Mavic in Checked Luggage, RC and Batteries Carry on
7754 8 2017-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Maverick_1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 332687 ft
Australia

I'm heading overseas soon and wonder if there's any issue with putting my Mavic in my checked luggage without the battery (I have a hard case for it). I would take the batteries and RC as carry on but I'm assuming there's no safety issues with the bird going in my suitcase sans battery. I don't really trust baggage handlers but figure the Mavic is designed to handle a bit of a rough ride.

Is the RC also safe in checked luggage due to the enclosed non removable battery?

Anyone done this before or have thoughts?
2017-5-21
Use props
FlyingSmasher
lvl.2
United States

If you are going to check the mavic in the  luggage then put the gimbal lock and the foam piece to really secure it. MHO, I will bring it in with me as a carry on. RC in checked luggage, for extra safety, as long as you discharge the RC you sould not have a problem.
2017-5-21
Use props
Dronaldo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 606601 ft
United States

You should keep it in the bagpack
No issue carrying the drone with you all the time
2017-5-21
Use props
garbun629
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6168 ft
Canada

Also,  I would suggest to put the batteries inside Lipo bag...
I'm travelling soon as well.
2017-5-21
Use props
Maverick_1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 332687 ft
Australia

Thanks for the replies. I have LiPo bags for all my batteries and terminal covers. The Mavic and RC would be in F/Stop labs hardshell housings. Gimbal Lock def on too.  

2017-5-21
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

Dronaldo Posted at 2017-5-21 19:11
You should keep it in the bagpack
No issue carrying the drone with you all the time

yeah careful about that. as far as i know, emirates does not allow the drone in the cabin.
2017-5-21
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

here it is:
https://www.emirates.com/ch/engl ... ing-dangerous-goods

Drones are not allowed as cabin baggage

For safety reasons, we can’t allow drones on board as cabin baggage. Drones can be accepted as checked-in baggage only. If you have a drone in your checked-in baggage you’ll be asked to either secure the Lithium batteries within the drone or remove the batteries and carry them in your cabin baggage. This regulation still applies even if you’re connecting to our flights from an airline that has accepted drones as cabin baggage.
2017-5-21
Use props
Swedrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I tried it last week, they didn't´t even bother in the security check. Not like when I was traveling with my P4 and they swabbed it every time.
2017-5-22
Use props
Swedrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

The drone is not the problem, it´s not like you intend to fly it onboard the plane. The batteries however is another matter and from what I have learned from those airlines I have traveled with they rather have the batteries in the cabin than in the cargo bay. Some airlines have a limit on the wattage. Just do the calulations on your batteries and bring a printed copy of the rules to the security check.
2017-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules