Choppy video when drag panning [example]
2744 8 2017-5-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rualark
lvl.1
Russia

Hi!

I got my Dji Osmo+ a week ago. Nice camera!
Yet I found a problem with Drag Focus panning using Camera View when mounted on a tripod. Video is choppy.
Here are examples:

Most noticeable chops are at 01:17 and 01:33 in this video. I have more videos with chops. These strange chops seem to happen randomly. Usually a chop happens every 10-30 seconds.

WiFi 2.4Ghz used MicroSD card: Samsung microSDXC Pro UHS-I U3 64Gb Class10 (90Mbps read, 80Mbps write)
Osmo settings attached.

I need Osmo for smooth panning on tripod, so this issue is a problem for me. Please help.

2017-05-20 18.19.28.png
2017-05-20 18.20.27.png
2017-05-20 18.21.07.png
2017-5-20
Use props
Rualark
lvl.1
Russia

Addition: video in Camera View is also very choppy, but this is not a big problem, because only chops that I show in video are recorded in footage.I just think what can be a problem causing this. Is it choppy gimbal movement or choppy video recording? Seems that gimbal movement is choppy. Can this be a result of wifi signal problem?
2017-5-20
Use props
Rualark
lvl.1
Russia

Video recording settings used: 1920x1080, 30fps. In Adobe Premiere I see that movement stops for 5 frames.
2017-5-20
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

I've noticed the same in very slow pans with my osmo original. I don't know if the Osmo would have a minimum pan speed where it starts getting jitters. Found doing it a little quicker got rid of it.
2017-5-20
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.2
United States

The card would be the first suspect but the one you have should be more than fast enough.  But maybe try another card just to rule that out?

The glitch at 1:33 looks like a gimbal stutter to me.  I have seen a poor/intermittent wifi connection cause a gimbal stutter in my footage.  I will often toggle between the 2.4g and 5g to find the best setting for the location.  It can be tricky since the wifi video signal we get while shooting almost always stutters. I wish DJI would provide a wired video solution for X3 like they have for X5.

I assume the timeline setting you're putting the video into for playback is the exact same specs at the camera original?  If the settings are different (eg 25fps camera original in a 30fps timeline) certain editing apps will glitch as they interpolate the frames.  Look at the raw footage in QT player or the like to rule out it's not Premiere.  

Since we don't have an interlaced option with this camera, a higher frame rate, eg 60fps, should help smooth out the pan because the more frames means fewer differences between each frame.

These ideas won't solve the problem but might give you a fix if you're stuck ... Try adding a motion blur effect in Premiere.  Also in FCPX there is new optical flow transition that can be used to smooth out a glitch like @1:33.  You basically cut out the offending/overlapping frames and apply the transition to jump cut.  The transition optically morphs between the two.  It's pretty slick.  Premiere may have something similar?
2017-5-21
Use props
Rualark
lvl.1
Russia

Hi!
I found out that I was not getting notifications of thread replies to my email, so I did not know about your replies!
I tried several players and Premiere with same results.
The problem here is that stutter takes more than one frame (about 5 in my case). So increaseing frame rate will not help.
On the other hand, I found out that Primiere Warp Stabilize can totally remove this stutter with almost no quality degradation. Yet, this cannot be done all the time because some footage is poorly processed by Warp Stabilize.

Thanks for ideas!
2017-5-28
Use props
Rastus
lvl.1
Flight distance : 605210 ft
United States

I have this problem as well. Unfortunately I haven't found a solution.

2017-6-20
Use props
Rualark
lvl.1
Russia

Rastus Posted at 2017-6-20 11:38
I have this problem as well. Unfortunately I haven't found a solution.

I have not found a solution too yet
2017-6-24
Use props
Mike Mas
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

All video will chop to a point when panning. I only use 60 frames exclusively for this reason on my osmo and drones as this will lesson the jitter or chop considerably. The problem is your syncing to the frame rate in a pan. Since the frames build vertically it does not happen in a tilt shot.

Regards Mike
2017-6-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules