New Forced Registration and invasions this drone is now causing
950 4 2017-5-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

OK, things are going backwards from a usability standpoint and a privacy standpoint with the vise squeezing from all ends now.  The forced registration will make sure everything you do with your drone can be traced back to an individual now with no ability to opt out without some technical knowhow.

I was a little appalled to find the DJI Go 4 App using the phones camera and snapping a picture of the user.  How many of you know this app is doing that?  I recorded several seconds of camera time the app used.  I hope you smiled when you installed this thing.  Now it is getting far worse.

On the chopping block now:

1.  I was going to buy the Crystal Sky tablet.  This is now in question as I don't need another device phoning home and trying to control it.
2.  Due to forced registration, an obvious tracking technique to watch what users do and follow them across the web, I am now considering selling my drone.
3.  I was going to buy the DJI FPV Goggles, but since now I am not even sure I want the drone, these are now out until I decide to keep it.

I started researching Parrot drones today as a possible replacement.  While not as nice, I am sure it is a matter of time until they catch up.  The Disco might be the best FPV type drone there is though.

To DJI:  Americans value their privacy.  This may not be a normal thing in China, but here we do, and I think Europe it is mandatory with some rather large fines if you do not follow the rules.  What safegaurds or opt out measures are you going to offer us in the future?  This is an important subject now I think as it is becoming overwhelming in your desire to collect user data.  To claim it is for Geodata is nonsense.  You know the location of the drone so the argument to login is garbage.  Please respond to how you plan to address privacy in future updates.

2017-5-20
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Apparently it is not forced, so take off your tin foil hat and rejoin the party.
2017-5-20
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-5-20 19:47
Apparently it is not forced, so take off your tin foil hat and rejoin the party.

I got a notification on my app today saying it is forced and I have 1 week to comply.  

Tin foil hat not required.  You will be forced to register.
2017-5-20
Use props
bochen7
lvl.2
United States

Easy fix, get black tape, block your cameras on your phone, tablet.

I'm not even being sarcastic. In this day and age, it is the prudent thing to do.
2017-5-20
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

bochen7 Posted at 2017-5-20 19:52
Easy fix, get black tape, block your cameras on your phone, tablet.

That is just the camera portion, and doesn't solve the overriding arrogance that this is OK.  Yes, I have the knowledge to block it, but this still allows them to prey on the ignorant worldwide.
2017-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules