DJI Updates Process For Activating Software And Firmware Updates
60119 573 2017-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
adiru
lvl.2
United States

fanse9cc569c Posted at 2017-5-22 09:10
lol   just listen to yourselfs lol  and none of you know nothing about what the new update will bring

Dropbox - DJI Remote Identification Whitepaper 3-22-17.pdf
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v4lkyr ... %203-22-17.pdf?dl=0
Just read it.
2017-5-22
Use props
towheaded-pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35125 ft
  • >>>
United States

geofox784 Posted at 2017-5-19 16:13
"flight functions for that region"

There are no altitude restrictions in the US. 400ft is just a guideline. Nothing else.
2017-5-22
Use props
Rhidz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 559616 ft
United Kingdom

I'm going to be limited in flying regardless, and no doubt as time goes on it's going to get more and more restricted to the point where I will have to travel hours to use my drone. If I would've known this 3 months ago, I wouldn't be an owner of a Mavic. Really disappointing.
2017-5-22
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

I love it how DJI are introducing controls/restrictions on the one hand, and on the other featuring videos on the homepage of their forum that show people flying around Miami, New York, stadiums and so on. Ironic, no?
2017-5-22
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
Flight distance : 412835 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI is making drones less and less fun.  Yuneec will be getting my business going forward.  I was just about to buy the Goggles and an Inspire, that's not happening until we have definitive clarification and examples of how it will really work.   I bought the Typhoon H because of DJI BS.  Now I'm looking at the Doobie rather than the Spark because I have no idea what DJI may do next.  
2017-5-22
Use props
Rhidz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 559616 ft
United Kingdom

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-5-22 09:24
I love it how DJI are introducing controls/restrictions on the one hand, and on the other featuring videos on the homepage of their forum that show people flying around Miami, New York, stadiums and so on. Ironic, no?

Lol, yeah I did wonder how some of these video's managed to slide their way onto the forums when I have definitely seen a fare share of people calling others out for flying in area's they shouldn't be.
2017-5-22
Use props
DarrenE
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Given the rise in drone capabilities and the ever decreasing price-point at which they're arriving, together with their increased use by certain fanatical groups, the potential threat to public safety and national security posed by drones is on the increase,

It shouldn't suprise too many people if, as a market leader in the industry DJI are in the vanguard to increase the safeguards and accountability for using its products. This is clearly going to come with some compromises for us as end users. I was planning on taking my drone to Portugal for the next two weeks to get some footage -so this couldn't really have come at a worse time personally speaking. I have no idea how it'll react but I'm sure I'll work something out. If not, so be it.

We can choose to adapt to the situation or not, but if these changes become backed by legislation, no amount of foot stamping and threatening is going to make them go away.

Clearly, this isn't going to prevent someone who wants to do harm from building their own drone and flying it, but it does make that person much more traceable and accountable going forwards if they use a DJI product
2017-5-22
Use props
Stanley.Y
lvl.1
Taiwan

Phantomski Posted at 2017-5-22 08:53
Gosh people.. what is the worry? If u fly in legal area there will be no change! If u r flying in a no fly zone, with no authorization, you should not fly there.. what is the big hoopla?
No it will not affect Litchi! Litchi is an app written on API provided by DJI, DJI is NOT taking that away!
The drone will NOT FLY in no fly zone. If you have no internet u r done; if you have clearance to fly there,  you will need internet so that system can check that you are authorized! This applies only to yellow zones. For a red zone authorization there's a special process to unlock it.

What I care is I can't stay at 200 FW ....
DJI have no right to force me to update .......especially new FWs all looks like Beta version {:4_154:}
2017-5-22
Use props
fans22bf09e8
lvl.1
United States

This is all very confusing. Can someone please clarify something for me. I will be out of any kind of cellular range filming with my mavic starting Saturday the 27th, will everything suddenly stop working or be limited to a few feet off the ground??? What are the exact dates for this update we need to do.
2017-5-22
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3502972 ft
  • >>>
United States

So this means that DJI will be liable if the the App allows me to fly in an area recently restricted by local authorities and not updated by DJI?  I just want to know where to point the lawyers.
2017-5-22
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ARMONI319 Posted at 2017-5-22 05:52
Hello all,
I have flown my Phantoms and all my RC aircraft in a very responsible way according to the regulations. I simply don't like the way DJI is manipulating things. Definitely I will not update anything. My Phantoms are mine. They are not rented. I payed a good amount of money for them. To obey local regulations is my responsibility. I was planning to buy a P4 Pro or Mavic. Not anymore. I don't want to be forced or manipulated in any way. Much less in a Hobby.  Bye Bye DJI.

Thats the way Im feeling about the M200 now.
2017-5-22
Use props
Car147
lvl.3
Flight distance : 180351 ft
United Kingdom

Does this mean after forking out £400 on a IPad Mini4 WiFi I will no longer be able to use it away from a internet source? Or is the Internet only required for the update and  activation ? I will be severely annoyed  if it's the former.
2017-5-22
Use props
fallsilent
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336709 ft
Canada

fans22bf09e8 Posted at 2017-5-22 09:49
This is all very confusing. Can someone please clarify something for me. I will be out of any kind of cellular range filming with my mavic starting Saturday the 27th, will everything suddenly stop working or be limited to a few feet off the ground??? What are the exact dates for this update we need to do.

No, it will work fine. Put your tablet or phone in airplane mode to be safe and don't update the DJI Go 4 app or the firmware.
2017-5-22
Use props
STELIOS1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1079 ft
Greece

Never had it for some reason! . . .  

2017-5-22
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Gosh people.. what is the worry? If u fly in legal area there will be no change! If u r flying in a no fly zone, with no authorization, you should not fly there.. what is the big hoopla?
No it will not affect Litchi! Litchi is an app written on API provided by DJI, DJI is NOT taking that away!
The drone will NOT FLY in no fly zone. If you have no internet u r done; if you have clearance to fly there,  you will need internet so that system can check that you are authorized! This applies only to yellow zones. For a red zone authorization there's a special process to unlock it.

If you fly in mountains you'll soon learn about the 500 meter above the transmitter limit making almost all DJI products useless for mountain SAR, cell site inspections on mountain tops and radio tower inspections.
2017-5-22
Use props
fans22bf09e8
lvl.1
United States

fallsilent Posted at 2017-5-22 10:01
No, it will work fine. Put your tablet or phone in airplane mode to be safe and don't update the DJI Go 4 app or the firmware.

Thanks! I was worried about getting out to the middle of nowhere, hike/running to a desolate location to shoot and it not working, eek haha. Will do, thanks!
2017-5-22
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

Dear DJI,

I bought a Mavic from you,.....great value for money.
The drone is mine,.....not yours,...mine.

You provide some software so i can make some nice footage,.....oh did i mentioned the drone is MINE, not yours.
By the way,....why does the software wants access to my contacts, telephone, camera, make direct calls, download files without my knowledge etc etc?
I guess it's because you care soo much about me,...........what else could be the reason?

I know there are some incompetent lawmakers who cannot handle this new drone technology.
However your care for me has a limit,............it's not your responsiblity,..........oh by the way the drone is mine,..not yours DJI,.....THE MAVIC IS MINE.
So if i wanna fly it down the chimney of my own house and set it on fire,....i can,.....cause it's mine!!!!

So let me give you a small advice
Just stick to what made you great, making innovative technology.
And stay away from the role of lawmakers.

Who ever thought this oldy would one day become priceless.
Thanks DJI!!!!!

back to the future

back to the future
2017-5-22
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

Mcflying Posted at 2017-5-22 10:20
Dear DJI,

I bought a Mavic from you,.....great value for money.

Trump needs to call Comey and get some back channel going to have someone in the NSA leak the DJI firmware

The Mavic hardware is top notch
Pity we don't have jailbroken/rooted "free range" firmware  like we do with smart phones or even custom firmware like how we can put on our Canon DSLR cameras.

DJI is not judge, jury, and executioner. DJI does not have the legal authority to enforce the law. DJI do not get into politics.
Speeding kills countless folks every year, does that mean Toyota and Ford need to install a chip in our cars to control our limit speed?!?!?! I think not.

Firearms kills people in bigly numbers every year, does this mean we should have gun manufacturers embed GPS tracking and disable the firing pin when in a "no gun zone"?
Hasn't happened yet.

DJI, you say you aspire to be like Apple. Well Apple bent backwards to come to the defense and protection of its end users privacy when the CEO of Apple publicly and in court challenged the US FBI and Director Comey when it came to encryption issue of a phone used by a terrorists. DJI, you seem bent only on how you can proactively  be an enforcement arm of governments and law enforcement agencies alike and that you would be all too happy to snitch on your customers at the earliest available oppurtunity.

2017-5-22
Use props
serezha
New
Russia

Китай собрался бороться с мировым террором путём ограничения прав покупателей Фанотомов? Как вы себе представляете этот механизм? Сейчас дрон ориентируется с помощью десятков спутников джириэс.  Дрон видит спутник, а не спутник дрон. Выдать команду на фантом для ограничения его возможности - это блеф. Для этого Китаю придётся запустить, и не один, спутник для отлова всех фантомов по Миру. Скорее всего это просто блеф, и возможно не китайский.
2017-5-22
Use props
fansbf0c2001
lvl.1
Germany

DJI, please dont make wrong decisions now. No one will buy a car that cannot drive faster than it currently displayed on a traffic sign. Make warnings, but no strict  restrictions.
I you do, a lot of people will demand money back because features that are present at the time a device was purchased must be guaranteed.

Forced updates - a big NO NO anyway
2017-5-22
Use props
Dmitry495
lvl.3
Flight distance : 791194 ft
Russia

Thanks. I will remember this
2017-5-22
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

eggbeater Posted at 2017-5-22 10:08
If you fly in mountains you'll soon learn about the 500 meter above the transmitter limit making almost all DJI products useless for mountain SAR, cell site inspections on mountain tops and radio tower inspections.

I still go to the tower to make a survey, I'd never do it without goor LOS... so i do not have the issue with altitude limit.... Same with SAR - which I do not do, but know SAR from my workplace.. Again.. u get to a place where it's LOS and then u do not have to go above 500m... It may happen sometimes, but can also be remedied easily in most cases....
2017-5-22
Use props
fans0cdccbeb
New
United States

I just got back from a trip in Puerto Rico and 90% of the time I was flying I had no cell service because my phone company (Verizon) has very limited connection there. Does this mean if I ever decide to visit family there again and I do not have active cell service I will be restricted? Considering some of the best views from your drones come from places where you may not get cell reception (i.e. mountain ranges), this is a bad call. It breaks my heart to say this but if this is the case my Mavic will be listed on eBay and I will spend my hard earned money elsewhere if I can't find a way around these ridiculous restrictions. In exchange for our money you gave us a product with specifications that we expect to use. You are not a governing body, stick to what you do best and make drones or lose you customer base. Won't be long before another company makes a decent Mavic clone.
2017-5-22
Use props
firefly3630
New
Flight distance : 21663 ft
United States

The Roach Posted at 2017-5-22 08:46
Typhoon H from Yuneec

1+ Yeah remembering it here as well. just bought mavic and regret big time. I'm 67 yo and life is too short for this kind of bait and switch. Someone's lawyers are going to get rich!
2017-5-22
Use props
Lawrence Clift
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4405981 ft
United Kingdom

I will be flying in Spain later this with with minimal internet coverage so I may not be able to update. I received an email from DJI today saying that the update will be released later this week although, in this thread, it states at the end of next week. Could someone from DJI please confirm the release date? Thanks.
2017-5-22
Use props
Dronaldo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 606601 ft
United States

what is the reason of this change.  
as many other user replied.  looks like DJI trying to impose restrictions on where to fly.  Pillots should be responsible and take necessary messures to avoid breaking rules and local regulations.    I dont think is correct for DJI trying to impose restrictions.

I flight to 10+ different countries what is going to happen with my drone?  I'm going to be able to use the drone outside the US??
2017-5-22
Use props
Officewallah
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34869 ft
United States

morpheus2480 Posted at 2017-5-22 07:56
Gizmodo article

"This is actually a really responsible move on DJI’s part. By impelling customers to log in to their DJI accounts and activate the latest firmware for their drones, the company will be able to sync up each device with the specific regulations of the country where it’s being operated. (Note: Customers in China, where DJI is headquartered, won’t be required to go through this new activation process.)"

Maybe.... if they had done this from the start! This is not about the rules at this point, that horse has already left the stable. This is about people who have purchased something under a certain premise (right or wrong) and that premise is now being changed without the consent of the owner. Do it on new machines and clearly state that upfront, but do not do this after purchase. Anywhere else this would called "bait and switch"!
2017-5-22
Use props
Officewallah
lvl.2
United States

Your opinion, but not held by the vast majority!! I refer back to many previous posts... this is not what we bought!!
2017-5-22
Use props
Przemek
New
Germany

Is taht mean that when I'll be in the middle of the ocean without internet connection I will be not able to use my drone in full ? (I'm seamen.)
2017-5-22
Use props
Officewallah
lvl.2
United States

fanse9cc569c Posted at 2017-5-22 09:10
lol   just listen to yourselfs lol  and none of you know nothing about what the new update will bring

Nor do you...!!!

I think that is the problem. Not good communication, a posted Q&A, web chat etc. would have helped, maybe addressing these sorts of questions.
2017-5-22
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
Flight distance : 412835 ft
  • >>>
United States

adiru Posted at 2017-5-21 20:57
Yeah this whitepaper, Dropbox - DJI Remote Identification Whitepaper 3-22-17.pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v4lkyr2kdp8ukvx/DJI%20Remote%20Identification%20Whitepaper%203-22-17.pdf?dl=0

You should have copied and posted.  The link has been removed.
2017-5-22
Use props
PacoSaiso
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1201132 ft
Mexico

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-5-22 09:24

Are you aware that those flight featured by DJI were done legally by getting all necessary permits?, Where is the contradiction on that? All restrictions in DJI can be lifted if you go through the proper channels, get the right permissions and send the info to DJI, they will lift the restrictions in your app for the drone mentioned in the paperwork for as long as the permit is valid.
2017-5-22
Use props
Officewallah
lvl.2
United States

fallsilent Posted at 2017-5-22 10:01

Why should I have to do this? Seems strange to me that I have find work arounds to something that didn't exist at the time I bought my product.
2017-5-22
Use props
Gilur
lvl.1
Flight distance : 136716 ft
Israel

Guys,
Too many things bring up red lights to my head:
1st of all, even today DJI implies a GEO system. We all get NFZ warnings and such - Why bother and bring up a new system if it should do the same ?.. the "extra" data could be pulled from the existing system.
2nd, When you start to fly the system knows your location and it reads the relevant GEO data online. so technically, that would have been the most accurate data to relay on. why should they even 'look' through my profile if you know my exact location?
3rd, Every now and then there's an update and we don't have to verify ourselves. The fact that this time they force us to re-login seems to me like they want to verify who owns what drone (serial number vs owner and such..)

I must say that I don't feel comfortable with this issue even if my Mavic will behave the same on the day after.
Personally, as many people stated here: I'm the only one responsible for my behavior. I don't think that DJI should enforce rules,

I was actually really looking forward to seeing Mavic Pro ii comes out and I can state many things I'd like to see there (Like - all around collision sensors, the ability to take pictures without stopping video, recording audio from the quad and much more)
However - with this approach by DJI - I'm not sure I'll buy it even if it will be so nice

SAD

2017-5-22
Use props
PacoSaiso
lvl.2
Mexico

Stanley.Y Posted at 2017-5-22 09:49
What I care is I can't stay at 200 FW ....
DJI have no right to force me to update .......especially new FWs all looks like Beta version

There is not one single mention anywhere that the upcoming update is mandatory, How is DJI forcing you to do anything? where did you come up with that? Are you stating as fact something that is just a mere suposición on your part or do you have any real basis for that complaint?
2017-5-22
Use props
PacoSaiso
lvl.2
Mexico

Przemek Posted at 2017-5-22 12:18
Is taht mean that when I'll be in the middle of the ocean without internet connection I will be not able to use my drone in full ? (I'm seamen.)

Hi, it does not mean that, you do not need an internet connection to fly, You just need an internet connection to do the update, (if you choose to do it) and after updating you'll need to input you password to validate it, it's a one time thing, you don't have to do it every time you fly
2017-5-22
Use props
chalde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dronaldo Posted at 2017-5-22 12:01
as many other user replied.  looks like DJI trying to impose restrictions on where to fly.  Pillots should be responsible and take necessary messures to avoid breaking rules and local regulations.    I dont think is correct for DJI trying to impose restrictions.

This seems to be one of the big ongoing issues that needs big time clarification.
While many don't seem to have an issue with the activation process, for the rest of us, who travel to remote places where there are no internet connection, are we effectively grounded in those locations if we ever update/activate?

Let's say I activate in my country of residence. Then fly 200 miles out in the desert, no internet. What happens then? Does the drone will still  work as purchased?
If I travel to a different country, same situation, no internet, what will happen there in this case?

GPS lock is one thing and that's fine, but crippling my drone because I can't connect online is very different.

2017-5-22
Use props
PanaceaBeachBum
lvl.2
United States

Car147 Posted at 2017-5-22 09:58
Does this mean after forking out £400 on a IPad Mini4 WiFi I will no longer be able to use it away from a internet source? Or is the Internet only required for the update and  activation ? I will be severely annoyed  if it's the former.

Same exact situation here
2017-5-22
Use props
PacoSaiso
lvl.2
Mexico

Dronaldo Posted at 2017-5-22 12:01

Hi, DJI cannot create or impose flight restrictions, only governments can do that, DJI has no control over the airspace of any place in the world. Do you actually think DJI has authority over the US government?? Really? The only thing DJI is doing is including in the warnings and notifications in their app all flight rules and restrictions that apply to the region where the drone is registered to make the pilot responsible of their own actions. Their announcement clearly states: "All existing flight safety limitations, such as geofencing boundaries and altitude limits, remain the same". Please explain what restrictions you have in good authority they are imposing.
2017-5-22
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dmitry495 Posted at 2017-5-22 10:56
Thanks. I will remember this

I hope you will like its 1-mile range. Really, DJI can do this because of there no one else big as them.
2017-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules