Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Appeals court struck down drone registery requirement
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

It was announced today that an appeals court judgment struck down the recent FAA requirment of registering your drone.
If you have a drone now or plan on buying one in the near future, you won't have to register it.

I think this is awesome. For you all that live in the USA. Way to go... ;-)
FAA Drone Registration Rule Shot Down by Appeals Court

The agency is currently reviewing the decision and weighing its options.

On Friday, a Washington D.C. court ruled that the FAA’s 2015 small unmanned aircraft (UAS) registration rule violates the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012. Under the rule, owners of drones weighing between .55 and 55 pounds were required to register their aircraft, because, as then-U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said in the original statement, “unmanned aircraft enthusiast are aviators, and with that title comes a great deal of responsibility.”

However, recreational drone hobbyist John Taylor argued that drones qualify as “model aircraft,” which are protected from the FAA’s regulations by the 2012 act. The appeals court agreed, as circuit judge Brett Kavanaugh wrote: "Taylor does not think that the FAA had the statutory authority to issue the Registration Rule and require him to register. Taylor is right."
The emphasis of the 2015 registration rule was on education and awareness for recreational drone pilots, and giving the FAA “an opportunity to work with these users to operate their unmanned aircraft safely.” The agency rolled out a website for quick and easy registration, and more than 800,000 drones have been registered with a $5 application fee since that day.
Taylor told MarketWatch last week that he believes enforcement and education for responsible drone use is necessary, but the registration process as an educational tool for recreational drone users was ultimately “bogus,” because it’s too quick.
In response to the decision, the FAA released the following statement:

We are carefully reviewing the U.S. Court of Appeals decision as it relates to drone registrations. The FAA put registration and operational regulations in place to ensure that drones are operated in a way that is safe and does not pose security and privacy threats. We are in the process of considering our options and response to the decision.

“This opinion suggests the FAA is precluded from regulating in any way the operation of drones used for recreational purposes,” said Patrick Byrnes, a partner in the Locke Lord law firm’s litigation department and member of the Aviation and Defense Group. “Separate and apart from this decision, there are potential further constitutional challenges to the FAA’s regulatory authority over the commercial use of drones below 500 ft. and, in particular, on private property.”
While the FAA's response is uncertain, the agency can appeal to the judges, or it can appeal to congress, which has already vowed to become more involved in unmanned aircraft regulations.

RedHotPoker

2017-5-19
Use props
ibuyufo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 819098 ft
United States

Are you not afforded more protection if your model aircraft is considered an unmanned aircraft such that if someone were to shoot it down it would be a felony?
2017-5-19
Use props
fans090ece13
lvl.1
United States

ibuyufo Posted at 2017-5-19 16:26
Are you not afforded more protection if your model aircraft is considered an unmanned aircraft such that if someone were to shoot it down it would be a felony?

If that were true, then that person that shot down that drone in Kentucky would have had to pay fines...  It didn't happen though.  The court ruled that he was in the right...
2017-5-19
Use props
ibuyufo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 819098 ft
United States

fans090ece13 Posted at 2017-5-19 19:08
If that were true, then that person that shot down that drone in Kentucky would have had to pay fines...  It didn't happen though.  The court ruled that he was in the right...

Well, that's weak sauce!  If his cow trespassed into my property and I shot it so I could have steak night then I would be arrested for sure!
2017-5-19
Use props
Sam H
First Officer
United States

ibuyufo Posted at 2017-5-19 20:09
Well, that's weak sauce!  If his cow trespassed into my property and I shot it so I could have steak night then I would be arrested for sure!

Steak tastes better than a drone...
just my $.02
2017-5-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Did you try it with Canadian Maple Syrup? ;-)
DJI phantastic !! Hahaha

I hope some of the recent Canadian drone restrictions and regulations are appealed soon too.... Chuckles

RedHotPoker
2017-5-20
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

FAA, I would like my 5 bucks back, NOW!!!!
2017-5-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

We seen in Canada what happens when governments politicians get involved in setting the rules for SUA , so it looks like congress is now going to get more involved, politicians depend on voters to get elected when they get elected they try to do the best for there constituents I wonder how many of them would like to see more restrictions on drones,  be careful what you wish for it might just come true..
2017-5-20
Use props
Sam H
First Officer
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-5-20 11:18

Yup where's my refund too, with interest please
2017-5-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-20 12:23
We seen in Canada what happens when governments politicians get involved in setting the rules for SUA , so it looks like congress is now going to get more involved, politicians depend on voters to get elected when they get elected they try to do the best for there constituents I wonder how many of them would like to see more restrictions on drones,  be careful what you wish for it might just come true..

For living in such a free country, we sure got roped with these latest drone restrictions.
So hopefully something will get done for us similar to the American release of registry.

This doesn't take away any of the regular restrictions and rules though.  

RedHotPoker
2017-5-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Sam H Posted at 2017-5-20 20:53
Yup where's my refund too, with interest please

Haha, you expect interest, from the government? Ha

You would be looking at cents, not dollars. ;-)

RedHotPoker

2017-5-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-5-20 11:18

Have you guys made any attempt at requesting the promised refund?

It may be up to you now, to get your deposit returned.

RedHotPoker
2017-5-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-5-22 13:15
For living in such a free country, we sure got roped with these latest drone restrictions.
So hopefully something will get done for us similar to the American release of registry.

Hopefully change for the best.
2017-5-22
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Captain
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

I, for one, am not that concerned either way for a $5 registration. I guess it could have been free...  What I AM concerned about is freedom to fly (in a safe manner) where I want to.   If regulations came down from Congress (who may not be too concerned about what WE (sUAS pilots) want), that we could only fly above property owned by us or restricted to special model aircraft zones, then that would be the end of my enjoyment in this hobby.
2017-5-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-5-22 15:06
I, for one, am not that concerned either way for a $5 registration. I guess it could have been free...  What I AM concerned about is freedom to fly (in a safe manner) where I want to.   If regulations came down from Congress (who may not be too concerned about what WE (sUAS pilots) want), that we could only fly above property owned by us or restricted to special model aircraft zones, then that would be the end of my enjoyment in this hobby.

Yes, well we just have to be more discreet. Take off from vacant vantage points, which aren't populated when you go there. Fly higher, to keep out of most people's pespective. I will fly one battery and move on, to a fresh locale. Four 20min. flights allows plenty of time to gather some great 4K video and pics.

RedHotPoker
2017-5-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-22 14:43
Hopefully change for the best.

We need to govern and police our own ranks.

Fly under the radar, or follow the strict rules.  Stay out of trouble, and don't bring any negative press. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-5-22
Use props
blackcrusader
First Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-5-22 19:35
We need to govern and police our own ranks.

Fly under the radar, or follow the strict rules.  Stay out of trouble, and don't bring any negative press. ;-)

I do not believe my drone has been spotted by any radar so far.
2017-5-23
Use props
Maxi3D
Captain
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think the FAA registration is the only thing that has kept congress from imposing laws regarding our hobby. Once it's gone, it's open season. The guy who filed the lawsuit against FAA might not have done us any favor.
2017-5-23
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Captain
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-5-22 19:35
Yes, well we just have to be more discreet. Take off from vacant vantage points, which aren't populated when you go there. Fly higher, to keep out of most people's pespective. I will fly one battery and move on, to a fresh locale. Four 20min. flights allows plenty of time to gather some great 4K video and pics.

Fly under the cover of darkness, radar absorbing paint, whisper props. Full stealth mode.
2017-5-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-5-23 02:53

That statement "flying under the radar", simply means to be in your best behaviour, or do it in private.

Bringing no ill will or negative attention to our hobby.  

Eh blackcrusader, I know you are not one of the bad apples... ;-)
Ok carry on...

RedHotPoker
2017-5-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-5-23 02:53

That statement "flying under the radar", simply means to be on your best behaviour, or do it in private.

Bringing no ill will or negative attention to our hobby.  

Eh blackcrusader, I know you are not one of the bad apples... ;-)
Ok carry on...

RedHotPoker
2017-5-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Maxi3D Posted at 2017-5-23 04:22
I think the FAA registration is the only thing that has kept congress from imposing laws regarding our hobby. Once it's gone, it's open season. The guy who filed the lawsuit against FAA might not have done us any favor.

Being Canadian, the American decisions don't affect us directly, but indirectly, they do.
Canadian legislators often follow our American neighbors decisions, so only time will tell where this all goes.

RedHotPoker
2017-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules