Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Holy Smo600' kes! My Mavic just went through the room.... Literal...
2692 32 2017-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans776cdb0f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 342726 ft
United States

I was bringing in my Mavic to land as the battery was getting low, and as I hovered for a moment getting ready to set her down she just took off straight up at full speed! I had no control, clipped the side of the house and broke one of the legs and the gimbal is all screwed up!

I've been noticing that the drone has been having a hard time holding it's position every once in a while.... Meaning I would send it straight up and notice it drifting off and even in sport mode I would just barely be able to get it to come back so I could bring her down. I checked the UAV weather at the time and the wind speed was no more than 10mph at 600' so I know it couldn't had been too much wind, I don't even remember getting a high wind warning. I've also been having a ton of problems getting the camera to focus and noticing the camera shuttering during ascent every once in a while. The focus problem is 100x worse in low light conditions. I really think something was wrong and maybe it was just intermittently showing it's ugly head until it decided to go full out wacky today.

Anyways, I sure hope DJI will do the right thing and replace my Mavic, I havn't heard many horror stories of them trying to cheap out on folks and it seems like they do the right thing.

I also have a P3 Pro that all of a sudden one day I lost total control of while aloft, a compass error flashed and luckily I was able to regain control and get it down, altough it came down fast and ended up tipping over as I sat her down. Now the IMU won't initialize and I just get the "IMU ERROR" message. I'm sending her back in as well, it's still under warranty and was a refurbished unit. Also hoping DJI does the right thing as well there. It's all in the flight data, they'll be able to see that I didn't crash the aircraft by being wreckless. I just really really really hate not being able to have either of my birds to be in the air with! Hopefully they'll get this resolved and back to me within a couple of weeks, that'd be fantastic.
2017-5-19
Use props
fans3c503773
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17927 ft
Canada

This winter, I had a very similar issue. Reading on the forums, it seemed I wasn't the only one. And from your story, it seems the problem is not fixed.

I was flying my drone out in a spot near the water. I had flown there previously without any issues whatsoever. On that day though, there were a lot of sudden and temporary "magnetic interference" warnings. It constantly reset the home location point, and at one time the drone actually tried to land on the water by itself before I could get the signal back and manually guide it to me. I was landing it manually, but a second before it touched the ground, I lost signal again and the drone went berserk, flew full speed ahead and up, and crashed into a concrete wall 30 feet away.

Upon review of my case and flight data, DJI ruled it a pilot mistake, saying I was not familiar with the return to home feature. I had to pay the full amount for repairs.

I'm really sorry this happened to you. Just know that you are not alone in this, and I hope DJI is working hard on this recurrent issue
2017-5-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If you want help just upload your logs here http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ and come back here and post the link.
2017-5-21
Use props
fans776cdb0f
lvl.1
United States

fans3c503773 Posted at 2017-5-21 06:13
This winter, I had a very similar issue. Reading on the forums, it seemed I wasn't the only one. And from your story, it seems the problem is not fixed.

I was flying my drone out in a spot near the water. I had flown there previously without any issues whatsoever. On that day though, there were a lot of sudden and temporary "magnetic interference" warnings. It constantly reset the home location point, and at one time the drone actually tried to land on the water by itself before I could get the signal back and manually guide it to me. I was landing it manually, but a second before it touched the ground, I lost signal again and the drone went berserk, flew full speed ahead and up, and crashed into a concrete wall 30 feet away.

I really hope DJI doesn't try this with me..... I've always heard they did the right thing by customers but hearing this from you makes me nervous they may try and pull one over on me.

The only thing is that my aircraft was at home, it was in the same spot 2' above it's takeoff spot so RTH shouldn't be kicking in, because, yes, it's already home! I'd say if they try and rule that on me then they need to update and fix that issue because I'd consider it a bug. The aircraft should never try and RTH if it's already home, land, yes I get that if the battery is about to totally die, I understand it going autonomous and landing but NEVER shooting off to it's RTH altitude to just come right back down.

There's no way it was my error on this, the aircraft was having glitches before this and I'll fight this one tooth and nail. I'm extremely experienced and I've never crashed any of my DJI aircraft.
2017-5-22
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

deliver some logs and stuff.
2017-5-22
Use props
SeaComms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 568222 ft
Australia

Yes, please upload the logs so we can see what happened.  I am thinking critical battery triggered RTH, however you should have received several warnings that RTH was about to cut in before it did.  The logs are the only way to work out exactly what happened and hopefully why.
2017-5-22
Use props
fans776cdb0f
lvl.1
United States

Yes it was low battery because I was bringing it in to land, although the battery level at the time was more than 10%. If it did initiate a RTH it shouldn't had done anything, because it was "home" already, there was no need for RTH to initiate. In this case it should be coded into the firmware that if the aircraft is already home and cannot support flight any longer it should initiate a smart landing, it shouldn't bolt to the RTH altitude, DJI is probably one of the most technologically advanced companies on the planet, the innovations they have come up with and expanded upon with help of SDK is truly amazing. There has had to be an enormous amount of crashes due to the RTH feature and through that DJI really should be able to code in common sense instructions for the aircraft.

In my case, common sense would be that if the aircraft is aloft in a critical battery level state, but is within say 15' of it's home, and at an altitude of 5', it should most definitely not initiate RTH, it should initiate assisted and safe landing if the battery levels will absolutely not sustain flight any longer. That's common sense and it would save many aircraft from being destroyed because I'm certain that I'm not the only person that's had this happen, most people have the problems and go along with the repair process and never document the experience on a forum, in fact it's a very small percentage of users that visit or post in the forums.
2017-6-1
Use props
fans776cdb0f
lvl.1
United States

Also an update on my P3, it's being covered under warranty, I suspect the IMU or GPS system failed, it was a refurbished unit. That's great news, now I just hope they study my logs and can use my case with my Mavic to better understand how RTH can be improved upon.

Just as a note, the Mavic was under assessment before the P3, but the P3 returned it's "covered under warranty" already. I suspect DJI is diving pretty deep into these logs to really understand why the aircraft would initiate RTH within 5' of it's home and at an altitude of 6'. As I said before, the aircraft had been having glitches before the accident. I believe that the GPS may have glitched or could had lost com due to something malfunctioning intermittently. In any case, DJI needs to use my accident to improve upon RTH.
2017-6-1
Use props
fans776cdb0f
lvl.1
United States

Just to give folks an update here and to express my extreme concern and caution of the RTH feature.

DJI assessed all my data and found me responsible for the damages. Now, let me tell you the rub, and why this is kind of scary.

I'm a certified remote pilot, I also have extensive knowledge of aviation and dealing with autonomous flight control.

The aircraft had acquired and maintained at least 12 satellites during the entire flight, it has ultrasonic sensors that work with the GPS to let it know how high it is off the ground, also, the stereo downward and forward facing cameras that allow it to find a nice place to land if it has to. With that said, my concern here with DJI was that while I agree it's great for the aircraft to take control in the event of a loss of link between the pilot and the aircraft, I don't however think the aircraft should follow the same RTH process when it's actually at home, 8' off the ground and in the process of being maneuvered for landing. This is what happened, I was in the process of landing the aircraft when it took control away from me and went into the same exact RTH process as though it had lost link with the pilot and was more than 100' away from it's home point.

Why would DJI do this? In my explanation I had complete control of the aircraft, was right beside it in a descent to land it and under my flight rules I'm supposed to maintain VLOS and only rely on the telemetry data if I've lost visual. Further, why would DJI have the same exact parameters for RTH if the aircraft is already home and at such a low altitude? This is extremely dangerous and it's a safety hazard. If someone had been near that aircraft when it took control away from me they could had been seriously injured if not fatally injured. DJI is probably the most technologically advanced company I've come across when it comes to this area, they are even more advanced in flight than some private aviation manufacturers. So, why would they overlook this? I personally feel it was just easier to apply the same RTH parameters to all facets when the aircraft was low of battery or when it lost signal with the pilot. But, this should not be, if it was a rush to get the Mavic out and even more of a rush to create DJI GO 4 it should had been suspended until all safety concerns were satisfied, especially with autonomous control, even more so when the aircraft takes control. Further, DJI has no idea what was going on, they were not there, all they have is flight data and that flight data shows the telemetry, why would someone not be more concerned about this? Would it take someone being fatally injured to have them really conduct safety simulations under all scenarios regarding RTH and autonomous control? I sure hope not, and by them not taking responsibility, that means that they didn't take my case seriously and they really don't care. I've already sent an email stating I'm referring this to the FAA because in my conversations with them one issue they do want to better understand is autonomous control and the safety around it. I only hope DJI get's serious after this complaint to the FAA because I am positive they will follow up with DJI over it. It pains me to do it, but I wasn't taken seriously, I wasn't even granted the chance to speak with the person making this assessment. That's a problem, maybe after all this it will spare future or current owners of basically all of DJI's aircraft the hell DJI has put me through and the Russian Roulette they're playing with peoples lives and well-being.

Regards,
2017-6-16
Use props
Pektusin
lvl.1
Canada

To me, it sounds exactly the same issue I had on my other copter with an APM controller before the developers fixed the GPS signal filtering. They added kalman filter so the intermittent GPS glitches do not send the copter away.  Otherwise, with GPS signal bouncing from surrounding objects, flight controller thinks it is suddenly far away from the Home and tries to compensate it. I'd be very surprised if DJI didn't have this implemented yet.
2017-6-16
Use props
fans776cdb0f
lvl.1
United States

Apparently it's not. Although, I was at the homepoint for at least 2 minutes before the descent, so in my case this makes even less sense as to why the aircraft would ascend to the RTH altitude.

This is simply a fault in the programming. I'm not sure if this has gotten overlooked or if not enough people have complained, but this is something that has to be fixed and DJI should be taking full responsibility here, it's totally unethical and careless for them not to. Monday I'm going to call my contact at the FAA and have them do an inquiry. If DJI took responsibility, fixed my aircraft and then told me they were planning on fixing this then I wouldn't have to waste my time in contacting the FAA and that's something I truly hate to do. I'd love for DJI to not take the greed route, but the larger a company gets the worse it can get in caring for it's customers. Too many projects they want to fund and they need speed in getting products to the production line to bring in that income. I'll add, we're talking about $168 here. How petty. Obviously this is their problem, and others are going to run into this as well, why not take responsibility, treat a patron and a commercial customer right, and fix the problem for future customers. It's just nuts.
2017-6-18
Use props
MavicBeginner
New
Flight distance : 25052 ft
Malaysia

This past weekend i had exactly the same issue three times. I let the drone hover about 3 feet above the ground to land and it suddenly took off and smashed into a wall. Second time i pressed Home and it went in the opposite direction towards a highway, i managed to press cancel and take it back manually, the thrird time i was hovering at about 20-30ft without touching anything and suddenly it took off and smashed into a building. This really concerns me as i was going to travel to Bali to take scenery shots but it looks like my plans are shattered as the Gimbal is broken and i'm worried my Mavic will just take off mid flight and smash into someting...
2017-6-18
Use props
fans776cdb0f
lvl.1
United States

As I've said, this is a major problem and DJI is failing to acknowledge it. What's going to happen is someone is going to be standing near one of these Drones, thinking that because they're landing it at home all is ok, and it's going to take off, hit them in the head and cause death or extreme harm. At least this is being put into record on a forum so that if need be a class action could be filed, or if someone does get killed or harmed there is precedent for them to sue the daylights out of DJI. I don't use the word sue lightly either, but in this case, DJI is truly failing to fix this problem and they don't care about it one bit.

Thank you for sharing and I encourage anyone else that this has happened to, to tell their story.
2017-6-20
Use props
fans776cdb0f
lvl.1
United States

Also remember, this is not just a Mavic issue, this is infecting every single DJI product, so please BE CAREFUL! The only way I know to protect yourself and aircraft is to completely turn off RTH and the collision avoidance. Just be careful folks, this could honestly end up killing someone.
2017-6-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans776cdb0f Posted at 2017-6-16 15:37
Just to give folks an update here and to express my extreme concern and caution of the RTH feature.

DJI assessed all my data and found me responsible for the damages. Now, let me tell you the rub, and why this is kind of scary.

First off sorry you didn't get a warranty repair.

But you are fully aware of what happens when you get low battery warning you get a full 10 seconds to take back control and land, if it was critical battery it would just have landed.
You say you are a certified pilot , so this is basic stuff, and although you have not explained what exactly happened , I am only surmising here from what you wrote, when you first posted I did ask you to put your log up and if you did this it would have been much easier to comment.

Regarding your aircraft being just 8 feet away form you , you said it shot straight up in the air presumably on RTH , you say this is dangerous if someone had have been close they could have been seriously injured. Again as a certified pilot it is your responsibility to make sure that people keep they're distance, and you shouldn't put this down to dji.

Let's take a scenario your on a boat and similar happens your drone is 8 feet away , same thing low battery would you then prefer it to land in the water, I can bet if this was going to be the case there would be many up in arms that dji allowed this to happen.

You also have an option to hover on your RTH .

For me as a certified pilot you didn't seem to have any plan for such a thing to happen, yet you had many options, but seemed to be taken by surprise by something you should have been aware of. All good pilots will have a plan for when something may go wrong and in this case I don't see any. And I think this is the way the FAA will see it.
2017-6-20
Use props
fans776cdb0f
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-20 15:52
First off sorry you didn't get a warranty repair.

But you are fully aware of what happens when you get low battery warning you get a full 10 seconds to take back control and land, if it was critical battery it would just have landed.

First off, you make it sound as though I am voicing my concerns for myself, that's not what I'm doing here. As a certified pilot I have a safety plan that protects myself as well as the safety of others as I am the RPIC. But, we are talking about a Mavic here, a bird in which a majority of who buys will be consumers, people that do not know all the suggestions and rules under part 107. Why would I gripe about this if it was only for the benefit of other part 107 pilots? Most of us have a safety plan and stick to it, that's not who I'm trying to help.

I've explained in great detail exactly what happened, please read the above post's by me, if you cannot derive what happened out of that I'd be glad to find some way to explain it to you in some other way?

In your suggestion of being on a boat and saying folks would be mad that DJI allowed their aircraft to fall in the water, it just doesn't make any sense to me. If you were flying over the water and were trying to land your aircraft back down on the boat and in the middle of that, the aircraft took control away from you and shot up to the RTH altitude how could this help? Now you've got to bring the aircraft back down again and risk really losing it because of a total loss in power/thrust. Do you understand what I'm talking about?

Let's use your analogy ok. Let's assume that you were anchored in a boat and you recorded your homepoint before take-off. You go up, fly around and now the battery is getting low so you decided to bring it in to land. So, while in the process of landing with let's say 5% battery, your aircraft is directly over the homepoint, it's no more than 8' away and you're just about to land it and then, zoom, it takes off to it's RTH altitude and now you've probably got 3% battery and you've got to get it back down and pray to God it really doesn't splash down. Do you see what I'm saying? Why would DJI have the same exact process for the RTH feature when you're at the homepoint as it does if you're say 100' away? That makes no sense. It's truly a hazard.

What if just recently a wife bought a dad a DJI drone for fathers day, he's read all the information and he's really anxious to go out and fly it with his son. So they take it up, and it's getting low on battery, being a novice the father is bringing it down to land slowly and probably standing pretty close because he doesn't really know any better, yet. Then let's say he gets it down and his son goes over beside him and is watching and the critical battery alarm signals RTH and it's jets off. How is that not a hazard? How can DJI be so cutting edge in all their design but not be able to tell the aircraft "when you're within 10' of your homepoint, use the smart landing if the battery is totally dead." Why would it instruct the aircraft to ascend to it's RTH altitude?? It makes absolutely no sense at all, none. It's a safety hazard and it needs to be corrected.

And also regarding the full 10 seconds, sometimes for a novice it takes a little longer to sit down a bird than it does a professional.
2017-6-20
Use props
fans79a9d393
lvl.1
United States

Why don't you post your flight logs here like many others do when incidents occur? I also think it's a bit overly dramatic with the constant "somebody is going to get killed" refrain.
When my Mavic goes into RTH mode I can stop it immediately from climbing to RTH preset altitude by simply lowering the throttle. Basically just move sticks to fly as normal and it overrides RTH.

Your case sound like a classic pilot error and DJI is not wanting to pay for it so now come threats of lawsuits, etc, etc.

Prove me wrong and let others scrutinize flight logs and you will have my profuse and humble apologies.
2017-6-20
Use props
fans776cdb0f
lvl.1
United States

You're welcome to criticize all you'd like and call what I'm saying Hyperbole, that's fine, but I genuinely hope some people take this seriously and be careful regarding RTH and autonomous flight with DJI products. I'm not really sure why anyone thinks it's a good idea for the aircraft to ascend to the RTH altitude if it's already home and in a descent, no matter what level the battery is at. That truly makes no sense at all, none. If you want to scrutinize something, start there, and ask DJI why the would program their drones to do this and let's have a debate on whether this is safe and even more important whether there is any reason for it at all.

And if some people want to make their flight logs public that's fine, but that's something I don't do, this is an anon forum and I've not asked anyone to help troubleshoot anything for me. I've told you what happened, DJI knows it by analyzing the logs, have stated in their response they don't see the problem with the aircraft climbing to the RTH altitude when it's home. So, they've acknowledged it was at home, that it was 8' off the ground and in a controlled landing descent. They are arguing that they see no problem with how the RTH is setup. So, if they see no problem with it, then I'm going to voice my opinion on it and warn those out there about this issue. And, without a doubt, the FAA is going to get the comprehensive report from DJI, then after their review they can determine if DJI is being negligent or if I don't know what I'm doing, as you and another have suggested, along with DJI.

2017-6-20
Use props
Exib
Captain
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans776cdb0f Posted at 2017-6-20 17:27
First off, you make it sound as though I am voicing my concerns for myself, that's not what I'm doing here. As a certified pilot I have a safety plan that protects myself as well as the safety of others as I am the RPIC. But, we are talking about a Mavic here, a bird in which a majority of who buys will be consumers, people that do not know all the suggestions and rules under part 107. Why would I gripe about this if it was only for the benefit of other part 107 pilots? Most of us have a safety plan and stick to it, that's not who I'm trying to help.

I've explained in great detail exactly what happened, please read the above post's by me, if you cannot derive what happened out of that I'd be glad to find some way to explain it to you in some other way?

Would you mind sharing your flight logs so that maybe this could help the DJI Mavic community
2017-6-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans776cdb0f Posted at 2017-6-20 17:27

Ok first off your analogy doesn't make any sense, if your battery reached 5% it would already be landing, critical battery on Mavic is 15% and no matter where you are your aircraft will just land, you have a very quick opportunity to pick a landing spot and that's it, so your Mavic will never reach 3% unless its landing .
Also your analogy about father and son makes no sense, if battery reaches critical it will not rise it will just land.

The reality here is dji have thought this matter out really very well, they have given pilot plenty of time to react , if you read the manual it clearly tells you about keeping away from people animals and flying in a suitable environment.
Again if your Aircraft was flying over a cliff and it reached low battery warning wouldn't you want it to ascend.
If you have a better suggestion as to what should happen on low battery, maybe you should try to debate that.
2017-6-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans776cdb0f Posted at 2017-6-20 22:54
You're welcome to criticize all you'd like and call what I'm saying Hyperbole, that's fine, but I genuinely hope some people take this seriously and be careful regarding RTH and autonomous flight with DJI products. I'm not really sure why anyone thinks it's a good idea for the aircraft to ascend to the RTH altitude if it's already home and in a descent, no matter what level the battery is at. That truly makes no sense at all, none. If you want to scrutinize something, start there, and ask DJI why the would program their drones to do this and let's have a debate on whether this is safe and even more important whether there is any reason for it at all.

And if some people want to make their flight logs public that's fine, but that's something I don't do, this is an anon forum and I've not asked anyone to help troubleshoot anything for me. I've told you what happened, DJI knows it by analyzing the logs, have stated in their response they don't see the problem with the aircraft climbing to the RTH altitude when it's home. So, they've acknowledged it was at home, that it was 8' off the ground and in a controlled landing descent. They are arguing that they see no problem with how the RTH is setup. So, if they see no problem with it, then I'm going to voice my opinion on it and warn those out there about this issue. And, without a doubt, the FAA is going to get the comprehensive report from DJI, then after their review they can determine if DJI is being negligent or if I don't know what I'm doing, as you and another have suggested, along with DJI.

Your not thinking about this correctly, if battery reaches critical it will just land nothing else happens.

If your battery reaches low battery it gives you the option to cancel RTH and land if you wish, or let Aircraft go into automatic control RTH " NOT AUTONOMOUS "which is a totally different thing.

You also have option to land your aircraft using land command.

So it's very difficult to see your point as to how this is dangerous, the fact that you have all these options makes it very safe.
2017-6-21
Use props
GTstrudl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 102615 ft
United States

To OP,

Check Mavic Pro user manual, quote "RTH Safety Notices.... Aircraft automatically descends and lands if RTH is triggered when the aircraft is within a 16 ft radius of the Home Point"
2017-6-21
Use props
fans776cdb0f
lvl.1
United States

GTstrudl Posted at 2017-6-21 04:47
To OP,

Check Mavic Pro user manual, quote "RTH Safety Notices.... Aircraft automatically descends and lands if RTH is triggered when the aircraft is within a 16 ft radius of the Home Point"

I understand, and that would had been absolutely ideal, but my aircraft Ascended within 8' of it's homepoint.

I still don't think DJI understands this and it seems like another that's replying here does either.... But, I'm not looking to argue with anyone, just warn those that have DJI products to be careful because something glitched in my aircraft and caused it to Ascend rather than Descend while at the homepoint and lower than 5%  battery. To me, that's quite dangerous if anyone is around while you're landing and at 10' or lower.
2017-6-26
Use props
Flycaster
Captain
United States

Is it at all possible, that the home point got "re-assigned"?
2017-6-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans776cdb0f Posted at 2017-6-26 11:28
I understand, and that would had been absolutely ideal, but my aircraft Ascended within 8' of it's homepoint.

I still don't think DJI understands this and it seems like another that's replying here does either.... But, I'm not looking to argue with anyone, just warn those that have DJI products to be careful because something glitched in my aircraft and caused it to Ascend rather than Descend while at the homepoint and lower than 5%  battery. To me, that's quite dangerous if anyone is around while you're landing and at 10' or lower.

Then there is something seriously wrong with your aircraft, critical battery is 16% so it would be impossible for your aircraft to be flying at 5% unless it was landing or returning home.

The truth is your case is a one off, this does not happen with any other aircraft and there are no other cases around here of aircraft flying at 5%. Once your aircraft reaches 16% it will RTH unless AC thinks it dose not have enough power to get home and will just land.

I see the problem here is this is clearly either an isolated case or the information your giving here is wrong, but have decided not to help others by not putting up your logs which is entirely up to you.

But coming here on the forum and saying that this is a serious problem with dji AC just isn't true in fact it's far from the truth.
As a license RC pilot the fact that your aircraft ascended at 5% was the least of your problems, you should have been more concerned with the fact that your aircraft was still flying around at 5% without RTH kicking in, and also for a license pilot to be flying around with only 5% battery is a real no no.

I don't think you will reply , but your lack of response just leaves me to believe that there is something not right about this story...
2017-6-26
Use props
fans776cdb0f
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-26 12:28
Then there is something seriously wrong with your aircraft, critical battery is 16% so it would be impossible for your aircraft to be flying at 5% unless it was landing or returning home.

The truth is your case is a one off, this does not happen with any other aircraft and there are no other cases around here of aircraft flying at 5%. Once your aircraft reaches 16% it will RTH unless AC thinks it dose not have enough power to get home and will just land.

I'll gladly reply to you.

You've laid a lot out and I'll do my best to respond to all of it.

Regarding my case being isolated I don't feel is so, I believe there are probably many others that had this issue happen but don't post on forums. Most everyday people don't participate in forums, I know this because I also am an Audio Engineer and while I participate in many audio forums, a lot of my colleagues don't, I'd have to imagine the same applies here.

I also don't believe there was anything seriously wrong with my aircraft, I run checks and all before flight, I'd calibrated the compass, IMU and also had 14 satellites acquired before takeoff, that's more than twice than I'm required. As to knowing any of this though, it's impossible to know, the flight logs don't say anything about any compass, GPS or IMU failures, just a gimbal motor error.

Regarding me flying my aircraft at 5% I was actually in a low altitude hover, 10' off the ground, at the homepoint and was testing how the aircraft were to respond with regard to what information was being displayed and what the aircraft was actually doing. I wasn't doing a job or around any people, and it was for the reason of me testing this aircrafts limits so that I would know what might happen if I were ever put in that situation while doing a job. Does that make sense to you? You seem to really want to point out the do's and don'ts of certified pilots, so I hope you understand what I was doing and the reason I was doing it. We all know that what DJI list's regarding flight time and flight distance is normally wrong and probably accomplished in extremely controlled environments, so I needed a real world understanding of how that aircraft behaved under extreme low battery levels. I made sure that I was at the homepoint and low altitude in case it were to land itself or just fall, in that case it wouldn't had done any damage because of how low I was. I was fully expecting the aircraft to if anything simply land, I was not prepared for it to ascend, it was not supposed to.

Regarding me not telling the truth I have no reason to lie, I'm simply trying to help others, I would even imagine that some that have seen this thread are more the wiser, it would had been great to know for myself something like this could had occurred, so I'm hopeful folks will take this information and be fully aware that just because DJI says the aircraft will perform a smart landing in the battery failsafe RTH, it may not be so and to use caution. I'm not really sure why you specifically seem so against me putting this information out there without me posting my flight logs. As soon as this case is completed and DJI explains why the aircraft malfunctioned I will post the logs along with their response, until then I'd rather  not post them.

2017-6-26
Use props
fans776cdb0f
lvl.1
United States

Flycaster Posted at 2017-6-26 12:15
Is it at all possible, that the home point got "re-assigned"?

If it did, it did so on it's own, which is a bit scary.

But I was never notified that the homepoint had been updated during the flight, but once DJI examines further into this I'm hopeful they will provide an explanation as to what malfunctioned in the aircraft, and if it did reassign the homepoint, why on earth would it had done that on it's own and not notified the pilot.

2017-6-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans776cdb0f Posted at 2017-6-26 14:44
I'll gladly reply to you.

You've laid a lot out and I'll do my best to respond to all of it.

You seem to want to fudge what I am saying so I'll try to make it as simple as I can. If you could just answer my questions please.

1/ the AC cannot fly around on 5% battery IMPOSSIBLE, It must either be in RTH or landing.
Q/ how were you flying around at 5%
Q/ did you not get low battery. This would have come before 16%

How does what you say happened help others, when it has never happened before and your not prepared to put up the log to help others, you say people don't report this kind of strange thing on forums. But this would be the very thing people would report to forums.

I don't doubt your wanting to help people, but coming up with something that I have never seen reported before, then most people would want to see the proof you already have, because it must show in your log your AC flying around at 5%.
What your saying is bizarre and extremely unusual and goes against anything that is said in the manual, so you must see how hard such a thing is to believe.

2017-6-26
Use props
Six6Sics 4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164236 ft
Australia

I believe there is a reason the flight logs aren't being posted.....
2017-6-26
Use props
fans776cdb0f
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-26 15:17
You seem to want to fudge what I am saying so I'll try to make it as simple as I can. If you could just answer my questions please.

1/ the AC cannot fly around on 5% battery IMPOSSIBLE, It must either be in RTH or landing.

I explained in depth in my post to you what I was doing, I'm not sure I can elaborate any further for you. Flying around, I wasn't flying around, I was hovering in a test conducting how the aircraft reacted versus what was being displayed on my screen, of course I'd been given low battery warnings, but my understanding was the aircraft would land inside the 5m radius, not ascend as if it were not at the homepoint. I mean I honestly do not know any other way to explain to you further than I did in my last post to you.

And I don't understand how someone can assume because something is unprecedented to them hasn't already occurred. And no, actually, most would not come here to voice something like this, a majority would contact DJI, send it in, get the bill and pay it and go back to flying. This is a relatively new technology and new aircraft as well.

You have your opinions, I have mine, and if you can't get your answers from me in the extremely long post I made just for you and you alone, I don't know what else I can do for you, sorry.

2017-6-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans776cdb0f Posted at 2017-6-27 00:59
I explained in depth in my post to you what I was doing, I'm not sure I can elaborate any further for you. Flying around, I wasn't flying around, I was hovering in a test conducting how the aircraft reacted versus what was being displayed on my screen, of course I'd been given low battery warnings, but my understanding was the aircraft would land inside the 5m radius, not ascend as if it were not at the homepoint. I mean I honestly do not know any other way to explain to you further than I did in my last post to you.

And I don't understand how someone can assume because something is unprecedented to them hasn't already occurred. And no, actually, most would not come here to voice something like this, a majority would contact DJI, send it in, get the bill and pay it and go back to flying. This is a relatively new technology and new aircraft as well.

Nothing about this makes any sense,

I don't see how showing your logs now as opposed to after dji makes a decision, which you have already said in above post they did.

As your story stands it's beyond belief ,I have never seen one like it, and if it happened to me I wouldn't think twice about setting out to prove it, but your reluctance to put up your logs tells me we are not seeing the whole story.
2017-6-27
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

fans776cdb0f Posted at 2017-6-27 00:59

I'm not sure I can elaborate any further

There's no need to try; just upload the flight log, which would take less time than another lengthy reply and would be a lot more convincing than anything you can say. Hallmark and others have asked you to upload the log, and refusing to do so is also fairly convincing in its own way.

P.S. The FAA won't have any interest at all in your crash unless you're also claiming that your Mavic brought down a manned aircraft on its way to hitting the side of your house. But of course your "contact at the FAA" would have already informed you of this by now, right?
2017-6-27
Use props
Flycaster
Captain
United States

Why did you "calibrate the IMU, and the compass"? Were you prompted to ? The manual states to ONLY calibrate IMU or the compass if prompted to do so. If done incorrectly, that can cause a myriad of issues.
I think some folks still hold onto the "calibrate every flight location", which is leftover legacy from the P1/2 days, where there were real issues with "flyaways".

The logs will tell you everything, and there are a few GREAT folks here that are willing to help. Let them see your logs (nobody is going to come "looking" for you), and they will try to help you out, and maybe, they might spot something that will, indeed, be able to push this back onto DJI responsibility to the care/refresh program.

Edit: just noticed the date of the last post, and it seems to a "dead issue"? Nevermind.........
2017-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules