973 0 2017-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Knipey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32126 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ok people, super stoked to have been selected to be able to take part in the Beta testing of the eagerly anticipated wired video adapter.  

Before using this I didn't feel that there was much of a latency issue but most definitely a speed and quality stream issue so thank you DJI for pulling this one out of the bag.  

- Video review can be found here -

My Wifi opinion:

Pros

-Convenience (nothing to forget or carry)

-Less bulk

-Works with both IOS and Android  

Cons  

-Slow to connect sometimes  

-Video streaming quality can be an issue  

-Latency can sometimes be an issue  

-Random live feed refreshing and pixelating  

-Putting the Osmo into standby to change the lens and result in loss of connection or at least a delay when trying to regain the live preview

-Switching the Osmo off to change the battery WILL most definitely result in the loss of the Wifi connection, if somewhere local where you have known wifi connections your mobile device will almost always reconnect to that know wifi spot meaning once you power the Osmo on you will have to go back into the Wifi setting, wait for the Osmo to appear, reconnect to the Osmo, come out of the app, re-open the DJI Go app, wait for the device to become visible before then being able to select camera. VERY FRUSTRATING especially when you are on the go and every second counts

-Wifi drains your device more quickly

My Wired Adapter opinion:

Cons

-More bulk, some sort of cable tidy system is necessary to avoid potential snagging if you are an active videographer  

-Something else to remember to take or lose ;)

-Currently only working with Android, BIG disappointment for me

Pros

-Improvement in video feed quality, I have had some occasions where the live preview over Wifi has been somewhat poor to the point where it was difficult to tell where my focus point was. Using the wired video adaptor had greatly improved this and now provides pin sharp video quality in the live preview

-Latency - Since making the video I have been using the wired video adapter a little more and have noticed a definite reduction in latency, not much but enough for the eye to tell and to be able to time a shot with better precision.  

-Speed!!! Now putting the Osmo into standby to change a lens or turning it off to change a battery for to wait for the next piece of action at an event is no longer an issue. Switch the Osmo back on and hey presto, the app will automatically open and jump straight into live preview mode ready for you to start shooting again.  

- Saves a ton of battery not having to use Wifi especially when I am on a long shoot, I have 4 Osmo batteries but only one phone or tablet battery to work with so being able to put my device into flight mode greatly increases my working time and productivity

So that said guys this wired video adaptor is most definitely a step in the right direction and something that I personally have been waiting for a very long time.  

If you have an IOS device then please be patient and see what DJI can come up with or what workaround someone can think ok ;)  

If you have an android device as a main device or if you are like me and you can drop on a cheap android device which I have now done to be able to use that device purely for the purposes of an Osmo/Mavic screen therefore freeing up my personal device then don't hesitate, go out and get this wired adapter immediately!!!

Thanks for taking the time to read this review

Kind regards,  

Steve Knipe  

2017-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules