DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update
3626 28 2017-5-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Seems we will all require a new APP update or have restricted flying.

https://www.suasnews.com/2017/05 ... drones-next-update/
2017-5-20
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

so what i get is if you dont upgrade the app and other FW you will be restricted to limited distance like in beginner mode?

but if you update the app and other FW then you just need to have some kinda cell service and then log in, to then get full distance and restricted height of 400ft?
2017-5-20
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

And what if i do not update and do not connect to the internet?
I am no connecting to the Inernet, my p3p is running on 1.7 and 2.4.2 app.

How far old firmwares are affected?

DJI is enforcing updates by disabling already sold product.

Better downgrade your stuf as deep as you can, because after that update  you will totally dependable of DJI and your stuff will not take off  before checking and updating NFZ's.

Another crucial change in already sold product. I think it may be a  reason for return product, especially by the law of European Union  countries and i have hope a people will return that crap and DJI get  financial impact.

From a point of view of air-law in my country - there is nothing  required by a law what DJI is bringing here - GO HOME DJI - nobody want  or need you there.

Really good of a piece of engineering work, but terrible policy.   All  GEO crap should be optional, all NFZ should be optional because a  responsibility is in a hands of UAV operator.
GEO may have good informational role, and it that would be really good ONLY when it would inform about potential danger.
After information, a decision about flying should be up to UAV operator, without communication with DJI.

Unfortunately, DJI want to be a airspace gatekeeper. Nobody like gatekeeper on free area, and airspace IS free are as roads are.
Cars are not requiring authorisations and they have no NoDriveZones implemented. Responsibility is up to the driver.

I think it update will open the box of pandora and after that, every update of NFZ or Geo will enforce you to connect, download, limit your already sold device or it will be locked.
2017-5-20
Use props
Hawk Wingover
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Ebay here we come, there will be another p3p on ebay soon and thats the end of me and dji. Nobody likes being forced into anything out of the blue, and this is after the sale has taken place, this should be for the sale of new drones after a certain date and customers should be made aware before purchase . What would happen if you buy a car only to be told 12 months later you can only drive it 10 miles a day. There must be a law against  this sort of thing, this is just wrong.
2017-5-20
Use props
Dezy
lvl.2
United States

I was considering buying a Phantom for an upcoming gig - I think I'll wait to see if they follow thru with this. If I'm not able to control the "tool" I'm considering purchasing, that would be a deal breaker.........
2017-5-20
Use props
Churubusco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36 ft

United States

Does anyone know if this will have any effect on Litchi users?
2017-5-20
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I was just gonna say, what if you're using Litchi?  For example, I happily avoided the cinderlbock DJI dropped on all the P2V(+) range extenders and the only reason it missed mine is because I was on Litchi and was not forced into an update.  All the poor dumb folks dutifully using the DJI app got their hardware permanently bricked with no recourse other than to replace their DJI RE 500/700.  Those innocent DJI consumers whose only crime was doing exactly what DJI wanted them to do were victimized and were never compensated.  It's been over a year now.  Point is, one might suspect there could be an advantage to using a third party flight app in these situations.
2017-5-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Let's not get carried away by this. Firstly there is no firm evidence that this is true. And secondly, if you are still running on old firmware and app, then it weill not have any effect on you anyway.
2017-5-20
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

Does this mean long distance flights will be restricted moving forward depending on regional regulations?
2017-5-20
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2017-5-20 14:50
Let's not get carried away by this. Firstly there is no firm evidence that this is true. And secondly, if you are still running on old firmware and app, then it weill not have any effect on you anyway.

The link to the original dji release http://www.dji.com/mobile/newsroom/news/dji-updates-process-for-activating-software-and-firmware-updates
2017-5-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-5-20 15:21
The link to the original dji release http://www.dji.com/mobile/newsroom/news/dji-updates-process-for-activating-software-and-firmware-updates

Still won't affect me, I'm on really old firmware.
2017-5-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

According to at least one DJI source SUASnews is misleading you
http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... page-2#post-1185138
2017-5-20
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Right, but the notification itself reads:

This new step, to take effect at the end of next week, ensures you will use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for your aircraft, as determined by your geographical location and user profile.

That sentence quite clearly states that flight functions will be determined by your location, no?
2017-5-21
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
Flight distance : 412835 ft
  • >>>
United States

All I can say is that if I find any additional restrictions, such as limiting distance or height. I'll have 3 machines on eBay faster than you can say firmware update.  What I believe this will do is help those who travel to stay within the laws of the country you are visiting - let's hope that's all this is.  I've spent over $4K with DJI but have no issue selling it all, I have several Yuneec machines that work just fine.  The only real loss would be the 20mp camera on my P4P.   

DJI needs to add some clarity to the statement.  For instance, will I still have the ability to turn off the 400ft limit?  Will I still be limited by the singal strength of the transmitter or will there be a hard distance limit?  And what if I'm flying in an area with no internet connections?  Will I be restricted?  How will that work?  Do I only need the internet connection for the initial registration or each and every flight?  Hate to be restricted just because I'm out in the country.  

In other words, what is actually changing?   The official statement is thin and poorly written at best.  Let's add some clairity to the statement DJI!

2017-5-21
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Roach Posted at 2017-5-21 05:21
All I can say is that if I find any additional restrictions, such as limiting distance or height. I'll have 3 machines on eBay faster than you can say firmware update.  What I believe this will do is help those who travel to stay within the laws of the country you are visiting - let's hope that's all this is.  I've spent over $4K with DJI but have no issue selling it all, I have several Yuneec machines that work just fine.  The only real loss would be the 20mp camera on my P4P.   

DJI needs to add some clarity to the statement.  For instance, will I still have the ability to turn off the 400ft limit?  Will I still be limited by the singal strength of the transmitter or will there be a hard distance limit?  And what if I'm flying in an area with no internet connections?  Will I be restricted?  How will that work?  Do I only need the internet connection for the initial registration or each and every flight?  Hate to be restricted just because I'm out in the country.  

X2

wondering the same, as well as what happens when im flying my P3 4K with my tablet? the tablet is connected to the wifi of RC/AC so does that mean i will have to fly my P3 4K with my smaller screened cell phone?
2017-5-21
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-5-21 01:54

This new step, to take effect at the end of next week, ensures you will use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for your aircraft, as determined by your geographical location and user profile.

Seems to be more about simplifying the process for gaining authorisation to fly in restricted areas, the current system is giving DJI too much work to do and the new system will give the work to the pilot, they will self authorise, however they will also have to take responsibility since there is a requirement that to self authorise they must be registered and identifiable so that their details can be passed to the authorities in the event of an airliner being brought down.

"In the event of an aviation safety or law enforcement investigation that compels us to disclose information, our verification partner may provide information about the credit card or mobile phone number used to verify the DJI account that unlocked an Authorization Zone at the location, date, and time in question. This creates a path to accountability in the event of an incident without requiring burdensome up-front collection of personal information, and we feel strikes the right balance at this time."
http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system

Probably something that we should support, as long as we intend to fly responsibly.
2017-5-21
Use props
SFGiants24
lvl.2
Flight distance : 394524 ft

United States

DJI stopped updating firmware for P3 series several months ago. I haven't updated since last year. I'm not sure they can force this update.
2017-5-22
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 922 ft
United States

Thanks DJI - but no thanks.  I'll just stick with what I know works.
2017-5-22
Use props
randaljds
lvl.2
Flight distance : 148612 ft
Australia

Frankly speaking if there is potential for any liability on the drone manufacturers behalf for what we do with equipment purchased from them, if they have the ability to, they would/will minimise their potential exposure to such liability! Not to do so would not make sense in the business world.

Also, DJI would just be the first (maybe) to implement restrictions. Do you not all believe that others will follow suit soon after? It will happen either voluntarily or via a forced hand at a legislative level...
2017-5-23
Use props
SimonH78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Was this a "fake news" story then.... ??
2017-5-25
Use props
Mr Pete
lvl.2
Flight distance : 404219 ft
United Kingdom

The Roach Posted at 2017-5-21 05:21

Up vote 'The Roach' comment as it's asking the right questions for a response from DJI.....
2017-5-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mr Pete Posted at 2017-5-25 01:10
Up vote 'The Roach' comment as it's asking the right questions for a response from DJI.....

Except it really won't get a response. DJI have never responded to these issues, they just pull their heads in and weather the storm.
2017-5-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-5-20 14:50

I feel that waiting it out is to my benefit. And I normally update my firmware, first thing... ;-)

It's a crying shame that many here will be offended and turned off,  by this new restrictive nonsense.
Going down hill without brakes....
When push comes to shove, Good luck. Haha

RedHotPoker
2017-5-25
Use props
New Drone User
New
Australia

Soooo I live in Australia this update would affect us also ?
2017-5-25
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

New Drone User Posted at 2017-5-25 02:07
Soooo I live in Australia this update would affect us also ?

Only if you want to fly in restricted areas, and then it will make things easier.
2017-5-25
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-5-21 01:54

It always has depending on if you are in or near a no fly zone.. This is just going to update and improve the data set from what information I have seen.  
2017-5-25
Use props
Spyder3534
lvl.3
Flight distance : 32375 ft
United States

Well its Thursday... wheres the update?  I've got a flight planned for tomorrow morning.
2017-5-25
Use props
Mallettron
lvl.3
Flight distance : 82641 ft
United Kingdom

Flown p4 wwith go and litchi today, no update no problems
2017-5-25
Use props
crash1sttime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

I think the intention is to make sure you all use the latest firmware or your drone will be restricted, its to ensure that you all have the latest firmware with no fly zones etc to assist with safer flying.
2017-5-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules