cause drastic flight restrictions if we don't update?  How is this not a threat !  Seriously, I thought I owned my drone.

DJI you have been reminding me of this update for a few days every time that I use DJI Go.  Please provide some clarification.  You're stressing people out.
2017-5-20
Use props
bomberuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

this is such a bad idea DJI ebay will be full of your drones soon ;)
2017-5-20
Use props
fansf5f0f0fc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3340 ft
France

Hi,
I read this :

" The 50/30m limit is to limit operations until the activation is performed, so we are sure you have the right stuff for your country".

I point out that this "stuff" is designed for MY country.  

What if I want to fly in a FOREIGN country ?
Does the "stuff" suddenly becomes wrong ? Does it stay "right" and I can fly like in MY country ?
And if it become wrong for that location, what happens ?

For a sake of clarity, suppose I upgrade in France, where I live. Then in ten days, I take a plane for a trip in Canada with my Mavic filled of "French stuff". What happens if I decide to fly a little bit over the Canadian forest with this French stuff ? Precisely ?
2017-5-20
Use props
JpNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 428245 ft
Netherlands

@DJI-Joe

Imagine.
I buy a car that can drive 200 km / h.
That's not allowed.
But I do that ...
Then I get a ticket for a speed violation.
The manufacturer does not have to interfere with this.
That is not their responsibility.
You are responsible for your own actions.
Do not want that, Toyota could stop all cars at a distance at the moment they want...
Are you sure DJI ?

2017-5-20
Use props
fansbdcccd8b
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

what is all this about?
2017-5-20
Use props
fansbdcccd8b
Second Officer
United States

I just had my drone destroyed by a firmware update  Will this destroy my other one ?
2017-5-20
Use props
fans67c6c7f8
New
United States

My mavic will not update to the new firmware.  I 've tried all the resets and even the assitant.  Is this because the new app release coming out?  Thanks
2017-5-20
Use props
fansbdcccd8b
Second Officer
United States

Good luck fans67c6c7f8, My update cost me over $200. When trying to straighten this out with DJI repair, I was totally ignored
2017-5-20
Use props
fansa850a1b2
New
Flight distance : 286946 ft
Australia

Hi. I have received a message on my Mavic Drone when I turn it on. Update DJI Go 4 next week. I live in Australia and will be in Thailand on holiday for 2 weeks when this happens. Do I update in Thailand or wait till I'm back to Australia. This will screw up my holiday. I plan on flying my drone in Thailand. Can DJI answer some of the questions on this forum please.
2017-5-20
Use props
E-Copter
lvl.2

France

Good afernoon,

some customers contated me regarding this anouncment as i sell DJI stuff, and i would like to share a few infos and the fact that many of you are misunderstanding the GEO feature as i had to tell my own customers getting nuts from what they did read on various forums / social netowrks.

First of all, please check first the GEO infos at DJI and read it fully, so some of you going for vacations to Thailand or other places might feel much better, as GEO is not available everywhere (at the moment..)

http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system

Then, the process should be just at updates in order to validate each update ( software or firmware), once. Honnestly, when performing an update you need anyway an internet connection to download the firmware/ software so you have internet anyway, and nowadays eveybody has a data connection on his cellphone available anyway..

And you will read also that you cann plan up to 30 flights in advance... So where is the problem?

They even write that yes, the system might not be perfect for some casesas there are so many informations to take into consideration and not always available, then, you can still send an email to them if you believe you are authorised to fly..

Lastly, the fact that DJI tries to bring their drones more " law compliant" is a good thing. Maybe some complain today because they have to unlock a zone in order to do a job i a specific place, but these same would complain why DJI did not do anything the day one of their drone will be used for a bad reason..

It is clear that due to some videos posted on internet with people flying FPV for miles with Mavic or Phantom or Inspire, over people, over roads, over houses, and finding themselve very proud of what they did, it is a good thing that GEO system is implemented after all. Yes sometimes it can be bothering for some reasons, but when working with your drone, it's part of the job to manage these things..

Drones are not cars, they are not limited to roads, and can do much more damage or represent a true danger ( without even getting in details with all the bad things Drones are used for sometimes...).

So either a compromise is found from manufacturers in order to give a minimum of safety upfront authorities, and help to maintain drones sales authorisations,  either some day drones will be banned, simply.

When it was just RC planes and helicopters, you needed to really know how to fly without external references ( compass, GPS). With all the assistances now, Mr Anybody can fly anything anywhere and as people are not always able to follow the rules, at some time, a mimimum of supervision is needed to avoid big troubles... Paparazzis are unfortunatly also an example of wrong things to do with a Drone to get " the shot"..

So,  lot of complains / fears for not so much, at least there is  a little warning so you now what to do to ensure continous flights, with more flight time, more range and more abilities, it is for me legit that a manufacturer takes care a minimum of third parties safety

So i would just say, keep cool, it's nothing bad at all for legit flyers ane even if there is a littel risk for hic ups at the begining, this wil be quickly solved for sure..

BEst regards,
Fabien
2017-5-20
Use props
fars
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48455 ft
Malaysia

Returning my mavic! Good luck dji! May your company fall in ruin
2017-5-20
Use props
fans1fee6218
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9908 ft
United States

geofox784 Posted at 2017-5-19 16:13
"flight functions for that region"

yes restriction per government body in that region will be enforced.  for the USA 122 meters.  I never fly above 122 meters anyway because I follow the law though I assume some programmers will attempt to break the DJI codes to unlimited functions.  Seem that in my Audi car, I purchased the technology package for several thousands, however, other people Brough the base package and attempt to re-code the Audi programming to obtain the technology package for free,
2017-5-20
Use props
Bond006
lvl.2
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-5-19 13:44
I received my mavic in November of 2016 and after it became fully functional with firmware update.400 I have no need for further updates. When I bought this mavic I didn't count on a life long relationship with DJI. I gave DJI money, I received my mavic now I wish to be left alone...

The technology, which employs geospatial data from Santa Monica, California-based AirMap.  Blame the USA for this new restriction.  The usual prisons, natural  disasters, such as wild fires, first responders, prisons, sporting events will be enhanced, however, I am not certain about line of sight.  To cross fields I have to fly over highways, I just fly over it and continue to the field.  If this Update is too restrictive (In Canada, you are prohibited from flying just about anywhere), I will not purchase any more DJI products.  All of the users flights are recorded on DJI's servers anyway, so DJI knows the "bad" people from the "good" ones, however, they are going to treat all like they are "Bad", another remote aircraft company will take its place as number 1.
2017-5-20
Use props
Bond006
lvl.2
United States

Elektrica Posted at 2017-5-19 14:29
Are we looking at upcoming restrictions?

restrictions per the government of your country such as Prisons, natural disasters, first responder areas, events such as in stadiums and such.  Canada, they basically cannot fly anywhere per federal law, so this update if applied to Canadian's law, will render droning in-operable in that country.
2017-5-20
Use props
fansc15dc5fd
lvl.2
United States

Oh, come on. Cut this BS about using drones to do bad things. I mean how many times that actually happened? Maybe, because there are easier ways, really.
I flew my 2 pound glider at a farm for years and never had issues. And now I would have to call 6 helipads and an airport to do the same.
So if you tell that for a sake of safety I have to make those stupid calls for an hour - kiss my folding prop. It changes nothing.
I am a responsible flier. I even got the radio amateur license to use >25mw transmitters. And I can assure you that the regulations are just rediculuosly excessive.
They will never stop bad folks, but will complicate hobbyist's life to a point where it's easier to quit hobby.
It's nowadays witch hunting.

Oh, by the way, when I tried to troubleshoot freaking Mavic video jello I had to recalibrate everything and then try to hover for a minute. So, guess what? I live in a 5 Mike's radius from an airport! So dji doesn't care if I'm indoors. It won't let me start the motors. Do I really have to drive 30 minutes to give it a try? Well, kiss my faulty gimbal if you feel like I do.
Again, all those bells and whistles does not make it safer. Spend the effort on research and fighting hunger... Or so something that makes sense.
Sincerely,
Responsible flyer
2017-5-20
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

fansc15dc5fd Posted at 2017-5-20 19:58
Oh, come on. Cut this BS about using drones to do bad things. I mean how many times that actually happened? Maybe, because there are easier ways, really.
I flew my 2 pound glider at a farm for years and never had issues. And now I would have to call 6 helipads and an airport to do the same.
So if you tell that for a sake of safety I have to make those stupid calls for an hour - kiss my folding prop. It changes nothing.

The one thing I hope that they DO take care of is when you ARE indoors flying,  get a stray gps signal saying you are in New York or some other place it doesn't try to land or make you say I have permission to fly here.. I am in class G airspace, and when I was doing testing between my P4P and my P4 - my P4 (which acquires GPS signals faster and more reliably I will say) kept coming up with those warnings when I was just hovering in my apartment (it's big and on the second floor)..  My P4P never acquired a signal so It never complained..

In the screen shot of the conversation above I saw something about people trying to circumvent GPS with aluminum foil... Is this new software/hardware update going to make it where you can't fly indoors now too??
2017-5-20
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Bond006 Posted at 2017-5-20 19:33
The technology, which employs geospatial data from Santa Monica, California-based AirMap.  Blame the USA for this new restriction.  The usual prisons, natural  disasters, such as wild fires, first responders, prisons, sporting events will be enhanced, however, I am not certain about line of sight.  To cross fields I have to fly over highways, I just fly over it and continue to the field.  If this Update is too restrictive (In Canada, you are prohibited from flying just about anywhere), I will not purchase any more DJI products.  All of the users flights are recorded on DJI's servers anyway, so DJI knows the "bad" people from the "good" ones, however, they are going to treat all like they are "Bad", another remote aircraft company will take its place as number 1.

I don't think it is going to keep you from crossing over the highway - just look both ways before crossing..
2017-5-20
Use props
fans681ac1c1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 550548 ft
France

Following...
2017-5-20
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I just can't believe how many irresponsible people are now flying drones and it is possibly because it is easier to ignore the rules with a drone as it has vertical takeoff.
Here in my country and this probably applies to many others, if you want to fly RC model aircraft, then you need to join a club, obtain insurance, be trained and licensed. You can fly from a field with the owner's permission but you still need to be licensed and insured. Because aircraft and gliders need more room to take off and land, no one does it in the street. Most countries have introduced separate rules for drones which are far more lenient and consequently we have thousands of untrained people flying these things anywhere they like.
I have no problem with what DJI is doing and I really hope it helps to keep people from flying in places where they should not. Somewhere along the line, people have to start acting more responsibly otherwise we will all end up losing some of the freedoms we already have.
2017-5-20
Use props
morpheus2480
lvl.1
Singapore

Can someone from DJI please carify what this update mean? No offense to DJI Joe but we would prefer and official statment rather than an interpretation from a forum admin.

2017-5-20
Use props
Hexacopter
lvl.4

Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-5-20 21:48
I just can't believe how many irresponsible people are now flying drones and it is possibly because it is easier to ignore the rules with a drone as it has vertical takeoff.
Here in my country and this probably applies to many others, if you want to fly RC model aircraft, then you need to join a club, obtain insurance, be trained and licensed. You can fly from a field with the owner's permission but you still need to be licensed and insured. Because aircraft and gliders need more room to take off and land, no one does it in the street. Most countries have introduced separate rules for drones which are far more lenient and consequently we have thousands of untrained people flying these things anywhere they like.
I have no problem with what DJI is doing and I really hope it helps to keep people from flying in places where they should not. Somewhere along the line, people have to start acting more responsibly otherwise we will all end up losing some of the freedoms we already have.

I fly from private property. I don't need a licence or a club. Homeowner's insurance covers my liabilty, public liability for paid (CASA) approved work.

The issue is with the local private gun club where I fly the targets as this new 'geofencing' (Gun Club = NFZ) means that we cannot use Mavics as targets and they are our biggest charity earner ($100 a shot).

When did dji assume the role of global flight censor and on whose authority?

* Hexacopter *

2017-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules